Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tendulkar targets 15,000 Test runs, Winning 2011 World Cup

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Against Australia and South Africa obviously.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Vice-Captain
    I think its a stretch of india ever being no 1 in tests s africa and australia have highe % wins,india has a higher % of drawn tests thats why they will never be no 1.
    One dayers india will probably pass s africa when they play 7 one dayers vs australia,thats unless they stuff up,which is always possible.
    15,000 runs comes down to his body,2012 thats a stretch don't see ricky pontong playing to 2012 and he is 2 years younger than sachin.
    hate to see sachin's body in 2012 if he keeps playing something like ian healeys fingers.
    Altho some indians are ultimate optimists they believe sachin will play forever,but he is only human.
    The 2010/11 world cup is a more realistic target and thats with retiring from test cricket in 12 months.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    He won't do the 15,000 with injuries,he may have to play to 2012/13 to get those runs and he will be 41/42.
    World cup possible if fit.
    I don't see him playing australia in 3 years.
    His body is a mess.
    I guess all he can do is try.
    If i was him tho i would retire after the next world cup,15000 out of range.
    Well sad that Tendulkar does not agree with you on his own state of body.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    His aim is to get 15000 runs but no mention of helping India reach number 1.
    Ah the selfish guy, isn't he? When asked about his personal goals? Oh and the talk of winning the world cup, that is also selfish is it not?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    Is he touring Australia in 2011/12? Depends on if he hits 15,000 before then.

Would be great for team morale if he was on14,999 after the tests against West Indies in India.

"Guys, I'm just touring so I can score 1 run because Sunny Gavaskar said I have to"

Though I'm willing to bet Tendulkar's goal is to retire after the Pakistan tour of India in 2012. That will give him plenty of time to get 15,000.
    Nonsense. Touring Australia is nothing. He has made his mark there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Yeah, I reckon a few posters here are taking Sachin's intentions where they clearly don't lie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    I think its a stretch of india ever being no 1 in tests s africa and australia have highe % wins,india has a higher % of drawn tests thats why they will never be no 1.
    One dayers india will probably pass s africa when they play 7 one dayers vs australia,thats unless they stuff up,which is always possible.
    15,000 runs comes down to his body,2012 thats a stretch don't see ricky pontong playing to 2012 and he is 2 years younger than sachin.
    hate to see sachin's body in 2012 if he keeps playing something like ian healeys fingers.
    Altho some indians are ultimate optimists they believe sachin will play forever,but he is only human.
    The 2010/11 world cup is a more realistic target and thats with retiring from test cricket in 12 months.
    Is it a crime to be an optimist?

Banned
    I too really hope Tendulkar goes and achieves the 15k mark. But do I expect him to? No. He has done what 95% of people playing at the top level cannot even dream of. Hats off to the guy to still keep dreaming and get driven by that. Instead of trying to find faults in his each and every word, and thereby act like total morons, I wish people realised the extent of what the guy has done over his career spanning two decades. To retain the same level of drive even after playing so many games, makes him a real master and professional.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    I can't imagine the pressure these guys are going to face during the 2011 World Cup. It is all going to depend on whether the younger brigade can handle it.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Nonsense. Touring Australia is nothing. He has made his mark there.
    Just because he has a good record in Aus doesn't mean it comes easily. And Australia is not the hardest place to bat if you're fit and mentally prepared. We dont doctor pitches to produce the results we want so batsmen can do well if they're good enough.

And in 2011/12 India will most likely face the strongest Australian bowling attack since 99/2000 where he averaged 46 when he was at the peak of his game.

But retiring after a home series against Pakistan would definitely be a good way to go. The BCCI probably already have $$ in their eyes over the prospect.
    Last edited by slippyslip; 10-08-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    Just because he has a good record in Aus doesn't mean it comes easily. And Australia is not the hardest place to bat if you're fit and mentally prepared. We dont doctor pitches to produce the results we want so batsmen can do well if they're good enough.

And in 2011/12 India will most likely face the strongest Australian bowling attack since 99/2000 where he averaged 46 when he was at the peak of his game.

But retiring after a home series against Pakistan would definitely be a good way to go. The BCCI probably already have $$ in their eyes over the prospect.
    BS. Even at their peak. Johnson & Co are hardly going to make even 50% impact that McGrath and Warne did. Tendulkar showed how dominant and dismissive of the current Aussie bowling crop by showing what he is capable in the last two series.

Oh by the way, Tendulkar averages 56 in Australia, including series that he played as a teenager against Merv Hughes & Co. Surely, they are a cakewalk as per your argument is it not?

Also, I'd gladly take that average of 46 against McGrath and Warne combined at their peak, with added burdens of being the only batsman who was performing and also considering he was at the rough end of atleast two dubious dismissals in that tour.
    Last edited by Pigeon; 10-08-2009 at 02:59 AM.

I really hopes he will be able to reach the 15.000, would be awesome.
    I learnt so much from him when it comes to batting, he deserves it.

Concerning the WC, if India had taken him in the squad 2 months ago, I assume we talk about T20, who knows where they could have ended. But at this stage I prefer a SA vs AUS final.
    Amobokobokoboko envolved in the noble game of cricket

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26925250@N06/3350344319/

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    What Tendulkar really wants but isn't saying is to get a century of international centuries. He has 85 of them already (42 plus 43). By saying he wants 15000 runs, he is wanting to score just under 2300 more Test runs. By his recent years' performance that should take just over three years in which time he should get about 7-9 odd more Test centuries.During the same period he should expect to score another 4-5 ODI hundreds which will bring him very close to that 100 century mark Of course with a couple more to go he will play long enough to get them.

He said many years ago, when asked if he had any target in mind, that he had but would not like to disclose it. I have always felt that target is a hundred international hundreds. The individual aggregates for tests or for ODI's might get overtaken but to get a hundred centuries is going to take some beating. He doesn't want to say it for it builds un-necessary pressure from the media. Already we have seen how he has become more vulnerable in the nineties in this the last stage of his career than he ever was. Thats his own internal pressure for his dream objective. If the whole world starts talking about it, it will be simply too much and we know the extent to which the Indian media is capable of going to build up hype.

U19 Debutant
    well the 15k runs is pretty much in the bag, im thinking he should go for
    a) 55 test centuries
    b) 15k+ runs
    c) world cup 2011 win
    d) 50 odi centuries

and then just retire gracefully, it'll suck though

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miscer View Post
    well the 15k runs is pretty much in the bag, im thinking he should go for
    a) 55 test centuries
    b) 15k+ runs