Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated gems

Banned

Underrated gems

I am starting this thread to talk about underrated/unknown gems of performances.

To start with :

Tendulkar's least-talked about masterpiece

West Indies Vs India
    3rd Test Match
    Calcutta (Kolkota)
    Oct-Nov 2002

India batted first and scored 358 runs on a typical Indian track, thanks to small individual contributions throughout, although none of them scored a 50. West Indies responded to this in spectacular fashion scoring 497 with three of their batsmen scoring centuries. India facing a deficit of 139 runs, started poorly losing 2 wickets for just 11 runs when Tendulkar walked in. It became worse and India stared at defeat when the score read 87-4, still 42 runs behind. Laxman joined Tendulkar at this crucial juncture.

What followed was a chalk and cheese counter attack. Tendulkar was sublime yet aggressive, while Laxman played a watch-the-paint-dry innings. Both of them were involved in a partnership of 211 runs out of which Tendulkar accounted for a majority chunk. In fact, when Tendulkar was dismissed for 176 crucial runs, he had accounted for a whopping 58% of the then Indian total of 301, despite coming at 2 down. He also scored these runs at a good SR of 60 on a last day pitch. Laxman ensured that his good work did not go down the drains, and with the help of tailend batsmen, India salvaged a draw by scoring 471-8 wickets and thus ensured they won the series 2-0.

3rd Test: India v West Indies at Kolkata, Oct 30-Nov 3, 2002 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Kamran Akmal match winning hundred against India in Karachi on a green top. He came in when Pakistan were almost finished at 39/6.

Excellent idea for a thread Pigeon. Should be a good read.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Pretty crappy WIndies attack though, it must be said.
    ★★★★★

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Pretty crappy WIndies attack though, it must be said.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Michael Vaughan's second-innings 41 at Lord's in 2000 and first-innings 26 at SSC in 2000/01. Not remotely eye-catching innings in general context, but if you look at the matches in themselves you'll realise how incredibly important they were. Both games finished in less than three days' worth of playing time, and in both of them Vaughan played second fiddle in the partnership that decided the match in England's favour (first with Atherton, then Thorpe). Those innings' were worth more than several of his centuries on flat decks against nothing bowling in 2002 and early-2003.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Vaughan's 100 against India in 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Banned
    Pontings 88 against the WI in Brisbane in 96 when he belted Ambrose.

And again at Bridgetown with 104 when he again belted Ambrose around.

He also played a gem in Melbourne in 97 scoring 105 smashing Donald and Pollock everywhere.

Azhar and Tendulkar's blietzgriek v RSA in 1997 (away). Was some of the best strokes on display you will ever see. True gems.

Is it a test match only discussion? If ODIs are allowed, I would vote for Sachin's 143 at Sharjah in 1998 and Chris Cairns 100 at the 2000 Knockout final.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Is it a test match only discussion? If ODIs are allowed, I would vote for Sachin's 143 at Sharjah in 1998 and Chris Cairns 100 at the 2000 Knockout final.
    Erm, that is very much appreciated over the years. I am talking about "underrated" gems.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Tendulkar's desert storm innings have got quite a bit of attention, I believe.

State Vice-Captain
    The most underrated innings would be Azhar Mahmood's 132 against SA in Durban in 1998. He pushed Pakistan from 153-8 to 259 by smacking around Donald, Pollock and co. on a spicy pitch.

2nd Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Durban, Feb 26-Mar 2, 1998 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Excellent Idea for a thread. One of the most under-rated century is Dilip Sardesai's 212 in the first test against WI in 1971.

1st Test: West Indies v India at Kingston, Feb 18-23, 1971 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Much has been made of Sunny Gavaskar's performance in that series and deservedly so, but IMO it was Sardesai who set the tone by scoring a double tone in the first test of the series. Highly underrated Indian cricketer and the most underrated innings by an Indian batsman IMO.

State Vice-Captain
    Another gem is the century by Pat Symcox, of all people, against Pakistan in Johannesburg in 1998. Given that SA were 166-8, and he pulled them to 364, against an in-form attack of Waqar, Shoaib, Mushtaq, and Saqlain, this is probably one of the greatest innings ever by a tailender.

1st Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Johannesburg, Feb 14-18, 1998 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information