Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underrated gems

Not sure how much credit this one gets but in the Don's last innings where he was dismisssed for a duck,having only needed 4 runs to achieve a career average of 100, AR Morris made 196 out of a total of 389 for Australia. More than an entire England line up managed in either of their innings of 52 & 188. Only 2 other 50s in the match.

5th Test: England v Australia at The Oval, Aug 14-18, 1948 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

This second-innings 104* from Thorpe against New Zealand in 2004;

3rd Test: England v New Zealand at Nottingham, Jun 10-13, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

One may say it was only New Zealand, but regardless he came to the crease at 46/3 chasing 284 and ushered the lower order superbly well. For some reason i've just always remembered this innings; sums up Graham Thorpe perfectly.
    Heads, Shoulders, Knees, John Stones

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Steve Waugh's 50-60 odd in the rained out test v WI in 1995 on an absolute green top. Was the match where he and Ambrose had their tete-a-tete.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The rained-out one was the Second Test of that series TBH, and the crazily green deck where Waugh and Ambrose had that slanging match was the Third, which West Indies won.

But yeah Waugh's 60-odd (which I've always heard was chanceless) barely gets a mention compared to his 199 (or was it 200?) where Courtney Browne dropped the easiest chance ever on 42 and cost the game, the series and West Indies' everlasting unbeaten record. But it was surely a better knock.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But yeah Waugh's 60-odd (which I've always heard was chanceless) barely gets a mention compared to his 199 (or was it 200?) where Courtney Browne dropped the easiest chance ever on 42 and cost the game, the series and West Indies' everlasting unbeaten record. But it was surely a better knock.
    Waugh himself rates the 60-odd one of his best. The 200 is noteworthy for the occasion as much as it was a marathon knock against a tough opponent. On a far easier pitch, though.

The one that instantly comes to mind for me is Matt Elliott's 80-odd in Johannesburg. Set the tone which is exactly what a number 3 should do. Made Donald look second rate, no mean feat at that stage of his career;

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Johannesburg, Feb 28-Mar 4, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Not many to choose from in terms of Aussies, most of their good performances get their due.

Can't help but feel that Sherwin Campbell's knock in this match might have received the kudos it deserved had he managed to carry WI to the draw. Top-shelf knock and they only missed out by a few overs from memory.

1st Test: Australia v West Indies at Brisbane, Nov 22-26, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

still scratching around in the same old hole
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

kamran akmal's century against india when he came in at 39 for 6 is a very well remembered innings by most cricket fans in india/pak i think. azhar mahmood's 132 against SA even made it to the all-time top 10 knocks when wisden published its first such list in 2002. so i guess they dont qualify as underrated, though both are real gems.

one of my favorite allan border hundreds is this

2nd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 1985 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

australia was staring at certain defeat. and the skipper stalled it single handed. he had only some bunnies for support. but when did it ever matter to "captain grumpy"?

umpires also screwed it up when it rained on the last day as india was crusing to the target. after the paly was called of well ahead of time, the rain stopped and the dry ground was bathed it warm sunlight. kapil dev pleaded with them to let india bat. but allan border had already ordered his team to head to the hotel and the game was over. must have been the closest india ever came to winning a series in australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Azhar and Tendulkar's blietzgriek v RSA in 1997 (away). Was some of the best strokes on display you will ever see. True gems.
    Still consider this best 2-3 hours of batting I have ever seen, Azhar was even better then Sachin in that knock.

Jaysuriay 240 against Pakistan in 2004 where he added 101 for the 10th wicket with Fernando with Fernando's contribution being 0.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Jaysuriay 240 against Pakistan in 2004 where he added 101 for the 10th wicket with Fernando with Fernando's contribution being 0.
    1st Test: Pakistan v Sri Lanka at Faisalabad, Oct 20-24, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

For the 9th wicket, 101 runs partnership, Fernando scored 1

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Still consider this best 2-3 hours of batting I have ever seen, Azhar was even better then Sachin in that knock.
    I agree. Azhar could weave the magic wand when he had not taken money from bookies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    I agree. Azhar could weave the magic wand when he had not taken money from bookies.
    When he gets going he is as elegant as another Hyderabadi, Laxman, if not more stylish. Absolutely loved his strokeplay.

U19 Cricketer
    Cant be botherd looking up the links, But Arjuna Ranatunga made 28 not out with boken thumb against pakistan in 2000, carrying SL to win by 2 wickets.

Lance Klusener 95? against SL in kandy in 2001.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    In that same game Samaraweera played his best innings 100 out of 233. Hardly anybody remembers that

International Captain
    Dilley 56 and Old 29 at Headingley in 1981. Overshadowed by Botham's innings and Willis's bowling but both vital to the cause.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information