• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

a bonafide great and a mediocre fielder...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Running out of greats, but Laxman & Ganguly are/were both good test players and ordinary fielders.

Gus Fraser no great shakes either, but think that was maybe more of a CBA thing. Didn't think it was his job.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dainty Ironmonger isn't, I suppose, an all time great although his 70 odd test wickets at 17 apiece is a better average than some who are that highly regarded - anyway he was by all accounts the worst fielder ever to appear in Test Cricket - although he still managed to spoil one story with his fielding when he caught Harold Larwood when he was on 98 in the final test of the Bodyline series - which was also the last test either Larwood or Dainty played in

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's not forget to add that Ironmonger was 47(?) when he made his Test debut, so could be forgiven for his always poor fielding becoming arguably the worst in history by that stage.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, I always remembered Vaughan to be quite good actually. Might just be watching him when I was younger and knew less about cricket though. I think his crocked knees might have something to do with him being a bit immobile towards the end of his career though.
Never looked uncoordinated or anything, but dropped his fair share of catches.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not sure whether a massive, well-built fast bowler is any more or less likely to have a good arm whether his skin is black or any other colour TBH, but as-a-rule, quality quick bowlers have fine arms. Exceptions are very rare, in fact I can't OTTOMH think of any.
Shaun Tait doesn't have a very good wing. And my recollection of Walsh (and Ambrose) was that neither of them had the greatest throwing arms, mainly because they threw with such a side-arm motion that they would sometimes be throwing it "underarm".

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oh, and this far in and no mention of Tuffers? Disgraceful, you Englishmen. :ph34r:

Chuck Devon Malcolm in there, too?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, and this far in and no mention of Tuffers? Disgraceful, you Englishmen. :ph34r:

Chuck Devon Malcolm in there, too?
The thread title says "bonafide great and a mediocre fielder".
It would be a gross exaggeration to place either half of that description on either of those two players.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Dainty Ironmonger isn't, I suppose, an all time great although his 70 odd test wickets at 17 apiece is a better average than some who are that highly regarded - anyway he was by all accounts the worst fielder ever to appear in Test Cricket - although he still managed to spoil one story with his fielding when he caught Harold Larwood when he was on 98 in the final test of the Bodyline series - which was also the last test either Larwood or Dainty played in
Made up for any shortcomings in the field through the sheer class of his batting though...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shaun Tait doesn't have a very good wing.
Isn't that because of some sort of weakness in his shoulder that's required some surgery already?
And my recollection of Walsh (and Ambrose) was that neither of them had the greatest throwing arms, mainly because they threw with such a side-arm motion that they would sometimes be throwing it "underarm".
I have no recollection of either being particularly good throwers either, but I like you was born at around the time they were beginning their careers, so we didn't get to see them at their physical peaks.