Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a bonafide great and a mediocre fielder...

Quote Originally Posted by marcussjd9 View Post
    Yeah, Test and ODI, SA and Bangladesh it's all the same to me.
    Yeah but well remembered all the same mate - and well dug out by GIMH. Cricket chat was the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yeah but well remembered all the same mate - and well dug out by GIMH. Cricket chat was the winner.
    A chance to go 0/2 here.... but was it against South Africa where he took a catch / made an attempt to field the ball and his trousers fell down .

m.vaughan
    g.boycott
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    imran *
    ---
    kumble
    walsh
    chandrasekar

am thinking parthiv patel or dinesh karthik would be wonderful as the wk for this team. anyone worse behind the wickets you can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    m.vaughan
    g.boycott
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    imran *
    ---
    kumble
    walsh
    chandrasekar

am thinking parthiv patel or dinesh karthik would be wonderful as the wk for this team. anyone worse behind the wickets you can think of?
    Zaheer Abbas and Mo Yo should be included, cant think where you can get your keeper, maybe Dravid great bat but a very poor keeper even if he was makeshift

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    absolutely. and how about mcgill?

we have too many leggies already.

no batsmen? any opening batsman? how good was anwar? I dont remember him as a fielder at all.
    Leg-spinners, as a general rule, just aren't very good at cricket. Can't bat for ****, can't catch, turning circle and pace of frigate when fielding a ball but if they can turn the ball off the straight, they're a protected species in most teams. Lazy ****s.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In 2000 maybe, but for much of his career Walsh had a bullet arm. Not much of a catcher and not the remotest of an athlete in the field, but he could throw.
    Yeah I remember hearing about that in the early 90's, had some horrific shoulder injury which meant he had to bowl it in.

As for the thread title, one word; Boonie. Took a couple of speccy's at short leg and suddenly he's a gun fielder? **** off.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Leg-spinners, as a general rule, just aren't very good at cricket. Can't bat for ****, can't catch, turning circle and pace of frigate when fielding a ball but if they can turn the ball off the straight, they're a protected species in most teams. Lazy ****s.
    very funny.

but i can think of some counter examples.

warne was a superb fielder and a good lower order bat. benaud was a genuine bowling all rounder. faulkner was a great all-rounder equally adept at both batting and leg spin bowling.

very funny.

but i can think of some counter examples.

warne was a superb fielder and a good lower order bat. benaud was a genuine bowling all rounder. faulkner was a great all-rounder equally adept at both batting and leg spin bowling.
    Warne and Benords just improved their batting to delay having to field. Like I said, lazy.

Think T_C had one person in mind when ranting on leggies - Stuart MacGill.

Gobsmacked that Murali hasn't found himself in this thread. Worst throwing action ever when fielding.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Murali has taken the odd screamer TBF. And certainly a decent pair of hands all-in-all.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Not a "great" batsman but a fine one, and one with such a silky touch that his wooden and erratic fielding was quite incongruous: Michael Vaughan
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Hmm, I always remembered Vaughan to be quite good actually. Might just be watching him when I was younger and knew less about cricket though. I think his crocked knees might have something to do with him being a bit immobile towards the end of his career though.
    From what I remember, Vaughan was a perfectly "normal" sort of fielder in his first couple of years in Tests - not good, but certainly nothing abnormally abysmal like Mark Butcher or Monty Panesar. Then in New Zealand in 2001/02 he dropped a couple of the easiest chances you could wish to see and from then on he would make simple handling errors (ground-fielding and potential catches) with fair regularity. Was embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    Think T_C had one person in mind when ranting on leggies - Stuart MacGill.
    haha, that's one example. Also describes every leggie I've ever played with. ****s.

Running out of greats, but Laxman & Ganguly are/were both good test players and ordinary fielders.

Gus Fraser no great shakes either, but think that was maybe more of a CBA thing. Didn't think it was his job.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Dainty Ironmonger isn't, I suppose, an all time great although his 70 odd test wickets at 17 apiece is a better average than some who are that highly regarded - anyway he was by all accounts the worst fielder ever to appear in Test Cricket - although he still managed to spoil one story with his fielding when he caught Harold Larwood when he was on 98 in the final test of the Bodyline series - which was also the last test either Larwood or Dainty played in

Let's not forget to add that Ironmonger was 47(?) when he made his Test debut, so could be forgiven for his always poor fielding becoming arguably the worst in history by that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Running out of greats, but Laxman & Ganguly are/were both good test players and ordinary fielders.
    Laxman is an excellent slip catcher and always has been, even if he's a poor outfielder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information