• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

State of the game generally?????

Chuck

Cricket Spectator
Hey all,
What do people think about the selection criteria (or apparent criteria) used by various countries.
Obviously, SA are in a bit of a schemozzle, and I really think that the Waugh brothers should have been retained until the World Cup.
Then I read that the Engalnd coach is concerned that players have fronted for a series in an unfit condition! Bloody hell, how "professional" is that?
I think the same thing happened with India, their Captain being rated as one of the most unfit.
Let's face it, it's the same as a local association. It's not good when one side dominates, and the general standard drops. If all teams are having a red hot go in all depts. the standard is high, and people will flock to contests. It must be good for cricket.

My 3 cents :-))

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As much as I enjoy attacking play, I prefer to see some personality injected into the sport. I loved watching Michael Slater bat (as is obvious by my article on the front page of the site. :-D) but I also used to ove watching guys like Greenidge and Merv go at it. Even if no runs were being scored or no wickets being taken, it was thrilling stuff. Watching guys like Mike Slater and Shoab Akhtar go at it was awesome too. It was al good natured stuff but the battle was the last of its kind I've seen. That good natured rivalry is missing these days and the game is worse off for it.

Having said that, the increase in attacking play (especially in the batting) has GOT to be a good thing, as long as it's because the batsmen are bating well and not that the pitch is favourable to them. There's nothing worse than seeing a batsman pound an attack all day because the pitch is flat. Boring.

I tell you what, though. The standard of bowling, other than the greats like Glenn Mcrath etc. has declined markedly in the last few years. Line and length seems to have gone out the window and bowlers can't seem to actually bowl a decent length especially. I wonder why?

G

Just pick 3 defensive, 3 attacking batters, a 'keeper, spinner and 3 pacers

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah! And with cricket down to such a science, maybe we won't need to play the game at all! :D

Seriously, it obviously depends on the conditions (I personally don't fancy the chances of a gun-barrel straight Mattew Hoggard on a dead Indian track, myself) but I don't feel that there is a need for three defensive batsmen. I reckon you need two maximum and it depends on when you bat them. Ideally you'd want them batting at 3 and 5 with the attackers around them, unless your keeper isn't Adam Gilchrist who a super-attacker but can defend if need be.