cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Caddick to retire

Andy Caddick to retire

From the BBC.

Fine seamer on his day and a great servant to England and, in particular, Somerset. Most successful of our Antipodean poaches by some distance in any event.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    A great second inning bowler. Loved Andy Caddick. All the best for the future.

U19 Captain
    any excuse to watch this again....

YouTube - Andy Caddick 5-14 vs West Indies 2000

him and goughy were a serious new ball threat for a period, even if they didn't really get on away from the game. were superb in england's winning efforts in pakistan and sri lanka in the early part of the decade.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Vaughan, Flintoff and Caddick all announcing retirements of some form during the summer. Three great unfulfilled talents.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Vaughan, Flintoff and Caddick all announcing retirements of some form during the summer. Three great unfulfilled talents.
    Harmison's considering retirement as well apparently (or so I read) so that'd be four of that very type.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Always liked Caddick, felt he was underatted by selectors and fans, would put him up there with the best England bowlers of the last decade or so.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Mike Hussey said that Caddick was the hardest bowler he ever faced, praise indeed. Been a great servant to Zummerzet, all he best to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Pinball Champion!
    Argh, this had to be coming, what a hero though.. Top bowler, remember him from the mid nineties at the county ground in Taunton.. I imagine I've probably seen more deliveries from Caddick than any other bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Yup, and Gough and Craig White last summer as well.

Caddick has never been the force of old for a long time now, not since mid-2001 in fact, but he did have one glorious last-hurrah in 2007. In some ways I wish he'd played a last few Tests that season, he might just have been of some real use in the opening couple of matches against India. And in some ways it's a shame he's gone on as long as he has, but was a phenomenal bowler for a decade before that.

Caddick was never used properly by England - should have been a fixture between 1994 and 2002/03, but only became so in 1999, by which time he was 30 years old. Worng-headed selectorial perceptions of his diffidence is to blame, rather than any misfortune or personal failings (though obviously if Caddick had been more outgoing those misperceptions would never have had the chance to develop).
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    A great second inning bowler. Loved Andy Caddick. All the best for the future.
    Just to stress on how great a second inning bowler Caddick was for people (I understand most) who don't know. His 4th inning average is freakishly low at 17.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Really good player for mine, as has already been said he was a top servant to England, and probably unfortunate never to play for England again after that Ashes series in Australia, whenever I think of watching Cricket after just becoming a fan of the sport, I always think of him, will be missed.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Really good player for mine, as has already been said he was a top servant to England, and probably unfortunate never to play for England again after that Ashes series in Australia, whenever I think of watching Cricket after just becoming a fan of the sport, I always think of him, will be missed.
    Can someone explain to my why Caddick never played another test after the 5th test in Sydney where he bowled well and took 10 wickets and helped England win the final test?

How often is a bowler dropped after taking 10 wickets in a match against the best team in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    Can someone explain to my why Caddick never played another test after the 5th test in Sydney where he bowled well and took 10 wickets and helped England win the final test?

How often is a bowler dropped after taking 10 wickets in a match against the best team in the world?
    He got injured and never really proved he was fully fit to come back from it.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The story of English bowlers.

Speaking of injured English bowlers whats Simon Jones doing these days?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He was 35 by the time he returned in 2004 from that horrible injury, and had already been past his peak for 18 months by the time of that SCG game in 2002/03. Only once after 2001 did Caddick ever really come close to recapturing the glories of his form 1992-2000/01, that being in 2007.

IIRR, his First-Class average from 2001-2006 was something like 36-37. Whereas 1992-2000/01 it was 22.something.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information