• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Caddick to retire

BoyBrumby

Englishman
From the BBC.

Fine seamer on his day and a great servant to England and, in particular, Somerset. Most successful of our Antipodean poaches by some distance in any event.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Vaughan, Flintoff and Caddick all announcing retirements of some form during the summer. Three great unfulfilled talents.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vaughan, Flintoff and Caddick all announcing retirements of some form during the summer. Three great unfulfilled talents.
Harmison's considering retirement as well apparently (or so I read) so that'd be four of that very type.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always liked Caddick, felt he was underatted by selectors and fans, would put him up there with the best England bowlers of the last decade or so.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mike Hussey said that Caddick was the hardest bowler he ever faced, praise indeed. Been a great servant to Zummerzet, all he best to him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Argh, this had to be coming, what a hero though.. Top bowler, remember him from the mid nineties at the county ground in Taunton.. I imagine I've probably seen more deliveries from Caddick than any other bowler

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yup, and Gough and Craig White last summer as well.

Caddick has never been the force of old for a long time now, not since mid-2001 in fact, but he did have one glorious last-hurrah in 2007. In some ways I wish he'd played a last few Tests that season, he might just have been of some real use in the opening couple of matches against India. And in some ways it's a shame he's gone on as long as he has, but was a phenomenal bowler for a decade before that.

Caddick was never used properly by England - should have been a fixture between 1994 and 2002/03, but only became so in 1999, by which time he was 30 years old. Worng-headed selectorial perceptions of his diffidence is to blame, rather than any misfortune or personal failings (though obviously if Caddick had been more outgoing those misperceptions would never have had the chance to develop).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really good player for mine, as has already been said he was a top servant to England, and probably unfortunate never to play for England again after that Ashes series in Australia, whenever I think of watching Cricket after just becoming a fan of the sport, I always think of him, will be missed.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Really good player for mine, as has already been said he was a top servant to England, and probably unfortunate never to play for England again after that Ashes series in Australia, whenever I think of watching Cricket after just becoming a fan of the sport, I always think of him, will be missed.
Can someone explain to my why Caddick never played another test after the 5th test in Sydney where he bowled well and took 10 wickets and helped England win the final test?

How often is a bowler dropped after taking 10 wickets in a match against the best team in the world?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can someone explain to my why Caddick never played another test after the 5th test in Sydney where he bowled well and took 10 wickets and helped England win the final test?

How often is a bowler dropped after taking 10 wickets in a match against the best team in the world?
He got injured and never really proved he was fully fit to come back from it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He got injured and never really proved he was fully fit to come back from it.
He was 35 by the time he returned in 2004 from that horrible injury, and had already been past his peak for 18 months by the time of that SCG game in 2002/03. Only once after 2001 did Caddick ever really come close to recapturing the glories of his form 1992-2000/01, that being in 2007.

IIRR, his First-Class average from 2001-2006 was something like 36-37. Whereas 1992-2000/01 it was 22.something.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Speaking of injured English bowlers whats Simon Jones doing these days?
Currently recuperating after his latest piece of surgery. Next step will be the discovery of the next injury which will require the next piece of surgery.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

When Simon Jones got injured during the 2005 Ashes, Caddick's name was mooted, and Fletcher would, apparently, have liked to call either him or Gough up but didn't feel that either was fit enough.

Just as an aside, like.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
When Simon Jones got injured during the 2005 Ashes, Caddick's name was mooted, and Fletcher would, apparently, have liked to call either him or Gough up but didn't feel that either was fit enough.

Just as an aside, like.
Wouldn't have minded Caddick, but recalling Gough at that point would have been really awful imo, his performances against South Africa two years prior to that series were enough to demonstrate he was not up for the job.

Just a thought though, kind of sad that neither Gough nor Caddick, two of Englands most notable names for a large part of a decade never won an ashes series.