• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Caddick to retire

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What the hell are you doing making cricket posts in a serious manner? Bored or something?

Plenty of other great English players in the 90s never won an Ashes either. Hussain, Thorpe, Atherton, Fraser, I could go on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Habib was just ridiculously unlucky that Darren Maddy and Chris Adams played Test cricket in preference to him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When Simon Jones got injured during the 2005 Ashes, Caddick's name was mooted, and Fletcher would, apparently, have liked to call either him or Gough up but didn't feel that either was fit enough.

Just as an aside, like.
Wouldn't have been happy with Caddick in 2005 at all, he was as clearly out-of-nick that year as he was in 2004, 2006 and most of 2002 and 2001. But in 2007 it's a completely different matter. TBH, he had a far stronger case to play than Tremlett, even though Tremlett came in and bowled decently.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Always liked Caddy, complete legend.

Kida assumed he'd retire before the start of each of the last few county seasons though, him going grey so early made me think he was a good few years older than he actually is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reading born and bred and a product of Reading CC was Aftab - a grand lad - in Hong Kong when last i heard
Haha never knew that, given who he played for I always assumed he was from the Leicestershire area. Makes me like him even more to find out that he was from around here though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Unless I'm missing something (it's a risk with Dicko on ignore, but the alternative is worse), Aftab Habib did play tests, didn't he? Against NZ in 1999? Pretty sure he debuted before Adams or Maddy too. :unsure:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, sledger was listing him with the other English players who played Tests but never won the ashes

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would guess he's been talking about the matches where they were preferred, rather than in general

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He was 35 by the time he returned in 2004 from that horrible injury, and had already been past his peak for 18 months by the time of that SCG game in 2002/03. Only once after 2001 did Caddick ever really come close to recapturing the glories of his form 1992-2000/01, that being in 2007.

IIRR, his First-Class average from 2001-2006 was something like 36-37. Whereas 1992-2000/01 it was 22.something.
Was Taunton as notoriously flat throughout his whole career? Or is it a more modern phenomenon?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Was Taunton as notoriously flat throughout his whole career? Or is it a more modern phenomenon?
It was at it's flattest in the mid 2000's.. The main thing about Taunton though is that it is one of the smallest FC grounds in the world.. It's absolutely ridiculously small on the straight boundaries

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, sledger was listing him with the other English players who played Tests but never won the ashes
Haha, mentioned him mainly because he inevitably springs to mind when I think of "players who failed for England".

RE: Stewart, very sad indeed, more so than any of the other mentions for me personally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What's Dicko on about then? "in preference to him"?
As I've said before - STFU completely or don't use ignore lists. Really wish moderators would be stricter on that, it leads to so much of this pointless crap when people use ignore lists and still bang-on about the sayings of those they're ignoring.

FTR, for anyone who's interested, Chris Adams and Darren Maddy were both preferred to Aftab Habib in 1999/2000, despite Habib having claims which were stronger by something close to an infinity.