• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket In Danger?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing we've not heard before, nothing that hasn't been discussed 100 times before.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah it's been done to death.. Test cricket will die out save for possibly a few ceremonial series such as the Ashes, maybe England v SA/Aus v SA will survive.. Which is basically how things were in the early 20th century I guess.. The question is not if but when

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Test cricket is far safer with T20 than without it.

T20 may rock the boat of test cricket. Good. That forces development and is far better than slow decline. Would day-night test cricket ever have been pushed so frantically as it is now if not for T20?

When more T20 tournaments become established, ODIs will die out very quickly. Tony Greig became the latest to offer this prediction and it seems obvious. No one loves ODIs. The game now stands as a pointless compromise. I mean, whats the point of a dumbed-down format lasting 8 hours. One more world cup and thats it.

when ODIs are gone, cricket will really be able to put together a fantastic schedule of test series and T20 torunaments with plenty of time for it all.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Test cricket will live on

T20 will die out when everyone gets bored of a six, then the 10 will be created:blink:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

T20 may rock the boat of test cricket. Good. That forces development and is far better than slow decline. Would day-night test cricket ever have been pushed so frantically as it is now if not for T20?

When more T20 tournaments become established, ODIs will die out very quickly. Tony Greig became the latest to offer this prediction and it seems obvious. No one loves ODIs. The game now stands as a pointless compromise. I mean, whats the point of a dumbed-down format lasting 8 hours. One more world cup and thats it.

when ODIs are gone, cricket will really be able to put together a fantastic schedule of test series and T20 torunaments with plenty of time for it all.
You make some good points. I too see ODIs shrinking in quantity if not totally being done away with.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Won't weep too many tears for the 50-over format if it does go; it's neither fish nor fowl.

Not that you'd know it was in danger from yer crims' touring schedule. I think there are seven ODIs due to be played after the Ashes are complete. Who gives a rats? That's at least four too many for my money. Plus after the main event? Ramps up the "meh" factor considerably. How many Englishmen still warm themselves at night with the thought we won the Commonwealth Bank gubbins after we were whitewashed in 06/07? Maybe Corrin, but that's it... :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Won't weep too many tears for the 50-over format if it does go; it's neither fish nor fowl.

Not that you'd know it was in danger from yer crims' touring schedule. I think there are seven ODIs due to be played after the Ashes are complete. Who gives a rats? That's at least four too many for my money. Plus after the main event? Ramps up the "meh" factor considerably. How many Englishmen still warm themselves at night with the thought we won the Commonwealth Bank gubbins after we were whitewashed in 06/07? Maybe Corrin, but that's it... :p
What are you talking about? The Ashes was just a warmup for the CB series that year....haha, nah it was scant consolation, though the finals came at a real special time for me so I'll always remember it fondly

The crims are back here for an ODI series next year, ftr

Langeveldt

Soutie

Good points, I wouldn't shed a tear if these ridiculous 7 series ODI's are ditched.. But if T20 means the Ashes has to be played under lights, in a G-string or with a strap-on or something, because it isn't ***y enough, then I'm going to go really mental..

Isura

U19 Captain
ODIs won't die out in our lifetime. Too much money and interest in the sub-continent. ICC/BCCI will figure out a way to juggle the 3 awkwardly while raking in the cash.

I'm in the minority, but I don't mind ODIs. There is more strategy than T20, and you can watch top batsmen actually build an innings.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sir Richard Hadlee just concluded an interview on radio here and mentioned his concerns about the future of test cricket. If I can find a link to it I'll post it. Had some interesting thoughts, as you'd expect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm in the minority, but I don't mind ODIs.
Contrary to what often seems to be the case, you're actually not. With every passing month I think opinion is moving in favour of Twenty20 over ODIs, but every new poll suggests that in fact it isn't.

brockley

International Captain
Australia to gain from it aussies put test cricket first apart from symmo,less richer nations well can you blame them.
Symmo walked away from big money big sponsoreship tho.:wacko:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Prefer ODIs to T20 myself. In some ways anyway. Depends if I want to watch Cricket or watch some light entertainment.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Contrary to what often seems to be the case, you're actually not. With every passing month I think opinion is moving in favour of Twenty20 over ODIs, but every new poll suggests that in fact it isn't.
You are right to a point Richard.

The organisers of IPL are also aware of this hence the attempt to try and hide empty stands by making sure camera angles are carefully decided. Also people like Ravi Shastri and co were blatantly lying on so many ocasions when they talked of the packed stadium and yet a slip up by the camera men would show you vast areas of the ground empty.

The organisers are very keen to keep up the propaganda and the hype of the popularity of the game. The idea seems to be that a lot of the absolutely new adherents could be attracted just by the fact that they think T-20 is so popular, that it is the in thing.

You cant underestimate the strength (in numbers) of people who will do anything that is popular. The reverse also works. If the TV channels etc were to start talking of empty stadia and lack of interest, it can all collapse.

They are counting on the propaganda to work. All the other peripheral things like involvement of film stars or celebrity industrialists as well as the big figures paid to the players keeps working to keep the focus of this class of viewers on the TV.

Unfortunately too many people are now involved (in the sense that they either make or are going to make money from this) for any one whose voice counts to stand up and say the emperor is naked.