cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test Cricket In Danger?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar

Test Cricket In Danger?

Players could quit Tests for high IPL pay - Kirsten | India Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

ITSTL. So, do you think test cricket is seriously in danger?
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Nothing we've not heard before, nothing that hasn't been discussed 100 times before.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah it's been done to death.. Test cricket will die out save for possibly a few ceremonial series such as the Ashes, maybe England v SA/Aus v SA will survive.. Which is basically how things were in the early 20th century I guess.. The question is not if but when
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Test cricket is far safer with T20 than without it.

T20 may rock the boat of test cricket. Good. That forces development and is far better than slow decline. Would day-night test cricket ever have been pushed so frantically as it is now if not for T20?

When more T20 tournaments become established, ODIs will die out very quickly. Tony Greig became the latest to offer this prediction and it seems obvious. No one loves ODIs. The game now stands as a pointless compromise. I mean, whats the point of a dumbed-down format lasting 8 hours. One more world cup and thats it.

when ODIs are gone, cricket will really be able to put together a fantastic schedule of test series and T20 torunaments with plenty of time for it all.

Test cricket will live on

T20 will die out when everyone gets bored of a six, then the 10 will be created

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post

T20 may rock the boat of test cricket. Good. That forces development and is far better than slow decline. Would day-night test cricket ever have been pushed so frantically as it is now if not for T20?

When more T20 tournaments become established, ODIs will die out very quickly. Tony Greig became the latest to offer this prediction and it seems obvious. No one loves ODIs. The game now stands as a pointless compromise. I mean, whats the point of a dumbed-down format lasting 8 hours. One more world cup and thats it.

when ODIs are gone, cricket will really be able to put together a fantastic schedule of test series and T20 torunaments with plenty of time for it all.
    You make some good points. I too see ODIs shrinking in quantity if not totally being done away with.

Won't weep too many tears for the 50-over format if it does go; it's neither fish nor fowl.

Not that you'd know it was in danger from yer crims' touring schedule. I think there are seven ODIs due to be played after the Ashes are complete. Who gives a rats? That's at least four too many for my money. Plus after the main event? Ramps up the "meh" factor considerably. How many Englishmen still warm themselves at night with the thought we won the Commonwealth Bank gubbins after we were whitewashed in 06/07? Maybe Corrin, but that's it...
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Rory Burns wafted and whooshed, hit a few, edged a few more and batted at times with all the graceful serenity of a man trying to force his way head-first through a privet hedge." - Barney Ronay on the Surrey opener's maiden test ton

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Won't weep too many tears for the 50-over format if it does go; it's neither fish nor fowl.

Not that you'd know it was in danger from yer crims' touring schedule. I think there are seven ODIs due to be played after the Ashes are complete. Who gives a rats? That's at least four too many for my money. Plus after the main event? Ramps up the "meh" factor considerably. How many Englishmen still warm themselves at night with the thought we won the Commonwealth Bank gubbins after we were whitewashed in 06/07? Maybe Corrin, but that's it...
    What are you talking about? The Ashes was just a warmup for the CB series that year....haha, nah it was scant consolation, though the finals came at a real special time for me so I'll always remember it fondly

The crims are back here for an ODI series next year, ftr

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post

Good points, I wouldn't shed a tear if these ridiculous 7 series ODI's are ditched.. But if T20 means the Ashes has to be played under lights, in a G-string or with a strap-on or something, because it isn't sexy enough, then I'm going to go really mental..

U19 Vice-Captain
    ODIs won't die out in our lifetime. Too much money and interest in the sub-continent. ICC/BCCI will figure out a way to juggle the 3 awkwardly while raking in the cash.

I'm in the minority, but I don't mind ODIs. There is more strategy than T20, and you can watch top batsmen actually build an innings.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Sir Richard Hadlee just concluded an interview on radio here and mentioned his concerns about the future of test cricket. If I can find a link to it I'll post it. Had some interesting thoughts, as you'd expect.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isura View Post
    I'm in the minority, but I don't mind ODIs.
    Contrary to what often seems to be the case, you're actually not. With every passing month I think opinion is moving in favour of Twenty20 over ODIs, but every new poll suggests that in fact it isn't.

On CW, maybe. The wider public? T20 is much, much, much more popular.

International Captain
    Australia to gain from it aussies put test cricket first apart from symmo,less richer nations well can you blame them.
    Symmo walked away from big money big sponsoreship tho.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Prefer ODIs to T20 myself. In some ways anyway. Depends if I want to watch Cricket or watch some light entertainment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information