cricket betting betway blog banner small

View Poll Results: Who is the better test batsman?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trescothick

3 10.71%
  • Strauss

21 75.00%
  • Irrelevant third options are for gaylords

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trescothick v Strauss

U19 Captain

Trescothick v Strauss

who do you rate as the better test batsman?

At their respective peaks i'd probably say its even.

Strauss is better without doubt.Trescothick is more a one day batsmen Imo.Both very good though without question.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The answer's probably Strauss, Trescothick is one of those players who seems a lot better in hindsight than he ever did at the time.

Breakout Champion!
    If Strauss can score runs next time he goes to Australia, it'll be him without doubt. I'm not certain on this, but I think it's the only country he averages under 35 in. He's closer to proving that he can bat in all conditions than Trescothick did.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    If Strauss can score runs next time he goes to Australia, it'll be him without doubt. I'm not certain on this, but I think it's the only country he averages under 35 in. He's closer to proving that he can bat in all conditions than Trescothick did.
    Looked at his record when a mate was round yesterday and I *think* he does in Pakistan as well.

Otherwise, though. Strauss. Tresco perhaps a better option if you want to be 120-0/1 at lunch, ie, looking for quick runs, ie, better ODI batsman. But Strauss is now seriously cementing himself a place in the top echelon of English batsmen. If he plays, say, two more years of Test Cricket, him and Pietersen will be battling it for top centuries in Test Cricket for England.

Strauss would make my world XI without a second though at the minute, he's awesome. Love Tresco, but Strauss is better than most batsmen we've had in the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Reckon we'd do best to wait until their careers are both over before judging TBH - if Strauss has a nosedive starting tomorrow things'll be different to how they seem now; imagine if he'd been out for 17 in that second-innings at McLean Park in 2007/08; his career would probably have been over by now and how different would we all be thinking?

FTR most people know my opinion of Trescothick - would not have been anywhere near as effective with normal standards of catching applying when he was on strike. Ergo I'm wont to rate any decent middle-of-the-road Test batsman (which Strauss is, and is probably currently no more than) as better.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Strauss is better than most batsmen we've had in the last 15 years.
    Disagree with this completely TBH. Of those in the post-Gooch era, I'd have him behind Atherton, Hussain, Stewart, Thorpe and Pietersen. Well, OK, that still makes him better than most, but I guess you'd mean top 2\3 sort of thing.

Yeah, I didn't say all for a reason. I think he may have a case above a couple of them, but it's one for when he retires, I agree. I'm not a huge stats fan as everyone knows, but Strauss's conversion rate is so impressive, I think it counts for a lot. As I said, either him or Pietersen will wind up with the most centuries for England in Test Cricket (both at a great conversion rate as well)

Banned
    Andrew strauss. Trescothick was mentally weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Andrew strauss. Trescothick was mentally weak.
    That's a bit tight, bloke had a depressive illness.

Anyway, in tests I reckon it has to be Strauss. Has added a straight drive to his game which means he's a lot less easy to tie up. Previously if you deprived him of width his scoring options were severely limited.

Would still kill for a fit and firing Tresco tho.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"There is presumably such a thing as a good second-ball duck. This was not one of them." - Barney Ronay on James Vince's innings v. Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The answer's probably Strauss, Trescothick is one of those players who seems a lot better in hindsight than he ever did at the time.
    Yeah in terms of his reputation Treso's premature retirement has done him a lot of good. One of my favourite players though and at his best always more entertaining than Strauss but he Strauss evokes so much more confidance than Treso ever did. When Strauss walks to the crease I always believe that he will get some runs, Treso I could always see a poor shot around the corner, it was actually one of the reasons that I liked him so much as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Reckon we'd do best to wait until their careers are both over before judging TBH - if Strauss has a nosedive starting tomorrow things'll be different to how they seem now; imagine if he'd been out for 17 in that second-innings at McLean Park in 2007/08; his career would probably have been over by now and how different would we all be thinking?

FTR most people know my opinion of Trescothick - would not have been anywhere near as effective with normal standards of catching applying when he was on strike. Ergo I'm wont to rate any decent middle-of-the-road Test batsman (which Strauss is, and is probably currently no more than) as better.
    You don't know how much I still hate Strauss for that innings. He was our bitch until then. Bloody McClean Park test pitches...
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Looked at his record when a mate was round yesterday and I *think* he does in Pakistan as well
    "Hey Corrin, lets grab a beer."

"Nah, come check statsguru with me, way more fun..."

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    "Hey Corrin, lets grab a beer."

"Nah, come check statsguru with me, way more fun..."
    "Wait, can't we do both?"

And so begins the debauchery currently on FB display.

In relation to the thread, it's actually a tough choice for me. Trescothick was really good at getting the first hits in whereas Strauss seems better at pressing home an advantage. Both important cogs in the machine, y'know? I'll go Strauss because Strauss, past 50, is far tougher to get out.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 02-08-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information