• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick v Strauss

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

jondavluc

State Regular
Strauss is better without doubt.Trescothick is more a one day batsmen Imo.Both very good though without question.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The answer's probably Strauss, Trescothick is one of those players who seems a lot better in hindsight than he ever did at the time.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
If Strauss can score runs next time he goes to Australia, it'll be him without doubt. I'm not certain on this, but I think it's the only country he averages under 35 in. He's closer to proving that he can bat in all conditions than Trescothick did.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Strauss can score runs next time he goes to Australia, it'll be him without doubt. I'm not certain on this, but I think it's the only country he averages under 35 in. He's closer to proving that he can bat in all conditions than Trescothick did.
Looked at his record when a mate was round yesterday and I *think* he does in Pakistan as well.

Otherwise, though. Strauss. Tresco perhaps a better option if you want to be 120-0/1 at lunch, ie, looking for quick runs, ie, better ODI batsman. But Strauss is now seriously cementing himself a place in the top echelon of English batsmen. If he plays, say, two more years of Test Cricket, him and Pietersen will be battling it for top centuries in Test Cricket for England.

Strauss would make my world XI without a second though at the minute, he's awesome. Love Tresco, but Strauss is better than most batsmen we've had in the last 15 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reckon we'd do best to wait until their careers are both over before judging TBH - if Strauss has a nosedive starting tomorrow things'll be different to how they seem now; imagine if he'd been out for 17 in that second-innings at McLean Park in 2007/08; his career would probably have been over by now and how different would we all be thinking?

FTR most people know my opinion of Trescothick - would not have been anywhere near as effective with normal standards of catching applying when he was on strike. Ergo I'm wont to rate any decent middle-of-the-road Test batsman (which Strauss is, and is probably currently no more than) as better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss is better than most batsmen we've had in the last 15 years.
Disagree with this completely TBH. Of those in the post-Gooch era, I'd have him behind Atherton, Hussain, Stewart, Thorpe and Pietersen. Well, OK, that still makes him better than most, but I guess you'd mean top 2\3 sort of thing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I didn't say all for a reason. I think he may have a case above a couple of them, but it's one for when he retires, I agree. I'm not a huge stats fan as everyone knows, but Strauss's conversion rate is so impressive, I think it counts for a lot. As I said, either him or Pietersen will wind up with the most centuries for England in Test Cricket (both at a great conversion rate as well)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Andrew strauss. Trescothick was mentally weak.
That's a bit tight, bloke had a depressive illness.

Anyway, in tests I reckon it has to be Strauss. Has added a straight drive to his game which means he's a lot less easy to tie up. Previously if you deprived him of width his scoring options were severely limited.

Would still kill for a fit and firing Tresco tho.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The answer's probably Strauss, Trescothick is one of those players who seems a lot better in hindsight than he ever did at the time.
Yeah in terms of his reputation Treso's premature retirement has done him a lot of good. One of my favourite players though and at his best always more entertaining than Strauss but he Strauss evokes so much more confidance than Treso ever did. When Strauss walks to the crease I always believe that he will get some runs, Treso I could always see a poor shot around the corner, it was actually one of the reasons that I liked him so much as a player.

Flem274*

123/5
Reckon we'd do best to wait until their careers are both over before judging TBH - if Strauss has a nosedive starting tomorrow things'll be different to how they seem now; imagine if he'd been out for 17 in that second-innings at McLean Park in 2007/08; his career would probably have been over by now and how different would we all be thinking?

FTR most people know my opinion of Trescothick - would not have been anywhere near as effective with normal standards of catching applying when he was on strike. Ergo I'm wont to rate any decent middle-of-the-road Test batsman (which Strauss is, and is probably currently no more than) as better.
You don't know how much I still hate Strauss for that innings. He was our bitch until then. Bloody McClean Park test pitches...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Hey Corrin, lets grab a beer."

"Nah, come check statsguru with me, way more fun..."
"Wait, can't we do both?"

And so begins the debauchery currently on FB display.

In relation to the thread, it's actually a tough choice for me. Trescothick was really good at getting the first hits in whereas Strauss seems better at pressing home an advantage. Both important cogs in the machine, y'know? I'll go Strauss because Strauss, past 50, is far tougher to get out.

Last edited:

frdsmth9

Cricket Spectator
Well, both of them have different techniques, Tresco is an attacking player scores runs very quickly and strauss is an defensive player and has a good technique.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
"Hey Corrin, lets grab a beer."

"Nah, come check statsguru with me, way more fun..."
Hahaha, not quite like that. We were having a beer, but he was wondering something about Strauss, I had the laptop still switched on from before he got here, so checked it out.

But yeah, I'm a total geek

Shri

Mr. Glass
Everytime Tresco scored an ODI hundred against India, India won. So, I would vote for Tresco.:p

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Strauss for me as a test player, as you really get the feeling that he will more often than not make runs, or at least that is the feeling I get. However, Trescothick is the far superior one day player, in fact, I'd so as far as to say he is one of the best one day batsmen England have ever had.