Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Ponting overtakes Allan Border

Ricky Ponting overtakes Allan Border

This was always on the cards. Ricky Ponting became Australia's highest run scorer today after overtaking Allan Border in the ongoing Ashes test.

Records mean little to Ponting | Cricket Features | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

With only Lara and Sachin above him, he looks good enough to get the world record by 2013.

Congrats Ricky. You are a legend.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Good onya. I do hope that Tendulkar has the world record and not Ponting when it is all said and done though.
    Last edited by Pratters; 31-07-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    A fine achievement, but obviously He Who Plays more will score more than He Who Plays less.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    A fine achievement, but obviously He Who Plays more will score more than He Who Plays less.
    Yes but Ponting has scored more playing some 20 less tests.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Good onya. I do hope that Tendulkar has the world record and not Ponting when it is all said and done though.
    would it matter? i think their relative positions in cricket history are firmly established by now.
    Last edited by bagapath; 31-07-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    wouldent you just be satisfied that the player who scores the most runs is the player who holds the record.

A very fine cricketer and only Bradman and maybe Greg Chappell stand in his way as the greatest Aussie batsmen of all time Imo.I hope he can stay a little while longer yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus

Among the records I know, he'll probably get most runs, most 100s and 50s, and also most 100s in consecutive innings as well. Hopefully when his name is plastered on these records people will start appreciating just how good he really is.

Totally well deserved. Definite all time great. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    The article doesn't put his record in IND in proper persepctive. But otherwise solid breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Among the records I know, he'll probably get most runs, most 100s and 50s, and also most 100s in consecutive innings as well. Hopefully when his name is plastered on these records people will start appreciating just how good he really is.
    I think the world already knows how good he is. Ricky Ponting is among the greatest batsmen test cricket has ever seen. His name will always be bunched with greg chappell and allan border as the best batsmen australia has produced since bradman. he will also be remembered as the leading batsmen of the 00s. his getting the world record for runs, centuries and fifties wont make it any better.

if you are thinking he should be remembered as a top 10 batsmen of all time then I doubt it will ever happen. May be he will sneak in to the top 15 but even from his own era he will always be ranked a fraction behind sachin and lara. Remember border scored more runs than gavaskar, v.richards and g.chappell. barrington averaged more than sobers, weekes and compton. sutcliffe's record is superior to hutton's and hobbs'. but these three greats are ranked below the others mentioned whenever players from specific eras are compared. ponting's name missing from the cricinfo team and CMJ ranking him at 47 are not stray incidents. that pattern is going to continue even after ponting crosses 13k runs. though i think 47 is too low a rank for him. he cant be ranked below gooch and waqar. i would have ponting higher, in the 30s at least. and purely as batsman he belongs in the top 15.

ricky ponting has become the english media's favorite punching bag since a weak aussie team is touring england after a long long time. i am just waiting for a counter attack from the old dog. once ricky starts scoring runs freely australia can still defend the ashes successfully.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    This was always on the cards. Ricky Ponting became Australia's highest run scorer today after overtaking Allan Border in the ongoing Ashes test.

Records mean little to Ponting | Cricket Features | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

With only Lara and Sachin above him, he looks good enough to get the world record by 2013.

Congrats Ricky. You are a legend.
    2013? That's way too far

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    2013? That's way too far
    if sachin retires today, ricky will overtake him in a couple of years or at least in 18 months. if sachin scores another 800 - 1000 runs ricky will need a few more series.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    The article doesn't put his record in IND in proper persepctive. But otherwise solid breakdown.
    In what perspective should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    I think the world already knows how good he is. Ricky Ponting is among the greatest batsmen test cricket has ever seen. His name will always be bunched with greg chappell and allan border as the best batsmen australia has produced since bradman. he will also be remembered as the leading batsmen of the 00s. his getting the world record for runs, centuries and fifties wont make it any better.

if you are thinking he should be remembered as a top 10 batsmen of all time then I doubt it will ever happen. May be he will sneak in to the top 15 but even from his own era he will always be ranked a fraction behind sachin and lara. Remember border scored more runs than gavaskar, v.richards and g.chappell. barrington averaged more than sobers, weekes and compton. sutcliffe's record is superior to hutton's and hobbs'. but these three greats are ranked below the others mentioned whenever players from specific eras are compared. ponting's name missing from the cricinfo team and CMJ ranking him at 47 are not stray incidents. that pattern is going to continue even after ponting crosses 13k runs. though i think 47 is too low a rank for him. he cant be ranked below gooch and waqar. i would have ponting higher, in the 30s at least. and purely as batsman he belongs in the top 15.

ricky ponting has become the english media's favorite punching bag since a weak aussie team is touring england after a long long time. i am just waiting for a counter attack from the old dog. once ricky starts scoring runs freely australia can still defend the ashes successfully.
    And that's my problem with how he is rated. His record is supreme and I can't bring up another cricketer right now who has succeeded in every single place bar one. Neither Tendulkar nor Lara can touch his record in it's consistency. To mention that he can't be in the top 10 - IMHO - is a disgrace and a joke, yet probably a reality. The fact that he is so ahead of everybody else when removing minnows (since he played them so few times) is so overlooked. That he did pretty well - if not very well - in his youth in the 90s amongst the best is overlooked. The fact that he is going to break all these records having played less matches is being overlooked. On and on and on I can go. I just hope getting these records will supply the superficial fans with the slack to actually, seriously, rate him as good as, if not better than, the Laras or the Sachins.

-----
    Batsmen since 01 jan 1988 with 40+ Tests without B/Z

There is more difference between Ponting and Lara than there is between Lara and pretty much the rest of the list!
    Last edited by Ikki; 31-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information