• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting overtakes Allan Border

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Good onya. I do hope that Tendulkar has the world record and not Ponting when it is all said and done though.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A fine achievement, but obviously He Who Plays more will score more than He Who Plays less.

bagapath

International Captain
Good onya. I do hope that Tendulkar has the world record and not Ponting when it is all said and done though.
would it matter? i think their relative positions in cricket history are firmly established by now.

Last edited:

jondavluc

State Regular
A very fine cricketer and only Bradman and maybe Greg Chappell stand in his way as the greatest Aussie batsmen of all time Imo.I hope he can stay a little while longer yet.:)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Among the records I know, he'll probably get most runs, most 100s and 50s, and also most 100s in consecutive innings as well. Hopefully when his name is plastered on these records people will start appreciating just how good he really is.

bagapath

International Captain
Among the records I know, he'll probably get most runs, most 100s and 50s, and also most 100s in consecutive innings as well. Hopefully when his name is plastered on these records people will start appreciating just how good he really is.
I think the world already knows how good he is. Ricky Ponting is among the greatest batsmen test cricket has ever seen. His name will always be bunched with greg chappell and allan border as the best batsmen australia has produced since bradman. he will also be remembered as the leading batsmen of the 00s. his getting the world record for runs, centuries and fifties wont make it any better.

if you are thinking he should be remembered as a top 10 batsmen of all time then I doubt it will ever happen. May be he will sneak in to the top 15 but even from his own era he will always be ranked a fraction behind sachin and lara. Remember border scored more runs than gavaskar, v.richards and g.chappell. barrington averaged more than sobers, weekes and compton. sutcliffe's record is superior to hutton's and hobbs'. but these three greats are ranked below the others mentioned whenever players from specific eras are compared. ponting's name missing from the cricinfo team and CMJ ranking him at 47 are not stray incidents. that pattern is going to continue even after ponting crosses 13k runs. though i think 47 is too low a rank for him. he cant be ranked below gooch and waqar. i would have ponting higher, in the 30s at least. and purely as batsman he belongs in the top 15.

ricky ponting has become the english media's favorite punching bag since a weak aussie team is touring england after a long long time. i am just waiting for a counter attack from the old dog. once ricky starts scoring runs freely australia can still defend the ashes successfully.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The article doesn't put his record in IND in proper persepctive. But otherwise solid breakdown.
In what perspective should it be?

I think the world already knows how good he is. Ricky Ponting is among the greatest batsmen test cricket has ever seen. His name will always be bunched with greg chappell and allan border as the best batsmen australia has produced since bradman. he will also be remembered as the leading batsmen of the 00s. his getting the world record for runs, centuries and fifties wont make it any better.

if you are thinking he should be remembered as a top 10 batsmen of all time then I doubt it will ever happen. May be he will sneak in to the top 15 but even from his own era he will always be ranked a fraction behind sachin and lara. Remember border scored more runs than gavaskar, v.richards and g.chappell. barrington averaged more than sobers, weekes and compton. sutcliffe's record is superior to hutton's and hobbs'. but these three greats are ranked below the others mentioned whenever players from specific eras are compared. ponting's name missing from the cricinfo team and CMJ ranking him at 47 are not stray incidents. that pattern is going to continue even after ponting crosses 13k runs. though i think 47 is too low a rank for him. he cant be ranked below gooch and waqar. i would have ponting higher, in the 30s at least. and purely as batsman he belongs in the top 15.

ricky ponting has become the english media's favorite punching bag since a weak aussie team is touring england after a long long time. i am just waiting for a counter attack from the old dog. once ricky starts scoring runs freely australia can still defend the ashes successfully.
And that's my problem with how he is rated. His record is supreme and I can't bring up another cricketer right now who has succeeded in every single place bar one. Neither Tendulkar nor Lara can touch his record in it's consistency. To mention that he can't be in the top 10 - IMHO - is a disgrace and a joke, yet probably a reality. The fact that he is so ahead of everybody else when removing minnows (since he played them so few times) is so overlooked. That he did pretty well - if not very well - in his youth in the 90s amongst the best is overlooked. The fact that he is going to break all these records having played less matches is being overlooked. On and on and on I can go. I just hope getting these records will supply the superficial fans with the slack to actually, seriously, rate him as good as, if not better than, the Laras or the Sachins.

-----
Batsmen since 01 jan 1988 with 40+ Tests without B/Z

There is more difference between Ponting and Lara than there is between Lara and pretty much the rest of the list!

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
In what perspective should it be? And that's my problem with how he is rated. His record is supreme and I can't bring up another cricketer right now who has succeeded in every single place bar one. Neither Tendulkar nor Lara can touch his record in it's consistency.
Funny that you demand perspective and look for reason in others argument when you yourself don't have much in your own posts. Tendulkar has been consistent for 20 years in every format he has played in.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Funny that you demand perspective and look for reason in others argument when you yourself don't have much in your own posts. Tendulkar has been consistent for 20 years in every format he has played in.
Yes, and Ponting just as much if not moreso. That's not meant to be a slight, just to give perspective. Even as good as Tendulkar and Lara have been, they have not held a record like Ponting's, home and away, across all countries. A record like Ponting's is very very rare. It's almost akin to Malcom Marshall's.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, and Ponting just as much if not moreso. That's not meant to be a slight, just to give perspective. Even as good as Tendulkar and Lara have been, they have not held a record like Ponting's, home and away, across all countries. A record like Ponting's is very very rare. It's almost akin to Malcom Marshall's.
I will address each point by point :-

Consistency :- Ponting hasn't had the longevity of Tendulkar, so no he doesn't have the consistency of Tendulkar which is 20 years and counting compared to Ponting's 14, which is enough to include Ponting in any list of the greatest but that is not the point I am arguing, I am merely refuting your claim that 'Tendulkar can not touch Ponting's consistency'.

Away/Home Performance :- I dont know where you get this idea that Tendulkar doesn't have an away record like Ponting's. It is really the other way round. It is no secret that Ponting benefits a lot more from playing at home. If Ponting played all his tests away he would be at least 1000+ runs short of his current total, Tendulkar would be about 200 short of his current total.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pretty sure we have a "Ponting vs Sachin" thread for precisely this kind of pointless argument fellas. It's an irrelevant issue in what should be a thread celebrating Ricky's achievement.

He's a pretty amazing player. I for a long time had him behind Waugh and Border, but in the last couple of years he's gone past them in my books. To have scored so much in relatively so few tests is amazing - doing most of it at three, rather than 5 or 6 as well. What a champion.