• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting overtakes Allan Border

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Always really like Ricky Ponting for some reason. Reckon he cops a load of unfair stick for being a bit of a **** every now and again, but when you hear him being interviewed, 99% of the time he comes off as being a decent bloke who says pretty sensible things.

As a cricketer, well obviously he is awesome and one of my favourite players when he is batting well. Fair play to him.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And for those that think I am dragging Tendulkar into it simply to make it a Vs. thread, no. I am just trying to show just how good Ponting is that even Tendulkar's record struggles to equate.
What you are saying is a complete fabrication of facts. And I will leave it at that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes but Ponting has scored more playing some 20 less tests.
Less than Border yeah, but the point is you can only be the leading run-scorer by playing masses of games. Ponting has played less than Border but he's still played vast numbers and is likely to play a fair few more over the next 3 years or so.

Either way I see it as pretty pointless comparing Ponting to Greg Chappell, Border, Waugh and indeed almost anyone else, because I cannot take seriously the notion that the flattening-out of pitches in 2001/02 played no real part in his explosion of scoring at that exact time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
you mean this?

Ricky in India last year: 4 266 123 38.00 1 0

Still not good enough. In fact, that looks - for example - worse than sachin's overall record in SA including his worst series there.

mate. i think it is best to admit ricky's failing in india and move on. anything ricky has done in india apart from the century he scored in the first test is absolute crap. but he is still a great player overall. sobers failed against new zealand. sachin failed against SA in india. viv was never that hot against pak. gavaskar's record against england is mediocre. so it is okay for ponting to be a failure in india. let us admit it as a chink and move on.
Not saying we should now say Ponting is great player of spin or anything., based on him having a decent tour to IND last year. Lets not forget before his tour to IND there was strong misguided theory that Punter was this "bunny" againts spin.

But yes overall with this assesment.

biased indian

International Coach
have one question here will ponting continue to play.. once he step down as captin... as and when it happens ?????

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What you are saying is a complete fabrication of facts. And I will leave it at that.
What a coincidence. Once again you disagree with me and again I fabricate facts. :laugh:

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Either way I see it as pretty pointless comparing Ponting to Greg Chappell, Border, Waugh and indeed almost anyone else, because I cannot take seriously the notion that the flattening-out of pitches in 2001/02 played no real part in his explosion of scoring at that exact time.
The fact that he was entering his mid-late 20s (turned 27 during that summer) and thus hit is peak was surely a factor as well.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't take seriously the notion that pitches only flattened out then (or, indeed, that one can ascribe flat pitches to beginning in a particular year/season). In Aus at least, was well before then.

frdsmth9

Cricket Spectator
He has been a fantastic player for such a long time in all forms of the game, Test and one-day, and in all conditions around the world.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
jeez, guys... does it matter what rank Ponting has in any comparison debates? He has become the highest run scorer for Australia which has had several outstanding batsmen and that, in isolation, is itself one of the biggest achievements in cricket... Let us congratulate him for that and hope he is still good enough to play at his best for a while yet... Keep the comparisons and debates for another thread..

I agree that the debate between Ikki and Bagapath has been fine so far but the nature of this is such that it is only going to take a couple of thoughtless posts or som other guys jumping in and it WILL detoriate.. So just take the time to reflect on his achievement and career on its own merits instead of comparing with others.. There wil be a time for that again soon.

Well done, Punter!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't take seriously the notion that pitches only flattened out then (or, indeed, that one can ascribe flat pitches to beginning in a particular year/season). In Aus at least, was well before then.
I guess if you just thought "what?! Impossible! Would require coincidence of the highest order!" then yes, it does seem remarkably far-fetched and if it hadn't happened no-one would remotely conceive it happening. Same way if Bradman hadn't existed no-one would've believed it possible to do what he did.

But both of them did indeed happen. Whether it had happened earlier in Australia I'm not absolutely going to dispute, but pretty much all the decks in 2000/01 had a bit in them, enough for Mervyn Dillon to average under 30.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that he was entering his mid-late 20s (turned 27 during that summer) and thus hit is peak was surely a factor as well.
Undoubtedly it was a factor, but as I say I refuse to believe that it was the overwhelming one, given that a good few others (of similar and differing ages) did exactly the same thing at exactly the same time.

In my view, had pitches and bowlers stayed the same as they pretty much uniformly were 1974-2001, Ponting between 2001/02 and 2006/07 might have averaged 50-55 - which would still, let's remember, have been the performance of a very, very good batsman at the peak of his powers. Not a cat-in-hell's chance would he have averaged 70-odd, IMO.

In my view, had pitches and bowlers stayed the same as they pretty much uniformly were 1974-2001, Ponting between 2001/02 and 2006/07 might have averaged 50-55 - which would still, let's remember, have been the performance of a very, very good batsman at the peak of his powers. Not a cat-in-hell's chance would he have averaged 70-odd, IMO.
I wonder if Pietersen would have only averaged around 30-35 then if he played in the 90's assuming what you say is valid..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt it, I reckon he'd have averaged moreorless exactly what he does now. Pietersen is not especially good at cashing-in when the going is easy. He generally tends to peform equally well against good and bad bowling.

Pigeon

Banned
I wonder if Pietersen would have only averaged around 30-35 then if he played in the 90's assuming what you say is valid..
A very valid thought indeed. However I think 30-35 is a tad on the lower side. I think he'd average perhaps 43-46.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I doubt it, I reckon he'd have averaged moreorless exactly what he does now. Pietersen is not especially good at cashing-in when the going is easy. He generally tends to peform equally well against good and bad bowling.
You are evil.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Seriously, if that is to be taken as true, that would mean that he has a terrible temperament problem. Can do it when the going is tough but throws it away when the going is easy.

Pigeon

Banned
No, good bowling won't get significantly better under helpful conditions but bad bowling significantly gets better under those conditions.