• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali to retire from Test Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Banned
:-) Champion.

He said he'll continue in the ODI side till WC 11, and after that till infinity in T20.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great player & great bloke. 2nd best spinner to have existed, IMO.

But why announce it now? Especially if it's another 15 months away...

Jakester1288

International Regular
Congratulations on a great career.

At this current time, IMO, he is the 2nd best spinner in Test history, he has taken many wickets and hopefully will take a fair few more before he retires.

pup11

International Coach
November 2010 = 15 months away from July/August 2009

EDIT: 14000 posts up.
Congrats on reaching the 14k mark...

Anyways, I don't think there is any problem in Murali announcing his test retirement 15 months in advance, I think this is fantastic stuff from Murali and is definitely something other players can take note from.

What he has basically done here is, he has made it clear that he is going to play for this long, so it gives his board and his predecessors a chance to be prepare themselves during this next 15 month period.

He has been a great cricketer and has had an exceptional career, he is a true legend of the game, and has also come across as a very nice bloke, no doubt test cricket would be poorer without him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Super character. Still love how his eyes bulge out whenever he runs into bowl. It almost looks like the "spin" is building up inside of him, trying to get out and when he lets the ball go its a big release of it all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Super character. Still love how his eyes bulge out whenever he runs into bowl. It almost looks like the "spin" is building up inside of him, trying to get out and when he lets the ball go its a big release of it all.
The coiled cobra (or spring) effect.

BTW has anyone else thought Murali has achieved far, far less spin in the last couple of years than he had just about all the time previously? I've not watched close to all of his Tests, but every one I have has given that impression.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The coiled cobra (or spring) effect.

BTW has anyone else thought Murali has achieved far, far less spin in the last couple of years than he had just about all the time previously? I've not watched close to all of his Tests, but every one I have has given that impression.
IIRC, after having a chat with Warne he has done it as a strategy trying to get more bounce than extra spin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
His wrist is tiring up, his tendons in fingers weakening and the shoulder is giving up. Still he can rip it a yard when needed, but he can't do it day and day out as he used to. nstead he now controls spin better than he used to.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC, after having a chat with Warne he has done it as a strategy trying to get more bounce than extra spin.
Can't say his wicket-taking form has shown it to be a massively effective change if that's the case.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Can't say his wicket-taking form has shown it to be a massively effective change if that's the case.
Dunno. I recall a few years back, IIRC 2005 Tsunami appeal, where Murali said he was talking to Warne about bowling and that he'd taken on his advice to use flight and bounce more than just whizzing it across with more spin. It was when they were still both going strong and it just stuck with me that as competitors they still shared things with each other about their craft.

Pigeon

Banned
Dunno. I recall a few years back, IIRC 2005 Tsunami appeal, where Murali said he was talking to Warne about bowling and that he'd taken on his advice to use flight and bounce more than just whizzing it across with more spin. It was when they were still both going strong and it just stuck with me that as competitors they still shared things with each other about their craft.
How are they competitors? They don't play for the same country.

Status
Not open for further replies.