• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali to retire from Test Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
EDIT: and the first example is not similar. Brumby was wrong in his use of language, however he actually included debate in his post. This is different (note, neither are acceptable) than his second post, and what Sir Alex did by coming in and making a post soley about the poster at hand and not the discussion of the topic.
You can't be serious? 8-) It's fine to throw around insults as long as you include a few sentences relevant to the discussion at hand in the same post? Are you trying to provide a blueprint for people to get away with that sort of behaviour?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I agree with Sir Alex and Migara. When people just keep repeating stuff to irritate and provoke, what do you expect from fans. The only thing I have seen from others though is to pull Migara down for responding to provocation. So Johnsonesque. :ph34r:
Whilst I won't air out issues in public that I have with particular posters (although I do find it somewhat a badge of honour that as a moderating group everyone seems to accuse us of bias), what I do not expect of "fans" is emotional rants, fingers-in-ear posting protecting the greatness of their idol from any peers or comparisons. I expect posters to have the wherewithal to be able to shrug their shoulders and say, "That's not really worth responding to. I don't agree, but I doubt what I say will have any effect".

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You can't be serious? 8-) It's fine to throw around insults as long as you include a few sentences relevant to the discussion at hand in the same post? Are you trying to provide a blueprint for people to get away with that sort of behaviour?
Are you serious? What part of "(note, neither are acceptable)" does not compute?

I clearly made out that both are frowned upon. One of the biggest problems of recent times are posts that talk about posters solely - "Not this guy again"; "fancy you saying that" - that sort of stuff.

Sir Alex

Banned
And as you'll also see with Migara's second example, there was a reminder within the thread to cut the insults out.

EDIT: and the first example is not similar. Brumby was wrong in his use of language, however he actually included debate in his post. This is different (note, neither are acceptable) than his second post, and what Sir Alex did by coming in and making a post soley about the poster at hand and not the discussion of the topic.
Don't make excuses sir. Admit it was an oversight.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Are you serious? What part of "(note, neither are acceptable)" does not compute?

I clearly made out that both are frowned upon. One of the biggest problems of recent times are posts that talk about posters solely - "Not this guy again"; "fancy you saying that" - that sort of stuff.
"Neither are acceptable" is a perfectly valid statement provided it isn't followed by an irrational attempt at half justification of one of the two instances.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And as you'll also see with Migara's second example, there was a reminder within the thread to cut the insults out.

So I can write something about the topic and ask the other person to GAGF and it's OK?

It sounds like a logical fallacy.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I have reported the first post. (I have no record of reported posts). Oddly, no warning for BB has appeared in the thread. The excuses given are clutching straws IMO.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst I won't air out issues in public that I have with particular posters (although I do find it somewhat a badge of honour that as a moderating group everyone seems to accuse us of bias), what I do not expect of "fans" is emotional rants, fingers-in-ear posting protecting the greatness of their idol from any peers or comparisons. I expect posters to have the wherewithal to be able to shrug their shoulders and say, "That's not really worth responding to. I don't agree, but I doubt what I say will have any effect".
But why should posters be placed in that position?

I am a mod too on another cricket forum, as well as a very popular football forum and i have to say sometimes there is a tendency to puncih the provoked instead of the provocateer,who is deliberately doing it

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I have reported the first post. (I have no record of reported posts). Oddly, no warning for BB has appeared in the thread. The excuses given are clutching straws IMO.
Don't make excuses sir. Admit it was an oversight.
Jamee posted a few posts later down the thread to tell people to cut out the insults. As it is, digging it up now and warning him isn't going to serve any purpose as the posts in question were months ago. There was no oversight, the post was seen and responded to; action was taken, and nothing more came of the situation.

Edit: As it is, this is dragging the intended topic - an appreciation of the highest wicket taking bowler - wildly off topic. If you still wish to discuss the issue, send an email to moderators@cricketweb.net and it can be discussed off site.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Common warning vs a one that is directed at a particular member for committing the same mistake. Whoa, that's how the system works!

Sir Alex

Banned
Common warning vs a one that is directed at a particular member for committing the same mistake. Whoa, that's how the system works!
Beter way would be issue the warning upfront in every thread. Would save the mods the effort afterwards 8-)

Coming back to topic, I think Murali should continue to play a little while longer. The Mendis prophesy apparently has turned out to be a false one. So atleast till one among the current crop really is able to pick the baton from Murali, it will be really difficult for Sri Lanka to be without him. Murali for all that weakened power that he is still is a vital force and mentally such a booster for the Lankans. Without doubt the best off spinner ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murali doesn't deserve this ****.

Shutter to think what the thread will be like when the great man actually retires.

Apparently supports the Crows :ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What do you honestly expect? For the rest of his career and then discussions of his bowling in the future his action will always be brought into question.

IMO, the thought (question) of him chucking is the equivalent of people holding prejudice against certain nationalities or races. We know its bad. Everyone frowns upon it. Only the unintelligent think it. But deep down some will still have those thoughts about other people.

For me, personally, it's hard to by pass the culture surrounding it. When I was a little one running around the cricket field the Murali action saga was in full flight and I still remember everyone in the nets blatantly throwing attempted spinners down to batsmen in an attempt to copy him. This was during a time when Warne was the no1 thing and Murali was almost a joke. It sounds bad now but that's the way it was in the junior cricket i played.

However, according to Science, he doesn't throw, and as such, I respect that scientific decision. Nevertheless, deep down, Murali's ugly and aesthetically unpleasing action still remains to seed some doubt for me even though I'm logically incorrect in thinking so.

Might cop a bit of a flak for this post but its just the way it is. I have nothing against Murali at all. It's just something I was brought up with and whenever a Murali thread comes up in discussion of his accomplishments a little bit of doubt manages to linger. I imagine I'm one of those people that Murali really dislikes. Even though scientific evidence says otherwise a shred of doubt continues to exist.

What do you honestly expect? For the rest of his career and then discussions of his bowling in the future his action will always be brought into question.

IMO, the thought (question) of him chucking is the equivalent of people holding prejudice against certain nationalities or races. We know its bad. Everyone frowns upon it. Only the unintelligent think it. But deep down some will still have those thoughts about other people.

For me, personally, it's hard to by pass the culture surrounding it. When I was a little one running around the cricket field the Murali action saga was in full flight and I still remember everyone in the nets blatantly throwing attempted spinners down to batsmen in an attempt to copy him. This was during a time when Warne was the no1 thing and Murali was almost a joke. It sounds bad now but that's the way it was in the junior cricket i played.

However, according to Science, he doesn't throw, and as such, I respect that scientific decision. Nevertheless, deep down, Murali's ugly and aesthetically unpleasing action still remains to seed some doubt for me even though I'm logically incorrect in thinking so.

Might cop a bit of a flak for this post but its just the way it is. I have nothing against Murali at all. It's just something I was brought up with and whenever a Murali thread comes up in discussion of his accomplishments a little bit of doubt manages to linger. I imagine I'm one of those people that Murali really dislikes. Even though scientific evidence says otherwise a shred of doubt continues to exist.
Thats where I think it falls down, What response do you expect if you tell someone that just because they think a players bowling action is suspect they are equivalent of racists and unintelligent.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well thanks for the Honesty in the post Got_spin. Everything else in the post is just wrong.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thats where I think it falls down, What response do you expect if you tell someone that just because they think a players bowling action is suspect they are equivalent of racists and unintelligent.
Well what do you expect when people come and say Warne is a Drug Cheat and Match Fixer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.