• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Durham awarded Ashes Test (four years too late)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If OT doesn't get one, I'm gonna go Scalyesque on Durham for the next four years :ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of the games haven't been awarded yet.

May as well just chalk up England v Sri Lanka at Cardiff as a defeat now really.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, obviously Lord will be inked in for one of the other 3 - so yet again it's mainly down in London.

pskov

International 12th Man
The Rose Bowl will also make its test debut in 2011 hosting Sri Lanka and then again in the 2014 series against India.

Personally I think spreading the tests around the grounds is a good thing. It increases competition between the counties so they actually have to work on the facilities in order to win the right to host test matches. A couple of the 'traditional' grounds (i.e. Old Trafford, possibly Headingly too) have been resting on their laurels for too long and need to step up. Though I am sure that Old Trafford will be allocated a couple of tests out of those left to be announced, not sure they'll get an Ashes one though.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The aim to get better facilities is honorable but its basically turned in to who can get away with charging people the most but still sell the tickets tbh.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think every so often it switches round so that other side has 2 1/2 years gap between their home series and the next away Ashes series. Then there's 1 1/2 years between that next Ashes series and the subsequent home series. At present if the home side wins Australia hold the Ashes for 2 1/2 years and England for 1 1/2 years. That could be the reason, or it could be something else entirely.

pskov

International 12th Man
The aim to get better facilities is honorable but its basically turned in to who can get away with charging people the most but still sell the tickets tbh.
If Edgbaston had been encouraged to develop a proper drainage system then we would have seen play start around 1ish today.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If Edgbaston had been encouraged to develop a proper drainage system then we would have seen play start around 1ish today.
They were awarded the grant to do it, but decided not to implement it because 'it did not fit in with other redevelopment plans at the ground'

Just speculating here, but having paid for an ashes test, ground improvements which increase income were probably given higher importance on the list than drainage.