Thread: Tim Southee

Cricket Spectator

Tim Southee

- Rated as the best 18 year old fast bowler since Glen McGrath by Dennis Lellie
    - Named as the best Under 19 player in the 2008 WC
    - Top Wicket taker in his first FC season
    - Five wicket haul in his first test innings

Most of you would of seen quite a bit of him I guess. The question is does he have enough skill to be a world-class bowler, does he have enough pace, will he get quicker, and how would you rate him with other 20 year old fast bowlers

Discuss

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Like a lot of Kiwi cricketers, he's been a little underwhelming so far. In particular he has trouble when conditions don't suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    When conditions suit he is one of the best bowlers out there, when they don't he varies from decent to cringeworthy. Reckon once he bulks up a bit and gets to a healthy speed the only thing he will need to worry about is what floats between his ears.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Debutant
    He's unfit. That's his main issue. In all the test matches i've seen him bowl in his first spell starts around 135-140km/h, plenty quick enough if you swing the ball and get the bounce he does. He quickly drops off in pace throughout the days and ends up bowling high 120's and drags the ball down (or floats up half volleys). I'm certain this is due to him being tired and unfit.

Reckon he'll be something special in a few years time if he really wants it.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Yep, Southee's main problem is that he is almost as fat as Scotty Styris

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    I'm sure you're a picture of perfection yourself.

For the record, he is looking fitter than he ever has been before. He's worked really hard over the off-season and is in top shape.

Cricket Spectator
    ^

How do you know that?

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SmityNZ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    I'm sure you're a picture of perfection yourself.

For the record, he is looking fitter than he ever has been before. He's worked really hard over the off-season and is in top shape.
    Substitute 'is almost as fat' with 'was almost as fat' then

TBF, it's not like we all live a few blocks from him and are able to catch a glimpse of how buff he is these days.

And I don't think NZC's selection weighs much on whether I have the body of a Greek adonis

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronx View Post
    ^

How do you know that?
    Cause it's Ian Smith.

Cricket Spectator
    Was at an event he was at a few weeks ago.

Fair play that you don't all catch a glimpse of him every week...it's just there's a lot of negativity and knifing guys around here.

Don't know if unfit is really the right term. But his body isn't as conditioned as those who we usually see in Test cricket these days, having done gym work for a good five years and all that.

He needs to find that right length on flat wickets, where you are banging it in and hitting the deck, but still not bowling short.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    Cause it's Ian Smith.
    And how would you know that?

Ian Smith is usually the first to stick a knife in though, and Smity is positive...well OK not strictly fair on Ian Smith, Crowe whenever things go bad or Murali is bowling (so they pretty much go hand in hand) is far worse. Then there's Doug GoBitchLoudly.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    And in answer to the OP, Southee is simply crap on flatter decks. At 20, its not surprising, there's no way he'd be a complete bowler at that age. Plus if the rumours that his action have been fiddled with are true, then its no surprise he's gone backwards a bit.

His test debut possibly didn't help matters either. Remember people calling up radio and harping on about the new Bond when the guy was still 19. Flattering but sheesh, screw dealing with that pressure.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Then there's Doug GoBitchLoudly.
    That guy is an absolute legend
    It's because of him I always call Eden Park 'Jurassic Park' now, heh

BTW, I didn't mean to come off negatively or 'knifingly', it's just the last time I saw Timbo, he was fairly beefy

In addition to learning to bowl on State Highways, he needs to cuts out the rank full-tosses he has a tendency to bowl.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    There is definite potential there with Tim Southee, from what I have seen of him in the Test arena. As you guys have already suggested, when conditions are helpful, he is certainly a handful and gets the ball to shape nicely away from the right hander. When the conditions are not in favour, he lacks an obvious plan B. His length must change, ditto his line, and explore other ways of either containing the batsman or indeed setting them up.

His fitness is another issue, and that will improve as he gets older and his body becomes accustomed to the very physical nature of quick bowling, and of course with hard work. His spells in terms of pace have been inconsistent and when you're bowling full deliveries, with no swing or movement, at around 80mph, you are going to get slapped about a bit, as happens after his first spell.

His stats do not make pleasant reading yet, having taken 12 Test wickets at 47.91, but they will improve. He is only 20, and has played a mere 5 Tests. His debut 5-55 against England was a good example of his potential in the right conditions. So too in Brisbane later that year when he removed Hayden, Katich and Ponting when it was bowler-friendly in his opening spell. He can remove top batsmen.

He can become a top bowler, but must work out how to bowl when swing is not in the air, and adjust his line, length and plans accordingly. Similar to what Jimmy Anderson has had to do for England.

Thread Information