• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Southee

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
- Rated as the best 18 year old fast bowler since Glen McGrath by Dennis Lellie
- Named as the best Under 19 player in the 2008 WC
- Top Wicket taker in his first FC season
- Five wicket haul in his first test innings

Most of you would of seen quite a bit of him I guess. The question is does he have enough skill to be a world-class bowler, does he have enough pace, will he get quicker, and how would you rate him with other 20 year old fast bowlers

Discuss

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like a lot of Kiwi cricketers, he's been a little underwhelming so far. In particular he has trouble when conditions don't suit.

Athlai

Not Terrible
When conditions suit he is one of the best bowlers out there, when they don't he varies from decent to cringeworthy. Reckon once he bulks up a bit and gets to a healthy speed the only thing he will need to worry about is what floats between his ears.

Polo23

International Debutant
He's unfit. That's his main issue. In all the test matches i've seen him bowl in his first spell starts around 135-140km/h, plenty quick enough if you swing the ball and get the bounce he does. He quickly drops off in pace throughout the days and ends up bowling high 120's and drags the ball down (or floats up half volleys). I'm certain this is due to him being tired and unfit.

Reckon he'll be something special in a few years time if he really wants it.

SmityNZ

Cricket Spectator
Yep, Southee's main problem is that he is almost as fat as Scotty Styris :wacko:
I'm sure you're a picture of perfection yourself.

For the record, he is looking fitter than he ever has been before. He's worked really hard over the off-season and is in top shape.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Yep, Southee's main problem is that he is almost as fat as Scotty Styris :wacko:
I'm sure you're a picture of perfection yourself.

For the record, he is looking fitter than he ever has been before. He's worked really hard over the off-season and is in top shape.
Substitute 'is almost as fat' with 'was almost as fat' then :unsure:

TBF, it's not like we all live a few blocks from him and are able to catch a glimpse of how buff he is these days.

And I don't think NZC's selection weighs much on whether I have the body of a Greek adonis :happy:

SmityNZ

Cricket Spectator
Was at an event he was at a few weeks ago.

Fair play that you don't all catch a glimpse of him every week...it's just there's a lot of negativity and knifing guys around here.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't know if unfit is really the right term. But his body isn't as conditioned as those who we usually see in Test cricket these days, having done gym work for a good five years and all that.

He needs to find that right length on flat wickets, where you are banging it in and hitting the deck, but still not bowling short.

Flem274*

123/5
Cause it's Ian Smith.
And how would you know that? :p

Ian Smith is usually the first to stick a knife in though, and Smity is positive...well OK not strictly fair on Ian Smith, Crowe whenever things go bad or Murali is bowling (so they pretty much go hand in hand) is far worse. Then there's Doug GoBitchLoudly.

Flem274*

123/5
And in answer to the OP, Southee is simply crap on flatter decks. At 20, its not surprising, there's no way he'd be a complete bowler at that age. Plus if the rumours that his action have been fiddled with are true, then its no surprise he's gone backwards a bit.

His test debut possibly didn't help matters either. Remember people calling up radio and harping on about the new Bond when the guy was still 19. Flattering but sheesh, screw dealing with that pressure.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Then there's Doug GoBitchLoudly.
That guy is an absolute legend :happy:
It's because of him I always call Eden Park 'Jurassic Park' now, heh

BTW, I didn't mean to come off negatively or 'knifingly', it's just the last time I saw Timbo, he was fairly beefy :)

In addition to learning to bowl on State Highways, he needs to cuts out the rank full-tosses he has a tendency to bowl.

Woodster

International Captain
There is definite potential there with Tim Southee, from what I have seen of him in the Test arena. As you guys have already suggested, when conditions are helpful, he is certainly a handful and gets the ball to shape nicely away from the right hander. When the conditions are not in favour, he lacks an obvious plan B. His length must change, ditto his line, and explore other ways of either containing the batsman or indeed setting them up.

His fitness is another issue, and that will improve as he gets older and his body becomes accustomed to the very physical nature of quick bowling, and of course with hard work. His spells in terms of pace have been inconsistent and when you're bowling full deliveries, with no swing or movement, at around 80mph, you are going to get slapped about a bit, as happens after his first spell.

His stats do not make pleasant reading yet, having taken 12 Test wickets at 47.91, but they will improve. He is only 20, and has played a mere 5 Tests. His debut 5-55 against England was a good example of his potential in the right conditions. So too in Brisbane later that year when he removed Hayden, Katich and Ponting when it was bowler-friendly in his opening spell. He can remove top batsmen.

He can become a top bowler, but must work out how to bowl when swing is not in the air, and adjust his line, length and plans accordingly. Similar to what Jimmy Anderson has had to do for England.