• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T&T chief hints at regional split - Cricinfo

Langeveldt

Soutie
Zimbabwe managed to be a Test-class team (not an outstanding one, but a Test-class one, capable of competing with almost all sides) on the back of a cricket-playing population (ie, the white men) which would struggle to fill a quarter of the MCG (the white population of Zimbabwe including women and children was something like 50,000 in ~1995).

With enough streamlining and good-quality coaching and practice facilities, the population required to be a Test-class team is not enormous. This, however, has never existed in West Indies and there appears no immediate prospect of that changing.
AFAIK the white population of Zim then was closer to 250,000

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zimbabwe managed to be a Test-class team (not an outstanding one, but a Test-class one, capable of competing with almost all sides) on the back of a cricket-playing population (ie, the white men) which would struggle to fill a quarter of the MCG (the white population of Zimbabwe including women and children was something like 50,000 in ~1995).

With enough streamlining and good-quality coaching and practice facilities, the population required to be a Test-class team is not enormous. This, however, has never existed in West Indies and there appears no immediate prospect of that changing.
However, Zimbabwe's successful period coincided with the career of a once-or-twice in a generation talent - Andy Flower - through little surprise. I think you'll find his batting featured heavily generally in the matches Zimbabwe won or drew. Sadly Trinidad's once-or-twice player retired in 2007. Take Andy Flower out of Zimbabwe's team and you'd have likely had a very different story. Give T&T Test status and add Brian Lara in his prime and you'd probably have a similar story.

The standard of coaching in Trinidad and Tobago is probably the best in the region. But the pool of talent is not anywhere near large enough, especially given the draw of football.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AFAIK the white population of Zim then was closer to 250,000
I'm pretty sure the number of adult males genuinely interested in playing professional cricket is significantly less than that in T&T. Tongue in cheek, before anyone makes a fuss.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
However, Zimbabwe's successful period coincided with the career of a once-or-twice in a generation talent - Andy Flower - through little surprise. I think you'll find his batting featured heavily generally in the matches Zimbabwe won or drew. Sadly Trinidad's once-or-twice player retired in 2007. Take Andy Flower out of Zimbabwe's team and you'd have likely had a very different story. Give T&T Test status and add Brian Lara in his prime and you'd probably have a similar story.

The standard of coaching in Trinidad and Tobago is probably the best in the region. But the pool of talent is not anywhere near large enough, especially given the draw of football.
Agree with Liam.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Surely, if it was to take T&T ten years (at a most optimistic estimate) to become a Test side, the absence of high-level international cricket would just kill of any real development? I know that internationals are hardly well attended in the West Indies, but there is still a great interest in the sport and the team's success. Get rid of the cricket (temporarily) and the interest and future talent will seep into football, even more so than it is now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

The decision to admit Zimbabwe to the Test party was taken before Andy Flower arrived on the scene though. Yes, obviously his presence alone made a massive difference to them, but they'd still have been Test-class but for him for mine.

Mind, Hingeh might well be right about the Zimbo population - possibly the 50,000 one I was thinking of was in fact ~1983 or so.