Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Leading Oz coaches refuse to teach doosra

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    never heard of him bowling leggies but he does actually have that ball described in #3. bowled it once in the west indies iirc but would expect it more frequently, if still rarely, in the upcoming series (if he plays etc.etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooony View Post

Carrom ball is a type of spin not a luckey packet ball and it was first used by Iversen way way back

But this

Percentage of legal bowlers for range of acceptable mean elbow extension angle tolerances

Elbow extension angle shows no correlation with ball speed across the sample.

A box and whisker plot of mean, standard error and standard deviation also shows the variability of both intra- and inter-group elbow extension angle data. For instance, the group with the lowest and most stable elbow extension angle was the medium-pace group. In contrast, the group with the most variability was the spin bowling group. It would be impractical to consider imposing different elbow extension angle limits on each bowling group.
    Are wrist spinners and finger spinners both included in the spinners group? That might explain the variability. Wrist spinners would have stuff all elbow extension.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    what does the throw row in the green table relate to? surely not physically throwing the ball in?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Interesting article from The Guardian on Maurice Holmes, our own homegrown doosra purveyor.

I never saw the kid bowl, but his action sounds a shocker, tbf. I find it gratifying that the ECB's tests are more strigent than the ICC's too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I thought I saw Siddle bowl a doosra yesterday, but other than that he got very little turn.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Interesting article from The Guardian on Maurice Holmes, our own homegrown doosra purveyor.

I never saw the kid bowl, but his action sounds a shocker, tbf. I find it gratifying that the ECB's tests are more strigent than the ICC's too.
    Maurice Holmes, Warwickshire CCC | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2D images never look good, but that is his doorsa action.

It seems there is two ways you can read the article for mine. One is that the ECB were just looking for a reason to ban him and never game him an unbiased test. The other is that he bowled excessively slow to try and stay under the 15 degrees in the test.

Hard to really tell what really happened as the ECB never put any facts about the degree tested and speed he was bowling. The lack of facts probably indicates he action was fine under the 15 degree limit, but they were looking for reason to ban him.

The other interesting thing is the comments about his shoulders and wrist not being normal, which allows him to bowl the different balls.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    That picture seems fine tbh
    Exit pursuing a beer

Banned
    What angers me most about that image is how far down his bowling arm is in the delivery and the ball's still in his hand... was most definitely a pathetic long hop

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    I was speaking to some fellas who'd faced him and the reports were that he's something else (as in, good!). Hopefully he sticks around for us

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I have heard similar things.

What I like most about this, though, is that being a bloke under outside management, he's more likely to get support from his A-grade captain and club. Have lost a few good spinners over the years to the old chestnut 'bowl straight and you'll play A's, too fancy and you're playing C's'.

Probably picked the right club too, is Glandore still dusty from ball 1?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I have heard similar things.

What I like most about this, though, is that being a bloke under outside management, he's more likely to get support from his A-grade captain and club. Have lost a few good spinners over the years to the old chestnut 'bowl straight and you'll play A's, too fancy and you're playing C's'.

Probably picked the right club too, is Glandore still dusty from ball 1?
    When I was last there - yep.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information