• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leading Oz coaches refuse to teach doosra

Riggins

International Captain
never heard of him bowling leggies but he does actually have that ball described in #3. bowled it once in the west indies iirc but would expect it more frequently, if still rarely, in the upcoming series (if he plays etc.etc.)

Debris

International 12th Man

Carrom ball is a type of spin not a luckey packet ball and it was first used by Iversen way way back

But this

Percentage of legal bowlers for range of acceptable mean elbow extension angle tolerances

Elbow extension angle shows no correlation with ball speed across the sample.

A box and whisker plot of mean, standard error and standard deviation also shows the variability of both intra- and inter-group elbow extension angle data. For instance, the group with the lowest and most stable elbow extension angle was the medium-pace group. In contrast, the group with the most variability was the spin bowling group. It would be impractical to consider imposing different elbow extension angle limits on each bowling group.
Are wrist spinners and finger spinners both included in the spinners group? That might explain the variability. Wrist spinners would have stuff all elbow extension.

Riggins

International Captain
what does the throw row in the green table relate to? surely not physically throwing the ball in?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting article from The Guardian on Maurice Holmes, our own homegrown doosra purveyor.

I never saw the kid bowl, but his action sounds a shocker, tbf. I find it gratifying that the ECB's tests are more strigent than the ICC's too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought I saw Siddle bowl a doosra yesterday, but other than that he got very little turn.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting article from The Guardian on Maurice Holmes, our own homegrown doosra purveyor.

I never saw the kid bowl, but his action sounds a shocker, tbf. I find it gratifying that the ECB's tests are more strigent than the ICC's too.
Maurice Holmes, Warwickshire CCC | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2D images never look good, but that is his doorsa action.

It seems there is two ways you can read the article for mine. One is that the ECB were just looking for a reason to ban him and never game him an unbiased test. The other is that he bowled excessively slow to try and stay under the 15 degrees in the test.

Hard to really tell what really happened as the ECB never put any facts about the degree tested and speed he was bowling. The lack of facts probably indicates he action was fine under the 15 degree limit, but they were looking for reason to ban him.

The other interesting thing is the comments about his shoulders and wrist not being normal, which allows him to bowl the different balls.

Satyanash89

Banned
What angers me most about that image is how far down his bowling arm is in the delivery and the ball's still in his hand... was most definitely a pathetic long hop

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have heard similar things.

What I like most about this, though, is that being a bloke under outside management, he's more likely to get support from his A-grade captain and club. Have lost a few good spinners over the years to the old chestnut 'bowl straight and you'll play A's, too fancy and you're playing C's'.

Probably picked the right club too, is Glandore still dusty from ball 1?

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
I have heard similar things.

What I like most about this, though, is that being a bloke under outside management, he's more likely to get support from his A-grade captain and club. Have lost a few good spinners over the years to the old chestnut 'bowl straight and you'll play A's, too fancy and you're playing C's'.

Probably picked the right club too, is Glandore still dusty from ball 1?
When I was last there - yep.