The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)
Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)
RIP WCC and CW Cricket
Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS
Saqlain Mushtaq Magic Doosra - YouTube
Saqlain Mushtaq DOOSRA Simply Awesome 1999 v India - YouTube
Saqlain Mushtaq DOOSRA Vs Marcus Trescothick 2000 - YouTube
I can't believe people continue to argue that Doosra can't be bowled legally. That's what they used to say about Reverese Swing until they figured it out.
And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW
Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta
Saqlain didn't exactly bowl his doosra with a 'clean' action from the anglo perspective, that's the issue.
Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universeCome and Paint Turtle
I never had an issue with Saqqy's, he had a bent arm when he bowled it but didn't seem to extend it.
The way everything seems to work, he was probably extending it past the limit while the guys who look worse are under 15 degrees.
If everyone bowled their doosras like Saqlain I doubt we'd have these kind of statements made by national selectors.
The trouble is, most seem to take the their cue from Murali's MO which, without his unique physiology, makes chucks very likely.
- As featured in The Independent.
"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
- The Guardian's Andrew Anthony
Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows
I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran
Aussie selectors have no idea on spin bowling.
Off break bowler's away going deliveries are not the same. There are few variations.
1. Arm ball: This is traditionally bowled with the seam pointing like "=". But you can do it witha seam like "\\". The second variety will gather contrast swing and swing away from right hander, and if hits the seam, will move off the seam as well. These are the jaffas some off spinners produce time to time from arm balls that pitch off and hit off.
2. Carrom ball: The classic Iverson-Gleeson-Herath-Mendis-Ashwin ball is balled off the middle finger flick.
3. Carrom ball variant: This one is forced off the fourth finger as a leg break. The wrist is kept in a position where it looks like a off break, so the result is a back spun delivery (Warne's zooter), which will pitch, and rush at batsman, some times getting bit of away movement. This is much more robust than normal carrom ball, since this one visibly drifts in if bowled properly. By turning the front of the wrist clock wise, additional side spin can be added. But still the spin is no where close to what you get with a back of the wrist leg break. But when bowled properly, usually a pitch middle hit off type of ball. Narine uses this ball.
4. Doosra: this is extension of the conventional off spinners top spinner, where you keep rotation the wrist counterclockwise. Unlike carrom ball, this is spun forwards, so will jump after pitching.
Now this gives what are the balls to ball against each batsman. Carrom ball and arm ball rush at batsmen, and best results are with left handers, by pitching just short of a length, asking them to play on backfoot. Doosra is very potent against right handers, because the extra bounce carries them to the slips. Arm ball has to be thrown up and bowled slowly to be effective against right handers.
From what Nielsen says, he's what in rugby circles is called a "project player"; a foreigner brought to another country with a view to getting him qualified for his adopted nation.
Although Timothy is talking bollocks when he says of Strauss,
"he'll need to spend I think it's four years in far as qualification as far as to become an Australian resident, like what Pietersen and Strauss and these guys have done playing for England, South African-based and moved to England."
The six year old clearly showed enormous promise, so England sneakily press-ganged him.
Lyon can actually bowl proper leg breaks to a decent standard, so I've been told. Probably not very useful as a variation due to the fact that there'd be no disguise element, but perhaps interesting all the same.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)