Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Leading Oz coaches refuse to teach doosra

No, because there's hardly a person out there who spins a carrom ball more than their off-spinner; maybe Mendis (could argue that it is his stock ball). Simply because you are relying on your fingers only, rather than the use of the wrist - too much of that and it makes the ball too easy to pick.

Stock ball doesn't mean traditional off-spinner, it just means the ball that you are going to bowl the majority of the time. It has to be consistent and dangerous to succeed in longer formats, which we gear our spinners towards.

Stock ball is different for lots of bowlers - Damien Fleming's was an out-swinger, just because he bowled fast-medium doesn't mean it was the same as Paul Reiffel's.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    I was more mentioning the fact that he labelled Narine's and Mendis' carrom ball, a doorsa. Whereas they are two completely different balls. Therefore indicating his care lack of understanding of modern spin bowling. If he thinks they are the same balls, with the same action and flexing issues.

I don't think that any of his quotes he clears names the players in question. As he can't, but we all know he is referring to bowlers like Narine, Mendis and Ashwin who don't bowl traditional doorsa. As well as other bowlers that bowl traditional doorsa like Murali, Saqlain and Harbarjan.
    The article doesn't mention Mendis or Ashwin at all tho.

He does list Narine alongside Murali and Ajmal, but from what I've seen the former's "knuckleball" isn't quite the same as the carrom ball Mendis and Ashwin send down.

What Narine does have in common with Ajmal and Murali is a chucky action, although his isn't of even vaguely the same magnitude of dodgy.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The article doesn't mention Mendis or Ashwin at all tho.

He does list Narine alongside Murali and Ajmal, but from what I've seen the former's "knuckleball" isn't quite the same as the carrom ball Mendis and Ashwin send down.

What Narine does have in common with Ajmal and Murali is a chucky action, although his isn't of even vaguely the same magnitude of dodgy.
    The same article/quotes from Inverarity has been in every major newspaper in Australia, with different names included. But all the different articles have the same under tone about the 'mystery' spinners in general.

Narine is slightly different case, as his off break is also chucky, so it a general thing with his action not just 'knuckleball'.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    How is it "illegal" when you are not straightening your arm past 15 degrees?

Also if bowling a doosra was so easy if bowled with an "unconventional" action then why do we have such a small number of bowlers who are bowling it at the international level? Since ICC made the law about straightening the arm now it should not be as big a deal to learn eh?

The English and the Australian coaches just admit that you got pretty darn late on catching up to this innovation.

For those who think it can't be bowled with a conventional action (without any degree of straightening of the arm) I am pretty sure Saqlain bowled it well without going "unconventional" on his action.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    if theres one of us that sounds stupid, it's jono
    You want to be Benchy so bad.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You want to be Benchy so bad.
    So do you tbf.

My traps are glistening.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Look at the big shot from the Gong.

Just read this article on cricinfo.

If so, is it any coincidence that we donít really have anyone who can bowl the doosra with any great proficiency and will that change on the day we discover our own Doosra Doctor?
    And that is the source of my confusion with linking the doosra to the question of integrity. Iím not convinced that the integrity issue will stand the test of time if Australia accidentally discovers a home-grown exponent of this delivery.
    Absolute rubbish. Cricket Australia already put the kibosh on Krejza's doosra, which was developing quite nicely. Chaminda mentioned a Cullen doosra as well - I must say I wasn't aware of that but I'll take his word for it too. Whether Invers is right here or not, he's not going to backflip as soon as Australia their own doosra bowler, because any attempts to develop the delivery have been quashed. It's not even that they aren't teaching it; they're actively discouraging it.
    ~ Cribbage

double posting wanker

double posting wanker

double posting wanker
    double posting wanker
    ... quite.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I find it hard to believe that Australia would not pick a bowler if the doosra is a strong part of his bowling. Like it or lump it, that's modern finger spin bowling for you.

It would be like the Australian swim team refusing to wear those speed suits a few years ago despite everyone else wearing them.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 28-10-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Yeah I agree. They'll choose a spinner who is taking wickets with a doosra.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Not whilst Invers is chief selector tho, but.

He doesn't strike me as someone who's big on hypocrisy.

Be interesting to see what happens down in SA now, what with the new state captain having a somewhat unorthodox action.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information