Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 131

Thread: Leading Oz coaches refuse to teach doosra

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Debateable that Jenner has it TBH. Many people have commented that he's not really much of a coach who just happened to work well as a personal mentor to Warne.
    And that is precisely what a coach is supposed to do. It not what people say its what you do that matters.

  2. #62
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Just because a personal coach can be a good thing for some players doesn't mean wide-serving coaches who teach the same thing to lots of players are no use.

    What I'm coming to disagree with is - at high levels at least, less so at grass-roots - coaches who supposedly excel in all areas. I much prefer specialist fielding, batting, seam-bowling and spin-bowling coaches.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Just because a personal coach can be a good thing for some players doesn't mean wide-serving coaches who teach the same thing to lots of players are no use.

    What I'm coming to disagree with is - at high levels at least, less so at grass-roots - coaches who supposedly excel in all areas. I much prefer specialist fielding, batting, seam-bowling and spin-bowling coaches.
    Jenner and Mallett excel with spin bowlers, disagree with that all you like but the only outcome is you would be wrong.

  4. #64
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    This is what I'm talking about, White does not have the talent that Warne or Mendis has and there is nothing you can do to make him a Warne or Mendis. If it was that simple every team would have a Warne and a Murali along with a McGrath and Ambrose in their team. Coaching is indentifying the talent then developing it which are skills that Jenner and Mallett both have.
    Of course White would have never turned himself into the next Shane Warne, but with better guidance atleast he could have become a serviceable option with the ball, but he was always forced by Jenner to develop his leg-spinner, rather then looking to improve his basic technique and work with strengths he had.

    I'm not sure a bloke like Anil Kumble would have taken 600 odd test wickets, had someone told him stop bowling his fastish top-spinners and start concentrating on developing a leggie that turns.

    That's where I don't think people like Mallet or Jenner and other Aussie spin coaches and mentors have been smart enough to adapt their coaching methods keeping in mind the kind of individual they are working with.


  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Of course White would have never turned himself into the next Shane Warne, but with better guidance atleast he could have become a serviceable option with the ball, but he was always forced by Jenner to develop his leg-spinner, rather then looking to improve his basic technique and work with strengths he had.

    I'm not sure a bloke like Anil Kumble would have taken 600 odd test wickets, had someone told him stop bowling his fastish top-spinners and start concentrating on developing a leggie that turns.

    That's where I don't think people like Mallet or Jenner and other Aussie spin coaches and mentors have been smart enough to adapt their coaching methods keeping in mind the kind of individual they are working with.
    No I dont think you understand that if someone is not capable of something they are just not capable of doing it. White had the best guidence available but could not achieve something he was incapable of. Its the same with batsmen, for example Hick had all the coaches available but just didnt have the ability. Was it the England batting coachs poor guidence that Hick failed.

  6. #66
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Jenner and Mallett excel with spin bowlers, disagree with that all you like but the only outcome is you would be wrong.
    Considerable evidence that Jenner actually does nothing of the sort, and has in fact done nothing for so much as a single bowler apart from Warne.

    Mallett though is certainly a quality coach.

  7. #67
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    No I dont think you understand that if someone is not capable of something they are just not capable of doing it. White had the best guidence available but could not achieve something he was incapable of. Its the same with batsmen, for example Hick had all the coaches available but just didnt have the ability. Was it the England batting coachs poor guidence that Hick failed.
    Nothing like the same for Hick. There are examples you could use for the point you're trying to prove - Chris Adams or Darren Maddy for instance - but Hick is not one.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Considerable evidence that Jenner actually does nothing of the sort, and has in fact done nothing for so much as a single bowler apart from Warne.

    Mallett though is certainly a quality coach.

    All the evidence I have witnessed is the opposite of what you say but I'm willing to look at this evidence you have that shows that Jenner does not.

  9. #69
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Ask smack orthdox - he seemed to be saying precisely that earlier this thread.

    All I've heard is hundreds of people saying the same thing - that Jenner doesn't really know tonnes about bowling wristspin, merely got lucky with Warne, and in trying to turn everyone else into Warnes has turned some bowlers who might've been good enough to play grade first team into nothing of the sort and bowlers barely able to bowl any more.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    All I've heard is hundreds of people saying the same thing - that Jenner doesn't really know tonnes about bowling wristspin, merely got lucky with Warne, and in trying to turn everyone else into Warnes has turned some bowlers who might've been good enough to play grade first team into nothing of the sort and bowlers barely able to bowl any more.
    Evidence would be to name some of these players that might've been good enough to play grade first team turned into nothing of the sort and bowlers barely able to bowl any more, Carrying on about White is futile because his own mentor Hookes was the first to tell White that he would only ever be a batsman who could bowl a few overs and would never be a bowler.

    If you are going to provide evidence of something I would expect it to be more than you read it on some forum.

  11. #71
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Far more than just reading on some forum. Have heard lots of people say\write it, and have heard lots of others talk\write about how they've heard others say\write it.

    If you expect me to have recorded or bookmarked every instance I've heard and read though, I'm afraid you're asking too much.

    I never mentioned White FTR so don't know why you're directing that comment at me, haven't the first clue about who's coached him all career.
    Last edited by Richard; 30-07-2009 at 12:12 PM.

  12. #72
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    45,429

    "No filthy chuckers in the baggy green" sez Invers

    From cricinfo.

    Basically saying he thinks the delivery is a chuck. Or gets as close as the threat of litigation and politeness allows a national selector to, anyway.

    Wouldn't take too much more for me to turn for him right now. Legend.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  13. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a cardboard box
    Posts
    182
    Totally agree with Australia. Chuckers are chuckers and they are everywhere batting with short sleeves bowling with long sleeves. Suddenly half the sub continents turners have suddenly developed the condition Murali had which gave him a valid reason. The others are chuckers I see next one is the Sri Lankan youngster bowling with a arm more bend than a tea pot. Bring back Daryll Hair

  14. #74
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    13,090
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  15. #75
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,315
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    From cricinfo.

    Basically saying he thinks the delivery is a chuck. Or gets as close as the threat of litigation and politeness allows a national selector to, anyway.

    Wouldn't take too much more for me to turn for him right now. Legend.
    My previous thoughts/feelings for Invers continue to speak for me.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Justin Langer - Leading Australian run-getter
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 26-07-2009, 11:10 AM
  2. Doosra n Teesra
    By killagee in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •