• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who might quit tests for T20s in the future

Shri

Mr. Glass
Flintoff decided to hang up his boots recently as his body wasn't able to cope up with the demands of test cricket. Who do you think is going to retire from test cricket and opt to play T20s to reduce injuries in the future?

Shane Watson(if he keeps getting injured) in another couple of years is my guess. Whats your opinion?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oram might be next. He's made a few noises about his body not being able to withstand the rigours of the 5 day game now he's north of 30.

Similarly position to Fred, really. Big guy who suffers because he bowls quick (ish in Oram's case).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Gayle. If his board and other issues push him too much.
Not only him all the WI stars.

Overall though i'd be surprised if any current AUS, ENG, SA plays quit to IPL if the ICC reamains so irrelevant. The other nations anything can happen. This is crazy stuff.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harmison's quitting is more like Tresco's quitting, rather than Freddie's quitting.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oram, McCullum, Dhoni, Kallis, Duminy, Gayle, Sarwan, Watson, Symonds, Lee, Hussey
Sarwan? Interesting. Is this a hunch based on the player-board dispute? Because I can't think of any other indication, given that he's not particularly good at T20.

pup11

International Coach
My views regarding this topic has been pretty consistent, money is very important for every professional athlete, and cricketers are no different, its surprises me little that players are now quitting test cricket in order to be able to play in the IPL and CL in order to earn more money.

Lots of people say that finding a window for the IPL will solve this problem, and also save test cricket, but I don't agree with this at all, AFAIC until all main cricketing boards don't start paying test cricketers more money than any T20 league would, this problem would never be solved.

If test cricket is the most grueling and demanding form of the game, then shouldn't a test player be payed more than a OD or T20 player, and until this doesn't happens neither the ICC or any cricket board has any right to question a player's decision of turn his back to test cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sarwan? Interesting. Is this a hunch based on the player-board dispute? Because I can't think of any other indication, given that he's not particularly good at T20.
Have to disagree. He was brilliant for Guyana when in the first Standford T20 although he aint a big hitter. Plus the finishing role that he has done so well all these years in ODIs can be very effective in T20 if he bats like @ 5 or 6.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Oram, McCullum, Dhoni, Kallis, Duminy, Gayle, Sarwan, Watson, Symonds, Lee, Hussey
I also found Kallis and Hussey quite interesting.

What Hussey were you referring to?

I'm not sure on Duminy, but the others are a fair shot.