• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Preliminary CT squad

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
30 - Andrew Strauss (Middlesex), James Anderson (Lancashire), Gareth Batty (Worcestershire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Alastair Cook (Essex), Steve Davies (Worcestershire), Joe Denly (Kent), Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire), James Foster (Essex), Stephen Harmison (Durham), Ed Joyce (Sussex), Rob Key (Kent), Michael Lumb (Hampshire), Sajid Mahmood (Lancashire), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Graham Napier (Essex), Graham Onions (Durham), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Matt Prior (Sussex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Owais Shah (Middlesex), Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Luke Wright (Sussex)

Squad will get cut down to 15 next month. With KP a serious doubt, the quota of South Africans has to remain, so Jonathan Trott and Michael Lumb (:huh:) are in.

There is history between KP and Trott (Lord's final four years ago...), so it will be interesting if they can fit both men into the same XI.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
There are a lot of average cricketers in that squad:

Hopefully Trott makes the team though

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So trust England to select him for the 50 over game...

Lumb like Batty, Mahmood, Bresnan, Napier, Key, is just there for numbers.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain

Yeah, I would have thought so.

Why do we have these preliminary squads? They seem a complete waste of time to me, IIRC you can select players not included in the shortlist for the final squad. Just give us 15 and get on with it.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

Napier is probably there for the numbers but he is a good all rounder in the limited overs game. Although he has not been in good form this year, he is still a good wicket taking option with the ball and a hard hitting batsman who has been hitting more runs as of late than before.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Napier is probably there for the numbers but he is a good all rounder in the limited overs game. Although he has not been in good form this year, he is still a good wicket taking option with the ball and a hard hitting batsman who has been hitting more runs as of late than before.
Never got a look-in at his prefered format, has no chance in the 50 over game. I'm surprised his former team-mate is so down on him. He should have played in the 20/20 WC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I think Napier would offer a bit more than quite a few players in that squad. Not that I think he should be playing but he's not awful.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Never got a look-in at his prefered format, has no chance in the 50 over game. I'm surprised his former team-mate is so down on him. He should have played in the 20/20 WC.
The same ignorance that thought that he was primarily a batsman may cause the perception that his strongest suit is the 50 over game, you never know.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batty? He was hardly a success at the international level. Is he really in the top 30 limited-overs players in the country?

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
To open and not to bowl?
His LO bowling record is very good, at least compared to the other options averaging 25.66 with economy rate of 4.65, his batting is just a bonus. Granted I wasn't being entirely serious, he needs another year, but given some of the others selected...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Batty? He was hardly a success at the international level. Is he really in the top 30 limited-overs players in the country?
Not too many spin options around if Swann gets injured, with Patel being exiled

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Undoubtedly so. Which really does show the absurdity of these 30-man squads. Though not quite as much as Michael Lumb's inclusion does.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not too many spin options around if Swann gets injured, with Patel being exiled
Would have liked to see Patel in the 30, give him a target for improving his fitness for a certain date instead of just ignoring him. Personally I would have him in the setup regardless but I don't think the current policy is helping anyone.