• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Preliminary CT squad

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was always medium-fast (~125 kph) rather than fast-medium (~130-135 kph), but he always got wickets in one-day cricket. As I say, he pretty much never seems to bowl any more, which I find rather odd TSTL. VVS Laxman's bowled more than he has this season, and that really is saying something.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He was always medium-fast (~125 kph) rather than fast-medium (~130-135 kph), but he always got wickets in one-day cricket. As I say, he pretty much never seems to bowl any more, which I find rather odd TSTL. VVS Laxman's bowled more than he has this season, and that really is saying something.
He was in Melbourne last year, and having seen him bowl, that's not that surprising at all. He was very much a part time bowler in District cricket. Even our number 8 who didn't score a run all year, hit him over long-off.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mascarenhas strenght as ODI bowler is not one who is going to be wicket-taking though. As he should in the last ODI vs WI in Barbados earlier this year, if the new ball bowler make inroads into the top-order. Dimi is the perfect bowler to come in tie down & end.

Plus the potential value he gives as a batsman, ENG aren't in a position to leave him out especially when they still picking Wright for some reason.
There are plenty of players in that side who really shouldn't be in there. However, over the years I've grown used to the fact that we will end up picking ordinary players for no apparent reason except for 'continuity'. Look at Prior, Rashid, Anderson, Bresnan, Denly (over Trott) and Wright.

As far as Mascrenhas is concerned, perhaps he would do better than Wright. But honestly, it hardly matters because both of them are rubbish and its clutching at straws to say well at least he would do better than the other. An average of 48 @ 4.58 speaks volumes about that.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well his leg-spin aint no Shane Warne. But if he didn't have some accuracy or point 2, he wouldn't have been so impressive in the world T20. He stepped up on the world-stage. The little i saw of him before in county matches on Sky, i was very annoyed when he was drafted into the T20 squad. So i dont mind him being fast-tracked TBH.

Cant agree he is would make the first XI in the best ENG ODI XI.

Strauss
?
KP
Shah
Colly
Flintoff
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Sidebottom

He would challenge with Sidebottom for a spot depending on conditions i guess.
Personally, its high time we got rid of Collingwood. He's been holding down a spot in the middle order despite being nothing other than ok for years. Either bat him at 7 or dont play him at all. Flintoff bats 5.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the point. Chilton is a "wicket-taking bowler", but doesn't look like it; so are several others (including part-timers like Ravinder Bopara). But they're overlooked for bowlers who look like wicket-takers but in reality aren't wicket-takers.

It's bad enough going for wicket-taking over economy in the one-day game, but when you can't even identify a wicket-taker it's worse still.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as Mascrenhas is concerned, perhaps he would do better than Wright. But honestly, it hardly matters because both of them are rubbish and its clutching at straws to say well at least he would do better than the other. An average of 48 @ 4.58 speaks volumes about that.
Mascarenhas has actually done decently on pitches that are not rank roads and on grounds that are bigger than a postage-stamp. Which doesn't really surprise me at all. Like almost any bowler he'll go the distance on a rank road, but on a pitch with anything much in it, or that's reasonably slow or reasonably quick, he'll very probably do a far better job than someone like James Anderson.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was in Melbourne last year, and having seen him bowl, that's not that surprising at all. He was very much a part time bowler in District cricket. Even our number 8 who didn't score a run all year, hit him over long-off.
Did you think I was saying "I wonder why he doesn't bowl any more despite the decline in his bowling"? I was meaning to imply more "I wonder why his bowling has gone from moderately decent county-one-day standard to absolutely hopeless".

Mind, he still tops the First-Class averages this season, with 2 wickets for 3 runs. 8-) But still VVS Laxman bowls before him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
7 more wickets to pass Botham's 145. :)
Everyone will have their wicket tally rise if they play enough matches and benefit from enough bad batting.

Anderson when batting has been of a decent standard has never taken an acceptable number of wickets per match in ODIs.