• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Preliminary CT squad

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never been convinced by Bresnan, nor Mahmood. Harmison would get my vote, Mascarenhas definitely in the starting XI. Panesar shouldn't be overlooked for me, okay he can't bat or field, but if Swann has a rough patch (which he's bound to) then the experience of Monty might be useful.
Panesar is a hopeless OD bowler, as well as being a terrible fielder (not so bothered about the batting, you can afford one rank rabbit in a ODI). He should never have come near any ODI side.

Harmison will be retiring from international cricket after this summer BTSOT, so I doubt we'll see him anywhere either.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not sure what role Joyce could play as a batsman, so i wouldn't consider him. Mahmood no way yo, son should be kept far away from the international set-up let alone the ODI side.
He should be in the side at 3 or 4, has had an epic List A season this year.

I'm not a massive fan of Mahmood by any stretch of the imagination, however he's had a productive season for Lancashire in the Friends Provident, has reasonable domestic career List A figures, IMO he's earned himself a chance to try and prove that he's improved as a bowler in the 2 years he's been out of international cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He should be in the side at 3 or 4, has had an epic List A season this year.
Given the standard of OD cricket domestically over the years, that performance needs to take in jest TBH. Since seeing Joyce in ODI cricket, he style of play clearly didn't suite batting @ 3 or 4.

Even when he opened the batting & scored that hundred in AUS. His game looks more suited for a potential test spot if he can take it to the next level.

I'm not a massive fan of Mahmood by any stretch of the imagination, however he's had a productive season for Lancashire in the Friends Provident, has reasonable domestic career List A figures, IMO he's earned himself a chance to try and prove that he's improved as a bowler in the 2 years he's been out of international cricket.
Again here these performances needs to taken in jest. Seeing Mahmood in that Ashes warm-up i dont see anything special or new in his bowling.

Son is too eratic, plus cant bowl at the death. Would get smashed regardless..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Given the standard of OD cricket domestically over the years, that performance needs to take in jest TBH. Since seeing Joyce in ODI cricket, he style of play clearly didn't suite batting @ 3 or 4.

Even when he opened the batting & scored that hundred in AUS. His game looks more suited for a potential test spot if he can take it to the next level.

Again here these performances needs to taken in jest. Seeing Mahmood in that Ashes warm-up i dont see anything special or new in his bowling.

Son is too eratic, plus cant bowl at the death. Would get smashed regardless..
I'd far rather England put faith in good domestic performers than some of the random selections we've seen from them in ODIs over the years.

I don't rate Mahmood particularly highly but IMO he's done enough to warrant a second chance at ODI level.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'd far rather England put faith in good domestic performers than some of the random selections we've seen from them in ODIs over the years.
True. But the standard of our domestic OD has been so poor. Almost all the best players or who have proven to be good at international level have been a bit out of the box.

Based on what i saw of Joyce before. I dont see him as ODI quality, its not like he would have gone back & faced better bowling either.

I don't rate Mahmood particularly highly but IMO he's done enough to warrant a second chance at ODI level.
Nah, id pass on him. For similar bowling reasons to Joyce.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Squad announced....

Strauss (capt), Anderson, Bopara, Bresnan, Broad, Colly, Denly, Fred, Morgan, Prior, Rashid, Shah, Sidebottom, Swann, Wright.

Same squad for the Australian ODI series.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not really sure about the logic behind Denly coming in ahead of Trott especially given the latter's selection in the test side, but other than that I don't have any serious reservations over any of the others in that squad.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Denly is a strange one, as the selectors said he is KP's replacement, which denotes him may not be opening. I thought we might have seen the last of Wright and Ravi at the top.

Worst possible preparation for England as the likelihood is that they will lose the series against Aus but still be stuck with the same squad. Think they can only make changes now if a player drops out through injury.

Trott should have been selected. Deemed good enough for the 20/20 squad but not for one day side, his best format.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The selection of Luke Wright is an absolute joke, he looked ridculously out of his depth in the World T20.

edit: Actually, the batting throughout that squad looks pathetic.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Denly is a strange one, as the selectors said he is KP's replacement, which denotes him may not be opening. I thought we might have seen the last of Wright and Ravi at the top.
I dont mind Ravi at the top for now. But based on what i've seen on Denly, i think he could potentially be that attacking opener that ENG have been looking for since Tres.

Worst possible preparation for England as the likelihood is that they will lose the series against Aus but still be stuck with the same squad. Think they can only make changes now if a player drops out through injury.

Trott should have been selected. Deemed good enough for the 20/20 squad but not for one day side, his best format.
Well i wont be so quick to be advocating Trott. I'm not 100% sure what could be his best role in the ODI side even if KP is fit. I think we should wait & see how he goes in the 5th test.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Denly's S/R and from what I've seen of him doesn't suggest that. His S/R in List A cricket by modern standards is extremely poor. International openers should been striking at over 80 or close to.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I know. But i remember seeing him on TV in domestic OD game where he scored a hundred facing Harmo & he was super impressive. A little pocket rocket..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If Ravi isn't in the right frame of mind for test cricket (according to the selectors), why would his mind be able to handle the same attack but this time in ODI cricket?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I know. But i remember seeing him on TV in domestic OD game where he scored a hundred facing Harmo & he was super impressive. A little pocket rocket..
Nothing of him but he is 6ft. Like Anderson, he is deceptively tall(ish).

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame to see Dimi miss out but it does not come as a shock, think he might have played his last game for England although knowing our ODI selection he will be back by the winer. How Trott is not selected given his one day record and test selection is beyone belief.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Oh scrap i just realised Dimi aint picked, bumbaclathh. Wrigth being picked looks even more worse now.

If they are not pleased with Mascarenhas batting thus far, give Napier a go instead of Wright, geez yo

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If Ravi isn't in the right frame of mind for test cricket (according to the selectors), why would his mind be able to handle the same attack but this time in ODI cricket?
Well it never bothered Hick during the 90s. # 3 in test was againts AUS as most us would have predicted was always going to be too much for Ravi.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Squad announced....

Strauss (capt), Anderson, Bopara, Bresnan, Broad, Colly, Denly, Fred, Morgan, Prior, Rashid, Shah, Sidebottom, Swann, Wright.

Same squad for the Australian ODI series.
Rashid, Wright, Bresnan, Denly... no Mascarenhas or Trott...

If I wasn't so used to this sort of brainless idiocy in ODI selection (in particular - generally it's less bad in Tests) I'd be mad, but I've gotten used to it many years back no, so I can't really say I am. :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Rashid, Wright, Bresnan, Denly... no Mascarenhas or Trott...

If I wasn't so used to this sort of brainless idiocy in ODI selection (in particular - generally it's less bad in Tests) I'd be mad, but I've gotten used to it many years back no, so I can't really say I am. :)
Only Wright is truly a rubbish selection TBF. I dont mind Bresnan being given a chance as a back-up pacer. Denly & Rashid have potential to be very good in the shorter format.