• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Justin Langer - Leading Australian run-getter

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Twice as many would have been 676 whereas he did it in 615. 50% more innings would have been 507.
That was without question my worst ever piece of maths - dire doesn't even begin to cover it. As someone who is always quick to point out incorrect maths in others, I am suitably embarrassed. :shy:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Congratulations to Langer.

Bradman did it much, much quicker, but you would expect that. Not retracting anything from Langer, he is still a class player. His grit and determination are admirable. To have the record is very special.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Guess it shows his durability and his willingness to bat, bat, bat, bat and bat some more. Well played to the little fella'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reckon Phil Hughes can break it TBH, after he loses his place in the NSW team to David Warner, and NSW Second XI are afforded First-Class status.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Well done to Justin Langer.

Will possibly never be broken again. Australian cricketers are only playing fewer and fewer first class games.

Dissector

International Debutant
Tbh, this is a bit like Ramprakash's 100 centuries; a creditable achievement but not one that too many people will care about.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to the wee fella.

His 86th ton too, is it fanciful to imagine he could go on to get 100? Probably, in all honesty. Doubt there's anyone closer to the 100th ton still playing tho, Ramps excepted obv.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbh, this is a bit like Ramprakash's 100 centuries; a creditable achievement but not one that too many people will care about.
But I think his achievements in Tests mean that Langer will always have more respect as a batsman than Ramprakash.

brockley

International Captain
Sadly nsw2nd xl will never get another team shame :wacko:
Hughes could do it see many more county years ahead of him.
Don't see him making the one day side to be honest,not yet anyway.
Well done justin not the don,but still done all the same.
Yes record will last a long time.

stumpski

International Captain
Fair play to the wee fella.

His 86th ton too, is it fanciful to imagine he could go on to get 100? Probably, in all honesty. Doubt there's anyone closer to the 100th ton still playing tho, Ramps excepted obv.
He needs two more good seasons, and ideally a couple more 100s this year as well. Odds are against him though, and not playing for WA any more won't help - although I suppose it keeps him fresh for the English summer.

I'm sure Somerset would be happy for him to stay another couple of years if that's what he wants. He has pretty much relocated to England anyway as I understand it.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He needs two more good seasons, and ideally a couple more 100s this year as well. Odds are against him though, and not playing for WA any more won't help - although I suppose it keeps him fresh for the English summer.

I'm sure Somerset would be happy for him to stay another couple of years if that's what he wants. He has pretty much relocated to England anyway as I understand it.
Even taking into account he's an Aussie I still think he deserves 100 ton's - he'll have to be a bit more selfish though and start opening again - less of this dropping himself down the order for the benefit of the youngsters

brockley

International Captain
Justin taken somerset a long way to the top,good unit now,they wouldn't be keen to lose him.Especially with the onset of IPL and international committments these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even taking into account he's an Aussie I still think he deserves 100 ton's - he'll have to be a bit more selfish though and start opening again - less of this dropping himself down the order for the benefit of the youngsters
Reckon going back to his usual position of three in the twilight of his career might just have revitalised him TBH, not sure going back to the top would be a good move at 38, or 39, or whatever he is, at all.

fredfertang

Reckon going back to his usual position of three in the twilight of his career might just have revitalised him TBH, not sure going back to the top would be a good move at 38, or 39, or whatever he is, at all.
For some reason I had it in my head he'd been behind Hildreth in the order too but you're quite right - aside from one game he's been batting at 3 in the LVCC all season

Pothas

Always liked Justin, one of my favourite players from this great generation of Australian cricketers. For some reason has seemed like an old fashioned cricketer, he looks and acts like I would imagine a 1930's player.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It's actually only a little over 50% more innings, which is definitely less than I would have thought.
Its partly to do with the Don's four tours of England. They played much more cricket those days on tour than now.

In four English seasons Bradman played 120 innings while in 17 Australian seasons he played 218 ! Those four seasons gave Bradman as much first class cicket as about ten home seasons. Of course Langer played much more cricket in England (11 seasons including three as tourist) but without those FC tour games for Bradman, the difference would have been far greater.

Last edited: