• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in England Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Over his career to date, Harmison's average of runs per wicket is LOWER than the average score England have conceded. Therefore, he is statistically out performing the rest of the attack.

Even when he was playing against Australia and India his average was better than the team average, so singling him out for criticsm is surely unfair?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Over his career to date, Harmison's average of runs per wicket is LOWER than the average score England have conceded. Therefore, he is statistically out performing the rest of the attack.

Even when he was playing against Australia and India his average was better than the team average, so singling him out for criticsm is surely unfair?
Team average means nothing, it contains part timer bowlers, bowlers who are out of form, bowlers not suited to the conditions, it is not something to base an arguement or opinion on, it's too open. Harmison lacks control, anyone can see that, he has a glitch in his action (sorry, it is his action) that causes him to keep bowling down the legside, he bangs it in, most of his bowling can be left quite easily. I am not the only one who believes that a player should only be picked when he's good enough, not because he might be good in the future. Also figures don't tell the whole story, a lot of people I know don't rate him simply because of what they have seen on TV, a bowler getting cheap wickets against a weak attack yet not taking them in a convincing manner.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Team average means nothing, it contains part timer bowlers, bowlers who are out of form, bowlers not suited to the conditions, it is not something to base an arguement or opinion on, it's too open.
It also indicates how good the wickets are for batting and how good the opposition batting line up is.

If a team average means nothing, then that would mean the oppositions score means nothing, so what exactly do you base the result on in that case - how well Rik thinks the players played?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Also figures don't tell the whole story, a lot of people I know don't rate him simply because of what they have seen on TV, a bowler getting cheap wickets against a weak attack yet not taking them in a convincing manner.
Funny how you only apply that to bowlers, and not natsmen getting runs against a weak attack but looking convincing.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
It also indicates how good the wickets are for batting and how good the opposition batting line up is.

If a team average means nothing, then that would mean the oppositions score means nothing, so what exactly do you base the result on in that case - how well Rik thinks the players played?
No I am saying it contains too many bowlers and too many situations to make it proof of anything.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Funny how you only apply that to bowlers, and not natsmen getting runs against a weak attack but looking convincing.
Oh look mum another typo...

I'm not sure what your on about...Harmison did not look convincing against Zimbabwe in mine and quite a few other people's opinions. I do not see what your point about a batsman (or as you say natsman) has to do with this. If a bowler does not look convincing he does not look convincing. If a batsman does but it's a weak attack then wow he can play against weak bowling...just like any other average county batsman...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are we too far down Harmison Street to turn around and head back? This topic is dead... at least until South Africa deal with Harmison (interpret it as you wish). New topic: Top scorer in series? Predictions?

I've got to go for Kallis (even if he misses the 1st Test) or Rudolph, possibly Vaughan.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No matter how many runs a man scores, he can still look convincing.

As for top scorers - Butcher.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Top Wicket taker - Steve Harm-me-son :lol: ;) / Anderson

" Scorer - Kallis

Worst Bowler - Kallis/Giles

" Batsman - Mcgrath / Gibbs / Smith

Langeveldt

Soutie
Top Wicket Taker - James Anderson

Top Run Scorer - Jacques Rudolph

Worst Bowler - Steven Har - miss - on (why cant we debate about him? if ur tired of it, well nobodys forcing you to read it)

Worst Batsman - Monde Zondeki, James Anderson

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jacques Rudolph said:
(why cant we debate about him? if ur tired of it, well nobodys forcing you to read it)
You can if you want to, it's a free world.

What pleasure do you people derive from debating the same topic over and over and over again? You all just repeat the same points over and over again.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Top Wicket Taker - Anderson

Top Run Scorer - Kallis

Worst Bowler - Harmison

Worst Batsman - Smith

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's not a debate about Harmison any more...

Rik: crap
Marc: not
Rich: crap

It's state and restate and it's a waste of bandwidth :D

Most Wickets: Anderson

Most Runs: Hussain :O

Worst Bowler: Willoughby should he play

Worst Batsman: Smith

Mr Mxyzptlk

Most Wickets (Eng):- Gough/Anderson
Most Wickets (SA):- Pollock

Worst Bowler:- statistically it may be Giles, but in actuality probably Zondeki or one of the lesser tried bowlers. I don't think Harmison will last long enough in the series to be considered for this catergory.

Worst Batsman:- for the sheer pressure which he has effectively brought upon himself - Smith.