• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2009/10

204*

Cricket Spectator
The six Major Associations have today announced their lists of 12 players to be offered contracts for the 2009-10 season.

Auckland
Michael Bates
Colin De Grandhomme
Roneel Hira
Richard Jones
Anaru Kitchen
Greg Morgan
Tarun Nethula
Jeet Raval
Lance Shaw
Scott Styris
Daryl Tuffey
Reece Young

The Auckland Aces have lost three experienced players to other provinces, in Chris Martin, Rob Nicol and Andy McKay. However they have brought in a talented crop of younger players including several with international experience, including current New Zealand Emerging Players or NZ A members Kitchen, Nethula and Raval, along with NZ Under-19 all-rounder Morgan.

Northern Districts
Graeme Aldridge
Trent Boult
Te Ahu Davis
James Marshall
Bruce Martin
Peter McGlashan
Michael Parlane
Bradley Scott
BJ Watling
Kane Williamson
Brad Wilson
Joseph Yovich

The Northern Knights list sees three new names, including former BLACKCAP Marshall who reverts to a local contract after being omitted from the national list. Recent NZ Emerging Players Davis and Wilson both pick up contract offers. Simon Andrews is missing from the 2008-09 contract list, along with Cameron Merchant (to Wellington) and Brent Arnel (national contract).

Central Districts
Doug Bracewell
Brendon Diamanti
Bevan Griggs
Jamie How
Peter Ingram
Mitchell McClenaghan
Michael Mason
Brad Patton
Mathew Sinclair
Ewen Thompson
Tim Weston
George Worker

BLACKCAPS Jamie How and Michael Mason have joined the Central Stags' contract roster after missing out on national contracts. Other new contracts go to 18-year old New Zealand Under-19 player Bracewell, Emerging Players squad member Worker, and Patton. From the 2008-09 squad, Robbie Schaw has moved to Wellington, while Greg Hay, Brent Hefford, Tim Lythe, and Richard Sherlock are omitted.

Wellington
Matthew Bell
Harry Boam
Dewayne Bowden
Josh Brodie
BJ Crook
Mark Gillespie
Andy McKay
Cameron Merchant
Chris Nevin
Neal Parlane
Robbie Schaw
Luke Woodcock

The Wellington Firebirds secure three new players in top order batsman Merchant (from Northern Districts), Schaw (from Central Districts) and former Auckland left arm opening bowler McKay strengthening the bowling attack. Mark Houghton, Kevin Forde and Michael Burns are omitted from last season's contract list.

Canterbury
Corey Anderson
Todd Astle
Hamish Bennett
Leighton Burtt
Jason Donnelly
Andrew Ellis
Peter Fulton
Johann Myburgh
Rob Nicol
Michael Papps
Shanan Stewart
Kruger van Wyk

Fulton returns to the Canterbury Wizards roster after missing out on a national contract. Former Aucklander Nicol will add depth to the top order batting and spin bowling, while left arm spinner Donnelly joins after spending last year as a contracted rookie in South Australia. From last year's list, Brandon Hiini, Michael Davidson and Iain Robertson miss out on contract offers this season.

Otago
Nick Beard
Derek de Boorder
Craig Cumming
Shaun Haig
Mat Harvie
Nathan McCullum
James McMillan
Warren McSkimming
Leighton Morgan
Aaron Redmond
Greg Todd
Neil Wagner

The Otago Volts list sees Redmond rejoin Otago after being on a national contract, while Haig returns after missing out last season. New Zealand Under-19 and Emerging Players slow left-arm orthodox bowler Beard is a newcomer to the roster. Missing from last year's list are Neil Broom and Ian Butler, who go onto national contracts, while Craig Smith was omitted after suffering serious back injury last season.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
What idiot came up with the idea of not contracting Greg Hay? Seriously, he may be out of form but leaving out one of the better State Championship bastsmen of the past 3 odd years is a huge risk. **** will probably move to ND and provide them with an actual good batsman that isn't Williamson.

Can't really disagree with much else, except Michael Davidson's exclusion from Canterbury for crap like Burtt. Wellington seemed to have raped everyone elses players. Lol at Cameron Merchant though. Likewise Todd Astle still seems to keep getting picked for Canterbury somehow.

Want to see this eleven for CD:

Jamie How
Peter Ingram
Braddles Patton
Mathew Sinclair
Tim Weston
George Worker
Bevan Griggs
Ewen Thompson
Brendon Diamanti
Michael Mason
Mitchell McClennaghan

Oh my God that bowling attack will get raped apart from Mason and Thompson. Still, least we dumped Richard Sherlock. Hopefuly McClennaghan becomes FC standard this year and then test standard in a few years.

Least our bowling won't be chucking as many pies as Canterbury's. Bennett, Burtt, Ellis, Anderson....not scary.

I think we'll come 5th this season, the other teams are looking pretty good. Our batting should ensure plenty of draws though.

Polo23

International Debutant
Least our bowling won't be chucking as many pies as Canterbury's. Bennett, Burtt, Ellis, Anderson....not scary.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Anderson only bowl in one match last season? I don't think he'll be Canterbury's 4th seamer this season.

Also, Worker won't bat number 6. He'll probably open with How slotting in at number 3 (or the other way around).

Howsie

International Captain
What idiot came up with the idea of not contracting Greg Hay? Seriously, he may be out of form but leaving out one of the better State Championship bastsmen of the past 3 odd years is a huge risk. **** will probably move to ND and provide them with an actual good batsman that isn't Williamson.

Can't really disagree with much else, except Michael Davidson's exclusion from Canterbury for crap like Burtt. Wellington seemed to have raped everyone elses players. Lol at Cameron Merchant though. Likewise Todd Astle still seems to keep getting picked for Canterbury somehow.

Want to see this eleven for CD:

Jamie How
Peter Ingram
Braddles Patton
Mathew Sinclair
Tim Weston
George Worker
Bevan Griggs
Ewen Thompson
Brendon Diamanti
Michael Mason
Mitchell McClennaghan

Oh my God that bowling attack will get raped apart from Mason and Thompson. Still, least we dumped Richard Sherlock. Hopefuly McClennaghan becomes FC standard this year and then test standard in a few years.

I think we'll come 5th this season, the other teams are looking pretty good. Our batting should ensure plenty of draws though.
What's so Lol about Merchant, he's going to be a pretty good batsmen.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hay's exclusion was the surprise for me too - for a player that in the season before last performed so well and was even talked about for a potential future Black Cap, his omission is a shame IMO.

Exciting to read about Dilshan signing for Northern Districts for the Twenty20 matches though, and after his performances in the IPL and T20 World Cup its difficult to think of a better player to sign for that form of the game.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Theres a general consensus on this forum that Merchant is crap. I think it came because a few people were bitching on that he was going to be the next big thing when he came over here from Australia, and then he struggled.

From what i've seen he looks pretty decent though. Interesting to see how he goes for Wellington.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
No Hay ? What a ****ing joke.

Good to see Te Ahu Davis back in the domestic scene.

Looking through those teams, its a bit grim. Not a lot of QUALITY depth at all, probably even less than in years gone by.

Flem274*

123/5
A poster called Leslie1 came on here a couple of years back and in unison with brockley, proclaimed Merchant would be in the NZ test side by, oooh about six months ago and that he would be gods gift to NZs batting, mainly because he's Australian etc etc. So far he's turned out pretty meh, and because that passage of NZ domestic posting was so goddamn annoying I don't like Merchant very much anymore. :p

Flem274*

123/5
The six Major Associations have today announced their lists of 12 players to be offered contracts for the 2009-10 season.

Auckland
Michael Bates
Colin De Grandhomme
Roneel Hira
Richard Jones
Anaru Kitchen
Greg Morgan
Tarun Nethula
Jeet Raval
Lance Shaw
Scott Styris
Daryl Tuffey
Reece Young

The Auckland Aces have lost three experienced players to other provinces, in Chris Martin, Rob Nicol and Andy McKay. However they have brought in a talented crop of younger players including several with international experience, including current New Zealand Emerging Players or NZ A members Kitchen, Nethula and Raval, along with NZ Under-19 all-rounder Morgan.

Northern Districts
Graeme Aldridge
Trent Boult
Te Ahu Davis
James Marshall
Bruce Martin
Peter McGlashan
Michael Parlane
Bradley Scott
BJ Watling
Kane Williamson
Brad Wilson
Joseph Yovich

The Northern Knights list sees three new names, including former BLACKCAP Marshall who reverts to a local contract after being omitted from the national list. Recent NZ Emerging Players Davis and Wilson both pick up contract offers. Simon Andrews is missing from the 2008-09 contract list, along with Cameron Merchant (to Wellington) and Brent Arnel (national contract).

Central Districts
Doug Bracewell
Brendon Diamanti
Bevan Griggs
Jamie How
Peter Ingram :p
Mitchell McClenaghan
Michael Mason
Brad Patton
Mathew Sinclair
Ewen Thompson
Tim Weston
George Worker

BLACKCAPS Jamie How and Michael Mason have joined the Central Stags' contract roster after missing out on national contracts. Other new contracts go to 18-year old New Zealand Under-19 player Bracewell, Emerging Players squad member Worker, and Patton. From the 2008-09 squad, Robbie Schaw has moved to Wellington, while Greg Hay, Brent Hefford, Tim Lythe, and Richard Sherlock are omitted.

Wellington
Matthew Bell
Harry Boam
Dewayne Bowden
Josh Brodie
BJ Crook
Mark Gillespie
Andy McKay
Cameron Merchant
Chris Nevin
Neal Parlane
Robbie Schaw
Luke Woodcock

The Wellington Firebirds secure three new players in top order batsman Merchant (from Northern Districts), Schaw (from Central Districts) and former Auckland left arm opening bowler McKay strengthening the bowling attack. Mark Houghton, Kevin Forde and Michael Burns are omitted from last season's contract list.

Canterbury
Corey Anderson
Todd Astle
Hamish Bennett
Leighton Burtt
Jason Donnelly
Andrew Ellis
Peter Fulton
Johann Myburgh
Rob Nicol
Michael Papps
Shanan Stewart
Kruger van Wyk

Fulton returns to the Canterbury Wizards roster after missing out on a national contract. Former Aucklander Nicol will add depth to the top order batting and spin bowling, while left arm spinner Donnelly joins after spending last year as a contracted rookie in South Australia. From last year's list, Brandon Hiini, Michael Davidson and Iain Robertson miss out on contract offers this season.

Otago
Nick Beard
Derek de Boorder
Craig Cumming
Shaun Haig
Mat Harvie
Nathan McCullum
James McMillan
Warren McSkimming
Leighton Morgan
Aaron Redmond
Greg Todd
Neil Wagner

The Otago Volts list sees Redmond rejoin Otago after being on a national contract, while Haig returns after missing out last season. New Zealand Under-19 and Emerging Players slow left-arm orthodox bowler Beard is a newcomer to the roster. Missing from last year's list are Neil Broom and Ian Butler, who go onto national contracts, while Craig Smith was omitted after suffering serious back injury last season.
MMR's post got me wondering, so I went through and highlighted players I rated. Can add Hay and Davidson to those lists too.:dry: Anyone care to agree/disagree?

Polo23

International Debutant
Agree with all of them Flem bar Bruce Martin and Peter McGlashan. I also rate Griggs, Worker, Nicol and to a lesser extent Merchant.

SmityNZ

Cricket Spectator
Hopefuly McClennaghan becomes FC standard this year and then test standard in a few years.
I hope I'm not talking out of turn here but I thought this required a rebuttal. I'm new to this so I won't resort to name-calling....but what's your go brother?

The guy was third-top wicket-taker in last year's State Championship. He took a hat-trick and his bowling in a televised Twenty20 match did enough to draw big plaudits from one of our most successful Test bowlers. And from all that, selectors who know a fair bit about the game (not suggesting more than you, just saying) then picked him for New Zealand A where he took a five-wicket bag against an England Lions team featuring Test players.

Yet you say he's not first-class standard? I can't see the logic - except that it seems you've taken quite a shining to bagging him. I'm interested to know what your issue is when good judges of the game in NZ have plenty of raps on him.

Last edited:

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I hope I'm not talking out of turn here but I thought this required a rebuttal. I'm new to this so I won't resort to name-calling....but what's your go brother?

The guy was third-top wicket-taker in last year's State Championship. He took a hat-trick and his bowling in a televised Twenty20 match did enough to draw big plaudits from one of our most successful Test bowlers. And from all that, selectors who know a fair bit about the game (not suggesting more than you, just saying) then picked him for New Zealand A where he took a five-wicket bag against an England Lions team featuring Test players.

Yet you say he's not first-class standard? I can't see the logic - except that it seems you've taken quite a shining to bagging him. I'm interested to know what your issue is when good judges of the game in NZ have plenty of raps on him.
Can
O'
Worms

Flem274*

123/5

FC matches 12

BBI=3/5 (good, but..)
Bowling average: 47.15
Economy rate=3.93
BBM: 5/173
SR=71.8

So basically, outside of maybe two games all up, we have a fast bowler who can barely bowl in a straight line, almost averages 50 with the ball, and has a strikerate of 70. Yet people such as Mark Richardson were creaming their pants at the prospect of him opening up our bowling. Not to mention the "anyone who bowls under 140kmh sucks" brigade, usually led by two certain posters on this forum and countless talkback callers, have this guy as their poster boy.

He has potential, but like Hamish Bennett and Te Ahu Davis, he's pretty rubbish atm and is basically the kiwi Amjad Khan or Mohammed Sami. No thanks, I'll stick with Wagner, Bond, and in limited overs, Butler, as our quicker bowlers for the meantime.

I'd love him to do well, I'm the most biased CD fan in existence, but the amount of times this guy has hindered rather than helped his domestic side grinds my gears. Its like watching Mark Gillespie in ODIs. You're just waiting for the pasting...

FWIW, I'd be surprised if he doesn't improve. He can get good bounce and kiwi batsmen aren't the greatest at anything above 140kmh, which is understandable for domestic batsmen. So far he's good at 20/20, but not much else.

I'd like to see him in NZ emerging players and maybe NZ A for some experience, but as for his performance so far its simply not good enough and I'm sure even his biggest fans would want the above better.

Last edited:

SmityNZ

Cricket Spectator
I'm curious - are you basing this 'can barely bowl in a straight line' comment on having seen him regularly or are you making an 'educated' guess based on statistics? Because I see you're from Palmy and CD doesn't play a lot of cricket there..and if it was the latter, that would be a dangerous thing to be doing. Judging players on scorecards will never give the real picture.

From what I have seen/heard, line is not his issue. Perhaps length can be at times with better batsmen and the fact that he is not a consistent swinger of the ball (at least yet) but line...I don't know.

You may well stick with Bond, Wagner and Butler but the first one is 34 years old, the second isn't qualified until around 2011 and the third is fighting a battle against a historically bad back.

Is there no thought to giving a young guy a fair chance? Fair go with Bennett, he's played 28 FC matches. McClenaghan has played 12 over one and a half seasons.

I note you're a die-hard CD supporter - perhaps it's best to use Greg Hay as an example. The guy burst onto the scene and was a great tip to make the tour to England. Where is he now? In exile. Has he lost that talent? No. What he lost was support from his province when times went temporarily bad. That's a shame to me.

Another example to me, as an England fan, would be Andrew Flintoff. Might be a bit tenuous to link him to McClenaghan but remember Flintoff was a raw talent when he came into international cricket. Had the pace, bounce and all the skills but was erratic and his averages started off awfully. But England knew they had something they had to utilise as someone that quick and fiery didn't come along often - and now look at the results.

Not suggesting McClenaghan=Flintoff..but how many guys around the place bowl 140km plus, are 6foot4 or so and hit the deck? It's early days - one day I predict you'll be happy he's at CD.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm curious - are you basing this 'can barely bowl in a straight line' comment on having seen him regularly or are you making an 'educated' guess based on statistics? Because I see you're from Palmy and CD doesn't play a lot of cricket there..and if it was the latter, that would be a dangerous thing to be doing. Judging players on scorecards will never give the real picture.

From what I have seen/heard, line is not his issue. Perhaps length can be at times with better batsmen and the fact that he is not a consistent swinger of the ball (at least yet) but line...I don't know.

You may well stick with Bond, Wagner and Butler but the first one is 34 years old, the second isn't qualified until around 2011 and the third is fighting a battle against a historically bad back.

Is there no thought to giving a young guy a fair chance? Fair go with Bennett, he's played 28 FC matches. McClenaghan has played 12 over one and a half seasons.

I note you're a die-hard CD supporter - perhaps it's best to use Greg Hay as an example. The guy burst onto the scene and was a great tip to make the tour to England. Where is he now? In exile. Has he lost that talent? No. What he lost was support from his province when times went temporarily bad. That's a shame to me.

Another example to me, as an England fan, would be Andrew Flintoff. Might be a bit tenuous to link him to McClenaghan but remember Flintoff was a raw talent when he came into international cricket. Had the pace, bounce and all the skills but was erratic and his averages started off awfully. But England knew they had something they had to utilise as someone that quick and fiery didn't come along often - and now look at the results.

Not suggesting McClenaghan=Flintoff..but how many guys around the place bowl 140km plus, are 6foot4 or so and hit the deck? It's early days - one day I predict you'll be happy he's at CD.
I'm pretty certain that one day at least he'll be a good domestic opening bowler (I hate to jump the gun and proclaim the next big thing with young NZ fast bowlers, they invariably get injured:dry:).

I've heard him bowling on the radio, which whilst not seeing him as such, from what the commentators describe you can always get a decent picture for a much talked about young player. I'm not a big fan of fast bowlers with accuracy issues myself, the inconsistent swing can be worked with but until he bowls in consistent areas he will struggle.

I'm not saying he'll never be any good (though tbf in more heated moments with matt52 and Howsie I may have:ph34r:), but this season I would like him to prove himself FC standard, or even better (but maybe a bit out of reach for such a raw bowler), a test standard one.

And tbh, whilst I can't say for certain whether England had better players at the time, Flintoffs inclusion in the side when he was so bad was a big risk and leap of faith that he could cope with the bad days, and that he would eventualy come good and that Caddick, Gough and co. could cover for him.

And don't get me started on Greg Hay, should have gone to England ahead of Marshall and the one season wonder (Flynn) who admittedly has done well so far.:p

Originally from Taranaki btw, down in Palmy for uni.

SmityNZ

Cricket Spectator
That's cool, I understand where you're coming from...

I just think we should give a young guy a go. I think he's 23 or there abouts, with not even 2 full seasons under his belt. You're obviously not happy with the way Hay has been treated (I would go the same way) and a lot of people would be similar if McClenaghan was punted because he's got serious talent. He bowls a lot of overs at CD so I reckon Reeve and Sinclair must rate him.

If he has similar stats to Bennett after 25 odd FC games then fair enough. But cut him some slack - he'll win you games. He'll also get hit about sometimes but that's the nature of a quick bowler sometimes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's cool, I understand where you're coming from...

I just think we should give a young guy a go. I think he's 23 or there abouts, with not even 2 full seasons under his belt. You're obviously not happy with the way Hay has been treated (I would go the same way) and a lot of people would be similar if McClenaghan was punted because he's got serious talent. He bowls a lot of overs at CD so I reckon Reeve and Sinclair must rate him.

If he has similar stats to Bennett after 25 odd FC games then fair enough. But cut him some slack - he'll win you games. He'll also get hit about sometimes but that's the nature of a quick bowler sometimes.
There's a big difference between someone yet to prove they are First Class standard and someone who shouldn't be selected in First Class cricket. Flem's saying the former (which is something I really don't think anyone can dispute given he's done absolutely nothing in First Class cricket) while you were (originally at least) arguing against the latter point which, UIMM, no-one has actually tried to say.

No-one's seriously suggesting he should be exiled forever based on his twelve First Class games; merely that the guy should actually have to perform before he's rated as anything more than a fringe First Class cricketer. At the moment his plaudits are based purely on that he looks like he might maybe one day be okay.

Last edited: