Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2009/10

Cricket Spectator

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2009/10

The six Major Associations have today announced their lists of 12 players to be offered contracts for the 2009-10 season.

Auckland
    Michael Bates
    Colin De Grandhomme
    Roneel Hira
    Richard Jones
    Anaru Kitchen
    Greg Morgan
    Tarun Nethula
    Jeet Raval
    Lance Shaw
    Scott Styris
    Daryl Tuffey
    Reece Young

The Auckland Aces have lost three experienced players to other provinces, in Chris Martin, Rob Nicol and Andy McKay. However they have brought in a talented crop of younger players including several with international experience, including current New Zealand Emerging Players or NZ A members Kitchen, Nethula and Raval, along with NZ Under-19 all-rounder Morgan.

Northern Districts
    Graeme Aldridge
    Trent Boult
    Te Ahu Davis
    James Marshall
    Bruce Martin
    Peter McGlashan
    Michael Parlane
    Bradley Scott
    BJ Watling
    Kane Williamson
    Brad Wilson
    Joseph Yovich

The Northern Knights list sees three new names, including former BLACKCAP Marshall who reverts to a local contract after being omitted from the national list. Recent NZ Emerging Players Davis and Wilson both pick up contract offers. Simon Andrews is missing from the 2008-09 contract list, along with Cameron Merchant (to Wellington) and Brent Arnel (national contract).

Central Districts
    Doug Bracewell
    Brendon Diamanti
    Bevan Griggs
    Jamie How
    Peter Ingram
    Mitchell McClenaghan
    Michael Mason
    Brad Patton
    Mathew Sinclair
    Ewen Thompson
    Tim Weston
    George Worker

BLACKCAPS Jamie How and Michael Mason have joined the Central Stags' contract roster after missing out on national contracts. Other new contracts go to 18-year old New Zealand Under-19 player Bracewell, Emerging Players squad member Worker, and Patton. From the 2008-09 squad, Robbie Schaw has moved to Wellington, while Greg Hay, Brent Hefford, Tim Lythe, and Richard Sherlock are omitted.

Wellington
    Matthew Bell
    Harry Boam
    Dewayne Bowden
    Josh Brodie
    BJ Crook
    Mark Gillespie
    Andy McKay
    Cameron Merchant
    Chris Nevin
    Neal Parlane
    Robbie Schaw
    Luke Woodcock

The Wellington Firebirds secure three new players in top order batsman Merchant (from Northern Districts), Schaw (from Central Districts) and former Auckland left arm opening bowler McKay strengthening the bowling attack. Mark Houghton, Kevin Forde and Michael Burns are omitted from last season's contract list.

Canterbury
    Corey Anderson
    Todd Astle
    Hamish Bennett
    Leighton Burtt
    Jason Donnelly
    Andrew Ellis
    Peter Fulton
    Johann Myburgh
    Rob Nicol
    Michael Papps
    Shanan Stewart
    Kruger van Wyk

Fulton returns to the Canterbury Wizards roster after missing out on a national contract. Former Aucklander Nicol will add depth to the top order batting and spin bowling, while left arm spinner Donnelly joins after spending last year as a contracted rookie in South Australia. From last year's list, Brandon Hiini, Michael Davidson and Iain Robertson miss out on contract offers this season.

Otago
    Nick Beard
    Derek de Boorder
    Craig Cumming
    Shaun Haig
    Mat Harvie
    Nathan McCullum
    James McMillan
    Warren McSkimming
    Leighton Morgan
    Aaron Redmond
    Greg Todd
    Neil Wagner

The Otago Volts list sees Redmond rejoin Otago after being on a national contract, while Haig returns after missing out last season. New Zealand Under-19 and Emerging Players slow left-arm orthodox bowler Beard is a newcomer to the roster. Missing from last year's list are Neil Broom and Ian Butler, who go onto national contracts, while Craig Smith was omitted after suffering serious back injury last season.
    Last edited by 204*; 20-07-2009 at 03:59 PM.

ND will have the services of Dilshan for the Twenty20:
    Northern Districts sign Dilshan | New Zealand Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    What idiot came up with the idea of not contracting Greg Hay? Seriously, he may be out of form but leaving out one of the better State Championship bastsmen of the past 3 odd years is a huge risk. **** will probably move to ND and provide them with an actual good batsman that isn't Williamson.

Can't really disagree with much else, except Michael Davidson's exclusion from Canterbury for crap like Burtt. Wellington seemed to have raped everyone elses players. Lol at Cameron Merchant though. Likewise Todd Astle still seems to keep getting picked for Canterbury somehow.

Want to see this eleven for CD:

Jamie How
    Peter Ingram
    Braddles Patton
    Mathew Sinclair
    Tim Weston
    George Worker
    Bevan Griggs
    Ewen Thompson
    Brendon Diamanti
    Michael Mason
    Mitchell McClennaghan

Oh my God that bowling attack will get raped apart from Mason and Thompson. Still, least we dumped Richard Sherlock. Hopefuly McClennaghan becomes FC standard this year and then test standard in a few years.

Least our bowling won't be chucking as many pies as Canterbury's. Bennett, Burtt, Ellis, Anderson....not scary.

I think we'll come 5th this season, the other teams are looking pretty good. Our batting should ensure plenty of draws though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Poor Mark Houghton... dumped for Robbie Schaw. Not too impressed with the Cantabs dumping Hiini either.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Least our bowling won't be chucking as many pies as Canterbury's. Bennett, Burtt, Ellis, Anderson....not scary.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Anderson only bowl in one match last season? I don't think he'll be Canterbury's 4th seamer this season.

Also, Worker won't bat number 6. He'll probably open with How slotting in at number 3 (or the other way around).

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    ND will have the services of Dilshan for the Twenty20:
    Northern Districts sign Dilshan | New Zealand Cricket News | Cricinfo.com
    Awesome!

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    What idiot came up with the idea of not contracting Greg Hay? Seriously, he may be out of form but leaving out one of the better State Championship bastsmen of the past 3 odd years is a huge risk. **** will probably move to ND and provide them with an actual good batsman that isn't Williamson.

Can't really disagree with much else, except Michael Davidson's exclusion from Canterbury for crap like Burtt. Wellington seemed to have raped everyone elses players. Lol at Cameron Merchant though. Likewise Todd Astle still seems to keep getting picked for Canterbury somehow.

Want to see this eleven for CD:

Jamie How
    Peter Ingram
    Braddles Patton
    Mathew Sinclair
    Tim Weston
    George Worker
    Bevan Griggs
    Ewen Thompson
    Brendon Diamanti
    Michael Mason
    Mitchell McClennaghan

Oh my God that bowling attack will get raped apart from Mason and Thompson. Still, least we dumped Richard Sherlock. Hopefuly McClennaghan becomes FC standard this year and then test standard in a few years.

I think we'll come 5th this season, the other teams are looking pretty good. Our batting should ensure plenty of draws though.
    What's so Lol about Merchant, he's going to be a pretty good batsmen.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Hay's exclusion was the surprise for me too - for a player that in the season before last performed so well and was even talked about for a potential future Black Cap, his omission is a shame IMO.

Exciting to read about Dilshan signing for Northern Districts for the Twenty20 matches though, and after his performances in the IPL and T20 World Cup its difficult to think of a better player to sign for that form of the game.
    Last edited by Somerset; 20-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
    Theres a general consensus on this forum that Merchant is crap. I think it came because a few people were bitching on that he was going to be the next big thing when he came over here from Australia, and then he struggled.

From what i've seen he looks pretty decent though. Interesting to see how he goes for Wellington.

No Hay ? What a ****ing joke.

Good to see Te Ahu Davis back in the domestic scene.

Looking through those teams, its a bit grim. Not a lot of QUALITY depth at all, probably even less than in years gone by.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
    A poster called Leslie1 came on here a couple of years back and in unison with brockley, proclaimed Merchant would be in the NZ test side by, oooh about six months ago and that he would be gods gift to NZs batting, mainly because he's Australian etc etc. So far he's turned out pretty meh, and because that passage of NZ domestic posting was so goddamn annoying I don't like Merchant very much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 204* View Post
    The six Major Associations have today announced their lists of 12 players to be offered contracts for the 2009-10 season.

Auckland
    Michael Bates
    Colin De Grandhomme
    Roneel Hira
    Richard Jones
    Anaru Kitchen
    Greg Morgan
    Tarun Nethula
    Jeet Raval
    Lance Shaw
    Scott Styris
    Daryl Tuffey
    Reece Young

The Auckland Aces have lost three experienced players to other provinces, in Chris Martin, Rob Nicol and Andy McKay. However they have brought in a talented crop of younger players including several with international experience, including current New Zealand Emerging Players or NZ A members Kitchen, Nethula and Raval, along with NZ Under-19 all-rounder Morgan.

Northern Districts
    Graeme Aldridge
    Trent Boult
    Te Ahu Davis
    James Marshall
    Bruce Martin
    Peter McGlashan
    Michael Parlane
    Bradley Scott
    BJ Watling
    Kane Williamson
    Brad Wilson
    Joseph Yovich

The Northern Knights list sees three new names, including former BLACKCAP Marshall who reverts to a local contract after being omitted from the national list. Recent NZ Emerging Players Davis and Wilson both pick up contract offers. Simon Andrews is missing from the 2008-09 contract list, along with Cameron Merchant (to Wellington) and Brent Arnel (national contract).

Central Districts
    Doug Bracewell
    Brendon Diamanti
    Bevan Griggs
    Jamie How
    Peter Ingram
    Mitchell McClenaghan
    Michael Mason
    Brad Patton
    Mathew Sinclair
    Ewen Thompson
    Tim Weston
    George Worker

BLACKCAPS Jamie How and Michael Mason have joined the Central Stags' contract roster after missing out on national contracts. Other new contracts go to 18-year old New Zealand Under-19 player Bracewell, Emerging Players squad member Worker, and Patton. From the 2008-09 squad, Robbie Schaw has moved to Wellington, while Greg Hay, Brent Hefford, Tim Lythe, and Richard Sherlock are omitted.

Wellington
    Matthew Bell
    Harry Boam
    Dewayne Bowden
    Josh Brodie
    BJ Crook
    Mark Gillespie
    Andy McKay
    Cameron Merchant
    Chris Nevin
    Neal Parlane
    Robbie Schaw
    Luke Woodcock

The Wellington Firebirds secure three new players in top order batsman Merchant (from Northern Districts), Schaw (from Central Districts) and former Auckland left arm opening bowler McKay strengthening the bowling attack. Mark Houghton, Kevin Forde and Michael Burns are omitted from last season's contract list.

Canterbury
    Corey Anderson
    Todd Astle
    Hamish Bennett
    Leighton Burtt
    Jason Donnelly
    Andrew Ellis
    Peter Fulton
    Johann Myburgh
    Rob Nicol
    Michael Papps
    Shanan Stewart
    Kruger van Wyk

Fulton returns to the Canterbury Wizards roster after missing out on a national contract. Former Aucklander Nicol will add depth to the top order batting and spin bowling, while left arm spinner Donnelly joins after spending last year as a contracted rookie in South Australia. From last year's list, Brandon Hiini, Michael Davidson and Iain Robertson miss out on contract offers this season.

Otago
    Nick Beard
    Derek de Boorder
    Craig Cumming
    Shaun Haig
    Mat Harvie
    Nathan McCullum
    James McMillan
    Warren McSkimming
    Leighton Morgan
    Aaron Redmond
    Greg Todd
    Neil Wagner

The Otago Volts list sees Redmond rejoin Otago after being on a national contract, while Haig returns after missing out last season. New Zealand Under-19 and Emerging Players slow left-arm orthodox bowler Beard is a newcomer to the roster. Missing from last year's list are Neil Broom and Ian Butler, who go onto national contracts, while Craig Smith was omitted after suffering serious back injury last season.
    MMR's post got me wondering, so I went through and highlighted players I rated. Can add Hay and Davidson to those lists too. Anyone care to agree/disagree?

International Debutant
    Agree with all of them Flem bar Bruce Martin and Peter McGlashan. I also rate Griggs, Worker, Nicol and to a lesser extent Merchant.

Cricket Spectator
    Hopefuly McClennaghan becomes FC standard this year and then test standard in a few years.
    I hope I'm not talking out of turn here but I thought this required a rebuttal. I'm new to this so I won't resort to name-calling....but what's your go brother?

The guy was third-top wicket-taker in last year's State Championship. He took a hat-trick and his bowling in a televised Twenty20 match did enough to draw big plaudits from one of our most successful Test bowlers. And from all that, selectors who know a fair bit about the game (not suggesting more than you, just saying) then picked him for New Zealand A where he took a five-wicket bag against an England Lions team featuring Test players.

Yet you say he's not first-class standard? I can't see the logic - except that it seems you've taken quite a shining to bagging him. I'm interested to know what your issue is when good judges of the game in NZ have plenty of raps on him.
    Last edited by SmityNZ; 21-07-2009 at 04:24 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SmityNZ View Post
    I hope I'm not talking out of turn here but I thought this required a rebuttal. I'm new to this so I won't resort to name-calling....but what's your go brother?

The guy was third-top wicket-taker in last year's State Championship. He took a hat-trick and his bowling in a televised Twenty20 match did enough to draw big plaudits from one of our most successful Test bowlers. And from all that, selectors who know a fair bit about the game (not suggesting more than you, just saying) then picked him for New Zealand A where he took a five-wicket bag against an England Lions team featuring Test players.

Yet you say he's not first-class standard? I can't see the logic - except that it seems you've taken quite a shining to bagging him. I'm interested to know what your issue is when good judges of the game in NZ have plenty of raps on him.
    Can
    O'
    Worms

Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information