• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2009/10

Flem274*

123/5
Haha ND get Thilikaratne (sic) Dilshan, Otago get Mascarenhas and Wellington get....Owais Shah, who iirc isnt even that good at limited overs.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Owais Shah isnt very good at ODI cricket? Are you serious?

The guy is pure class? Im over here and get to see him regularly...you obviously know nothing about cricket

Flem274*

123/5
Owais Shah isnt very good at ODI cricket? Are you serious?

The guy is pure class? Im over here and get to see him regularly...you obviously know nothing about cricket
I love that line "I need an insult to show how big and knowledgeable I am"

I know that cricket involves 6 deliveries per over, I guess thats something. :p

I've always been under the impression Shah was a good FC batsman but a poor List A one. He certainly isnt that hot at ODIs.

If he has a good List A record then I'm wrong. Meh, who cares.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Im not throwing anything around to stamp my authority on you

To suggest a guy is average because you havent seen much of him is a bullsh!t reason to think he's 'OK'

So the knowledgable people of Wellington cricket are wrong, Stephen Fleming is wrong because one guy on a message board says that Wellington have signed an OK overseas player...

All im saying is he's now your best player. Jesse Ryder by the way averages 27 in List A cricket and 21 in all T20 cricket so if you signed him as an overseas player he'd be classed as crap going by your standards

Flem274*

123/5
Im not throwing anything around to stamp my authority on you

To suggest a guy is average because you havent seen much of him is a bullsh!t reason to think he's 'OK'

So the knowledgable people of Wellington cricket are wrong, Stephen Fleming is wrong because one guy on a message board says that Wellington have signed an OK overseas player...

All im saying is he's now your best player. Jesse Ryder by the way averages 27 in List A cricket and 21 in all T20 cricket so if you signed him as an overseas player he'd be classed as crap going by your standards
"You obviously know nothing about cricket"...

Irrelevant girly bitchiness aside, I'm not saying I know more than all those you listed. I'm saying he's not amazing at List A. I'll concede he's not poor either (thought he averaged in the twenties) but he's merely average. Also where did I say i havent seen much of him? I've watched quite a few England ODIs he's played in. Granted I obviously can't watch CC but his List A figures arent much of an improvement over his ODI ones and its the same player, different competition.

He's not my best player either. I for one hope Central Districts thrash Wellington into the ground.

Jesse Ryder before his ODI selection was largely crap in List A. He always had potential but an average of 27 is hardly performing is it?

Last edited:

trapol

U19 12th Man
of course i can concede how that can come across as bitchiness and that certainly wasnt my intention. However it does irk me when people judge others when they havent seen much of somebody.

In Shahs case, he is extremely highly rated and has a reputation as being a massive underachiever but its also acknowledged that in the last couple of years or more specifically since he was elevated to the England set up he has raised his game and is considered a top talent

I personally believe Wellington have done very well with this signing

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
I wonder what sort of pay these overseas players demand, cause we really can't afford it. I'd rather the money was invested into our domestic infrastructure and not specifically Twenty20.

I doubt having overseas players like Dilshan and Shah around for just the Twenty20's is going to help lift the quality of our local talent. At least Mascarenhas played the other forms too.

The local boards probably see it as an investment in getting to the Champions Trophy, but it isn't guaranteed that a Kiwi side will be let in each tournament, let alone whether the tournament will continue for very long.

SmityNZ

Cricket Spectator
However it does irk me when people judge others when they havent seen much of somebody.
Hanging around here might not be your go then, champion. You might get more stress than you're after. Appears to be a bit of it goes on....

Shah averaged nigh on 40 in ODIs last year and is in the high 30s over the last three years. They're good numbers. Very solid numbers.

Wellington has made a good signing, you're right.

Id agree with the last guy - these sort of signings are really only tailored to winning trophies rather than developing local talent. You had a guy like Graham Napier last season who was opening the batting (sometimes) or being up the order in limited-overs/Twenty20 cricket then bowling the key overs like the powerplays etc. Those duties should ideally go to our up-and-coming talent with a view to improving their skills for the step up to the higher levels.

Last edited:

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
In-depth analysis of Shah :laugh:

Lets go through the list for Shah.

Injured his team-mate in training
Can't field
Can't run between the wickets
Can't decide to run between the wickets
At best a mediocre batsman who usually wastes lots of deliveries getting in
Has no prospects of getting any better
Throws his wicket away in a stupid manner

What a player.
Shah showing how he's got an all-round level of ****eness. He's not just **** at batting, he's **** in the field too.
Shah in aggressive batting before wasting 40-50 balls shocker.
Good luck to Welly :happy:
Can see Shah and Bell having several run-out escapades

Athlai

Not Terrible
Shah will probably dominate at List A level in New Zealand. Isn't like Mascarenhas is a world beater either Phlegm

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paper today suggested Auckland were looking to sign Andrew Symonds. Mixed feelings, tbh. Could help the team's fortunes, but not their likeability.