• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2009/10

Flem274*

123/5
I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, I really did. But now I cannot believe how anyone can take you seriously.

It can't be a CD bias because Hay and McClenaghan play for the same team. You've just landed a pffft in front of Kitchen's name and I presume you meant the same for de Grandhomme and Young.

Kitchen..averages 55. Scored three tons in his debut season. Is strong off both front and back foot and has many more shots than Hay. Plus is a crackerjack fielder.
de Grandhomme. Granted not the most consistent, but scored back-to-back tons last season. And would not be in competition with Hay as he is a #6/7. Also bowls one of the heaviest balls in FC cricket.
Young. An underachiever in his early years but has shone recently. Averaged over 50 last season with two tons, and is the best out and out gloveman in the country.

All three of those guys are capable of playing all three forms just as proficiently. Hay is not.
Kitchen is good, very good, but I was under the impression he played lower down the order, not at number three. Hay has.

And Kitchen would not be the first one dropped by any means, I'd be sending the likes of the other two out first because Kitchen frankly owns them in the positions they occupied in the team the other guy listed. Young I don't really rate, he's had one or two good seasons but I doubt he'll ever be test quality. Unless he's much improved from the player I saw playing dinky shots over the past few years as almost his staple.

If he was the best gloveman in the country, why does Hopkins get the gloves then?

de Grandhomme isn't really, well I don't know about him. By all accounts from people that have seen moreo f him, including when he was in Zimbabwean youth teams, he was always a batsman that did a bit of bowling, yet his bowling last season iirc was awesome whilst his batting was meh. No idea what to make of him.

Last edited:

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Kitchen is good, very good, but I was under the impression he played lower down the order, not at number three. Hay has.

And Kitchen would not be the first one dropped by any means, I'd be sending the likes of the other two out first because Kitchen frankly owns them in the positions they occupied in the team the other guy listed. Young I don't really rate, he's had one or two good seasons but I doubt he'll ever be test quality. Unless he's much improved from the player I saw playing dinky shots over the past few years as almost his staple.

If he was the best gloveman in the country, why does Hopkins get the gloves then?

de Grandhomme isn't really, well I don't know about him. By all accounts from people that have seen moreo f him, including when he was in Zimbabwean youth teams, he was always a batsman that did a bit of bowling, yet his bowling last season iirc was awesome whilst his batting was meh. No idea what to make of him.
From what I've seen of de Grandhomme I think he will turn out to be a pretty decent ODI player, he looks to have a real good presense at the crease. His bowling is very hand to, would probably get up to around 130K, maybe a little quicker.

Flem274*

123/5
From what I've seen of de Grandhomme I think he will turn out to be a pretty decent ODI player, he looks to have a real good presense at the crease. His bowling is very hand to, would probably get up to around 130K, maybe a little quicker.
Hmm, so coupled with his underperforming batting, and his overperforming bowling, we're making a bits and pieces player?

Really hope he gets the batting going. He did have big wraps on him when he came over.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Hmm, so coupled with his underperforming batting, and his overperforming bowling, we're making a bits and pieces player?

Really hope he gets the batting going. He did have big wraps on him when he came over.
I wouldn't call him a bits and peices player though. Brendon Diamanti is the king of useless bit's n pieces players but I would rate de Grandhhome a level above him with the bat even at this stage of his carrer. Like I said earlier, some of the innings I've seen him play have been very classy, there is no reason why he couldn't become the next Scott Styris, or maybe even Jacob Oram.

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldn't call him a bits and peices player though. Brendon Diamanti is the king of useless bit's n pieces players but I would rate de Grandhhome a level above him with the bat even at this stage of his carrer. Like I said earlier, some of the innings I've seen him play have been very classy, there is no reason why he couldn't become the next Scott Styris, or maybe even Jacob Oram.
Ahhh Diamanti, and people think I'm nasty to Mitchell....

He's played some classy innings its true, just need some consistency. We don't need anymore Diamantis :p

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Tbf, Diamanti is possibly better than Dwayne Bowden though.

Must have done something to get an ODI call up...
Tbh I don't know how he got the call-up. Your a CD fan so I guess you might know better then I do but wasn't it because he played a few good T20 games?

That's pretty weak to select him to play for NZ when most people will agree he will never amount to anything, I guess the same thing was said about Elliott and now McIntosh, but Diamanti has nothing in his favour. His batting is rank, and his bowling is nothing more then a Jesse Ryder trundle, granted he has a better slower-ball.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh I don't know how he got the call-up. Your a CD fan so I guess you might know better then I do but wasn't it because he played a few good T20 games?

That's pretty weak to select him to play for NZ when most people will agree he will never amount to anything, I guess the same thing was said about Elliott and now McIntosh, but Diamanti has nothing in his favour. His batting is rank, and his bowling is nothing more then a Jesse Ryder trundle, granted he has a better slower-ball.
Elliott was always a good OD player after his move here (remember PEWS posting some stats which were freakishly above his career record). The other two though, well...

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Elliott was always a good OD player after his move here (remember PEWS posting some stats which were freakishly above his career record). The other two though, well...
Well he has a fantastic ODI record at the moment, 50 with the bat 24 with the ball. Best all-rounder in ODI cricket at the moment lol.

McIntosh isn't that bad, I think he will do quite well in Sri Lanka.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Jesse Ryder isn't THAT slow, seen him in ODI's and can hit 135. Diaminti just looked utter tripe compared to him.
Yeah I know, I've seen him hit 138 against India sometime this year. I was just saying that Diamanti isn't much of a all-rounder, I'd rank Ryder's bowling higher then his.

Flem274*

123/5
Best thing about Mason being uninjured for CD and Butler in limited overs for NZ-they can take Diamanti's place. Of course CD won't drop him, we don't have many bowlers at all and he's handy, even if he is Ewen Thompsons pretender at domestic level, but still.....please?

How
Ingram
Patton
Sinclair
Worker (not the best place for him but he's the number 3 opener and no sense in bumping the two gunnest bats down to 4 and five)
Weston
Griggs
Thompson
Mason
McClennaghan
Hefford

Heh heh heh.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Best thing about Mason being uninjured for CD and Butler in limited overs for NZ-they can take Diamanti's place. Of course CD won't drop him, we don't have many bowlers at all and he's handy, even if he is Ewen Thompsons pretender at domestic level, but still.....please?

How
Ingram
Patton
Sinclair
Worker (not the best place for him but he's the number 3 opener and no sense in bumping the two gunnest bats down to 4 and five)
Weston
Griggs
Thompson
Mason
McClennaghan
Hefford

Heh heh heh.
Decent team Flem but I've just got a couple of questions.

1.Ingram, and I know he has been very good over the last 1-2 years will most likey never play for New Zealand. Why not drop him down to three, I don't like the idea of Worker not opening.

2.What happened to Richard Sherlock, is he going to be hanging around or is he leaving?

Flem274*

123/5
Decent team Flem but I've just got a couple of questions.

1.Ingram, and I know he has been very good over the last 1-2 years will most likey never play for New Zealand. Why not drop him down to three, I don't like the idea of Worker not opening.

2.What happened to Richard Sherlock, is he going to be hanging around or is he leaving?
1. Pinga has been the most succesful opener, plus I'm his fanboy, so he stayed there as he seemed a logical choice. Might play for NZ, we did pick McIntosh, who is not dissimilar to him.

2. Bowled pies, got dropped. Guess CD feel the bad bowling plus his historical injury woes just aren't worth the money.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Okay how about pushing Jamie How down to three. I just don't want Worker to go backwards this season, he just looks like such a promising batsmen. Ingram will never amount to much in my opinion, from what I've seen his footwork is pretty poor. Although he did rake up 100's against the Lions this year.

Flem274*

123/5
Okay how about pushing Jamie How down to three. I just don't want Worker to go backwards this season, he just looks like such a promising batsmen. Ingram will never amount to much in my opinion, from what I've seen his footwork is pretty poor. Although he did rake up 100's against the Lions this year.
Yeah, I'm biased, but Pinga's footwork is my one big worry about him in tests. He has a good eye and everything, but would be interesting to see whether he's Mathew Bell or Marcus Trescothick.

How down at three could work, but Patton imo should have game time at three as well, because he's looking pretty good so far.

Worker has plenty of time. Skippy won't be around much longer and How or Pinga will probably get called up to the rotating opener position for NZ.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, I'm biased, but Pinga's footwork is my one big worry about him in tests. He has a good eye and everything, but would be interesting to see whether he's Mathew Bell or Marcus Trescothick.

How down at three could work, but Patton imo should have game time at three as well, because he's looking pretty good so far.

Worker has plenty of time. Skippy won't be around much longer and How or Pinga will probably get called up to the rotating opener position for NZ.
If McIntosh fails in Sri Lanka I would be very interested to see where NZC go next. But to be perfectly honest Guptill and Ingram together wouldn't be to good on the old heart rate.