• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chaminda Vaas...

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
One of my favourite ever bowlers, always thought he was hugely underrated, was amazed at his omission from the T20 cup, i'd have him over that Udana bloke any day, especially when you throw in his batting.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chaminda Vaas: 'A bowler should be like a managing director of a company' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

We weren't stressed at all before that 1996 World Cup final. The night before, we were joking around. A few of us went to look at carpets. The gravity of the situation didn't really occur to us.
:blink:

In 1996, there were seven employees in the Sri Lankan cricket board. After we won the World Cup, I remember Roshan Mahanama saying: "This will be the start and the end for Sri Lankan cricket". That has come true. The game spread and became professional after the World Cup, but look at the board. There are more than 260 SLC employees now. I don't know which direction our cricket is heading in.
:laugh:

Whenever we played Pakistan, I talked with Wasim Akram. He was a bit of a hero of mine. He taught me plenty, but when I asked him about reverse swing, he used to say: "I'll tell you about that later." I ended up learning reverse swing by watching videos.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaas' grip of reverse swing was different because he bowled it with a high arm, unlike Pakistani's. Latter had slinging actions. Even now other than for Malings, all other use Vaas' technique to get reverse swing, as none of them lower their arms to achieve it.

indiaholic

International Captain
Vaas' grip of reverse swing was different because he bowled it with a high arm, unlike Pakistani's. Latter had slinging actions. Even now other than for Malings, all other use Vaas' technique to get reverse swing, as none of them lower their arms to achieve it.
How does arm position impact reverse swing? I always assumed that the primary factor there was the difference in the speed of air over the smooth vs rough surface.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Chaminda Vaas: 'A bowler should be like a managing director of a company' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

In 1996, there were seven employees in the Sri Lankan cricket board. After we won the World Cup, I remember Roshan Mahanama saying: "This will be the start and the end for Sri Lankan cricket". That has come true. The game spread and became professional after the World Cup, but look at the board. There are more than 260 SLC employees now. I don't know which direction our cricket is heading in.
So true. Which is why it makes sense to streamline the ICC into a Big 3 instead of a Big 10.

smash84

The Tiger King
How does arm position impact reverse swing? I always assumed that the primary factor there was the difference in the speed of air over the smooth vs rough surface.
From what I gathered with people playing domestic cricket and with some of my own bowling experiences the more round armed your action that is your wrist coming directly over your shoulder (like old waqar, Imran etc as opposed to side arm like Malinga) the more chances that you will be able to reverse swing the ball. That was the conventional wisdom about reverse swing in Pakistan

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
nah I think that's just likely a consequence of a a slightly rounder arm action being slightly faster and offering a fuller trajectory and having the seam set up optimally for some people.

In particular a round arm gets a flatter trajectory on the full ball which means more swing.

Depends on the individual getting the best seam position though.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Just observe Waqar with new ball and old ball. Arm is noticeably lower. Pakistani bowlers get alarming dip on their yorkers (and so is Malinga). Vaas rarely had that kind of dip. He cleaned up people more on length rather than by the yorker when he got reverse swing.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I tried to Migara but I only found these, which doesn't look that different to me, though I think the 2nd picture has him arm marginally lower, which is the clip in which he's bowling reverse as opposed to the first where he's got the new ball.

Last edited: