• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhtar-Supreme Fast hotshot or Too much talk??

Is Akhtar a true Express?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Akhtar was pretty good when on song was pretty good 7-9 years back. He has had his brief (very brief) moments but has generally been below par through a spate of injuries and controversies. A waste of talent, if ever there was one.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Sorry to say looking at those videos, he doesnt seem nowhere nearly as quick as shoaib in his prime.
One of them he had been on his arse drinking beer for 6 months or however long and just come back and bowled 147kph+. He was clocked at over 160kph when he was playing, and I reckon he surely beat that pace in games, when he wasn't being clocked.

bagapath

International Captain
akhthar had great pace and aggression. wish he had more love for the game. could easily have been among the best fast bowlers of all time if he had wanted to be, like a wasim or a waqar. instead he wanted to be a superstar and sqaudered all the natural talent.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I reckon IMO,when he really loved bowling he was as good as anyone, when he was playing to prove a point or to prove that he is fit, he was average.

But I don't really understand him tbh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think his being a **** has led to his bowling being very underrated. There's very few bowlers with a record in the 2000s matching his. I would say he was a world-class player with the potential to be an all-time great.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think his being a **** has led to his bowling being very underrated. There's very few bowlers with a record in the 2000s matching his. I would say he was a world-class player with the potential to be an all-time great.
This. He was very quick indeed and could bowl a pretty mean swinging yorker, bouncer and slower ball. Good attributes for a quick bowler.

That said, if I played in the same team as him and I'd forgotten my box, I'd bat without one rather than borrow his :ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Both.

He has been a fast (lets forget 'supreme') bowling hot shot sometimes and is Too much talk all the time :)

shankar

International Debutant
This. He was very quick indeed and could bowl a pretty mean swinging yorker, bouncer and slower ball. Good attributes for a quick bowler.
Also in addition he was a pretty smart bowler as well contrary to what his actions off the field may indicate.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jeff Thomson may have been quicker and I dont care much but as a bowler I would take Akhtar ahead of him anyday.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeff Thomson may have been quicker and I dont care much but as a bowler I would take Akhtar ahead of him anyday.
Admittadly, I never saw Thommo live but Akhtar has to be up there with the quickest of all time, if not the quickest.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Admittadly, I never saw Thommo live but Akhtar has to be up there with the quickest of all time, if not the quickest.
I reckon that even when Akhtar wasn't in his prime form he was bowling 90MPH or around abouts every ball, aybe he is just exhausted? I can't see anyone doing that without getting tired once in a while.