• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajit Agarkar

nibbs

International Captain
Certain people on this forum, for some bizarre reason love this man? Why is this the case? Why is he so special? Was it something to do with the five ducks in a row?????????????????????????

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing to do with five ducks.

SEVEN on the trot against Australia - that's special and worthy of our utmost respect.

Have you ever had a pet puppy? (or a bunny - sob)

Did you love it?

There you go, then.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The real love affair (a bit like you and butcher's knives - are you practicing for the world 'knifeyspooney' championships?) with Ajit Agarkar goes all the way back to, er, last year and beyond.

Something to do with the fact that you NEVER know what to expect.

The seven successive ducks against Australia (3 pairs), the century at Lord's, fastest guy EVER to 50 wickets in odi's and the fact that he can be either devastating or insipid with the ball but NEVER in between.

He's a bit like a rare, tropical disease. For so long it is totally benign then it mutates and wipes out thousands of people (although in AA's case for 'wipes out' read 'hits' and for 'thousands of people' read either 'the ball' or 'the stumps').

Now back to those knives.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
WOW! Does Ajit use Butcher Knives?
He is the youngest-ever curator of the Mumbai Butcher Knife Museum.

His personal collection includes three of those large chopping ones with the big square blades. One of them is a priceless antique, thought to be over 700 years old (although it has had 5 new handles and 3 new blades, the little nut which holds the blade to the handle is thought to be original or second-generation at the outside).

Ajit's favourite is a tiny one with an ivory handle which doubles as a device for removing peanuts from horses hooves.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
One of them is a priceless antique, thought to be over 700 years old (although it has had 5 new handles and 3 new blades, the little nut which holds the blade to the handle is thought to be original or second-generation at the outside).

LOL :lol: - Ever so simple, yet rather amsuing!! :lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You weren't here when Agarkar was being lauded by some of our less rational Indian friends (sadly no longer posting regularly) as the best all-rounder in the world when he made that ton at Lord's last summer, were you?

That's where it all began :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It all stems from some of our long gone terrace friends.

After his Lords century, someone on her posted that he'd finally shown himself to be a true world class all-rounder.

After a great deal of discussion, he was adopted as a figurehead, and remained so until that blasted Duck came along...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
*sniff* what a magical story. the sort of thing you pass down to your grandchildren. i've never been so touched.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
*sniff* what a magical story. the sort of thing you pass down to your grandchildren. i've never been so touched.
Not many have been touched so :)

krkode

State Captain
Yeah, I've always had a great admiration for this man. He's really good (as evidenced by his 50 wickets in 23 games only) and he can go really low (seven in a row is a little too much).

And most of all, he's got class. Not necessarily form. But class, yes.

He knows how to take wickets and he takes 'em in style. He knows how to help a team win from 26 required off 14 balls. He knows how get out 7 times in a row for 0. It's classic. I learnt the philosophy from him - whatever you do, do it in style ;)

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, I remember the Australia tour to India 1998, he really bothered the likes of Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting and Michael Slater with his sharp, quick and aggressive (skiddy) bowling.

Ive certainly been dissapointed with his career after the World Cup. Injuries and a severe dent in confidence have turned his career upside down for the worst.

Fastest to 50 wickets with a bowling strike rate of about 21 was absoultely awesome, and deserves a mention, but things got worse from there. He is definitely not a mediocre player, just a horribly inconistent gem of a player.

He is a true enigma, a true contridiction, he is AA.

Craig

World Traveller
I know understand.

Next question,

What is Eddies love affair of Nicky de Groot? Or is it because he is hopeless?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I know understand.

Next question,

What is Eddies love affair of Nicky de Groot? Or is it because he is hopeless?
Read 'Devil Ducky's World Cup Essentials' and you'll discover why he's one of DD's favourites.