• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Freddie to retire after the Ashes

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have so much more respect if he gave up ODI and T20 cricket to play more Tests. But that doesn't seem to be the done thing any more.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I called this a couple of weeks back, sledger to confirm

Edit - I will be heartbroken, but at the same time I hope he goes out on a high. Love ya Freddie.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Tbh his body doesn't really work that way. He just can't last 5 days anymore regardless of how much one day cricket he does or does not play.

biased indian

International Coach
Would have so much more respect if he gave up ODI and T20 cricket to play more Tests. But that doesn't seem to be the done thing any more.
with the IPL contract that he has, surely he will play for some more time

but is the press conference already started they have not confirmed from which he is retiring though

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I will be heartbroken, but at the same time I hope he goes out on a high. Love ya Freddie.
This. If his teammates have any heart whatsoever they will do their utmost to make sure Freddie retires with a bang and with the little urn in his back pocket.

I remember in 2001 when Michael Atherton retired during that Ashes series during another hammering at the Oval. A shame that one of our best players had to walk off for one last time in the midst of another dire England performance.

bryce

International Regular
Wonder why? 4-10 overs max each day with rest days in between perhaps? :unsure:
Players understandably want to play for as long as they can, not suffer a career-ending injury as quickly as they can

pasag

RTDAS
Gutted but not suprised. Favourite English player and one of the true characters and rare talents in the game.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder why? 4-10 overs max each day with rest days in between perhaps? :unsure:
Players understandably want to play for as long as they can, not suffer a career-ending injury as quickly as they can
I'm aware of the mechanics of the different formats, thanks. I'm just nostalgic enough to wish that, given there are a lot fewer Tests played than limited-overs matches, he'd focus what's left of his energies and fitness on the longer form. It's apparently not the way things will go but that doesn't stop me being disappointed by it.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't really get why an announcement was necessary right now, seems a totally unnecessary distraction, leave it until the series is decided.

Shame he'll retire, but a sensible decision.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably done it to try and inspire the batsmen to not perform like brain dead gutless tossers. Doubt it'll work, but it's worth a go.

pasag

RTDAS
Don't really get why an announcement was necessary right now, seems a totally unnecessary distraction, leave it until the series is decided.

Shame he'll retire, but a sensible decision.
He probably thought it'd put an end some of the media commentary about his fitness, although from what I've seen it hasn't been that much.

Bloody hope it doesn't become a drawn out farewell tour like the end of the 06/07 Ashes or Steve Waugh's retirement where the cricket was overshadowed and it was all anyone talked about.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Interesting. He was never a great player but he is good, has heart and his performances from 2004 and 2005 are excellent.

I'm sick of players retiring from Test to play the shorter forms, would rather players retire from the shorter forms to play the Test matches. In some cases, possibly this one, that's just not possible, but for someone like Tendulkar, I really hope he follows that route because it's possible for him.

Scaly piscine

Interesting. He was never a great player but he is good, has heart and his performances from 2004 and 2005 are excellent.

I'm sick of players retiring from Test to play the shorter forms, would rather players retire from the shorter forms to play the Test matches. In some cases, possibly this one, that's just not possible, but for someone like Tendulkar, I really hope he follows that route because it's possible for him.
Yea had no choice here, when complete idiots like Strauss bowl him into the ground just for the sake of it. With a vaguely competent captain he might have been able to muddle through longer - using him as an occasional explosive 5th bowler instead of a workhorse soon to be on a cheesy commercial RSPCA advert.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea had no choice here, when complete idiots like Strauss bowl him into the ground just for the sake of it. With a vaguely competent captain he might have been able to muddle through longer - using him as an occasional explosive 5th bowler instead of a workhorse soon to be on a cheesy commercial RSPCA advert.
He's not a good enough batsmen to be used as an occasional bowler though, if he's in the team he has to pull his weight.

social

Wasnt Fred the captain when he bowled himself into the ground at Lords a few years ago and stuffed his ankle?