• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

C.L.R. James - The Black Cardus?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Just CLR James. I wouldn't call him the Black Cardus just like I wouldn't call Cardus the white CLR James.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Just CLR James. I wouldn't call him the Black Cardus just like I wouldn't call Cardus the white CLR James.
It was SJS who wanted that title. I'm sure he can give you some background as to why he choose it :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been having a hell of a time trying to get a copy of Beyond a Boundary.

bagapath

International Captain
It's a mind blowing book and will easily match the expectation one would have built up before turning the first page. Still remember most of the chapters in detail despite reading it only once several years ago.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was SJS who wanted that title. I'm sure he can give you some background as to why he choose it :)
The member would do well to read the article first. :)
If not at least give a second look to the very first line - the Title. It reads :

I can assure the member that the question mark is not a typographical error :)

The piece ends with these lines....

No CLRJ is no Cardus (and Headley was no Bradman) but then Cardus wasn't CLRJ either. So if by calling him the Black Cardus we are trying to show our respect for a great writer who also wrote of cricket and cricketers who am I to complain.

I don't think anything else needs to be said.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
I picked up a new paperback version in a chain bookshop in Brisbane, so I imagine it would be worth a shot in Sydney. They were also selling ' Corner of a foreign field' as well. Only $20 each.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
They sell it at Borders, here anyways.

Great stuff SJS. Beyond a Boundary is a book that stays with you for a long time. Have his A Majestic Innings: Writings on Cricket compilation as well which I'm yet to read.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
They sell it at Borders, here anyways.

Great stuff SJS. Beyond a Boundary is a book that stays with you for a long time. Have his A Majestic Innings: Writings on Cricket compilation as well which I'm yet to read.
A Majestic Innings is a fabulous read. The title comes from the chapter on Patil's innings against England I mentioned in my feature.

Its a bit of a problem that he has the same book published under the title of "Cricket" earlier. One could end up buying both - as I did :(

Its amazing how many cricket books are sold under two different titles with no warnings to unsuspecting buyers and if you buy them on the net, as I do, you could end up with a lot of duplicates.

For example, David Frith's "By His Own Hand" is also published as "Silence of the Heart" and Mallett's biography of Grimmett was first published as "Clarrie Grimmett - Bradman of Spin" and later re printed as "Scarlet"

It feels terrible if you end up with these duplicates.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ofcourse and While I read the excellent article where writer wanted to to know from his readers what they thought of the title and I basically answered the question put up by him and was not being critical at all.

The member would do well to read the article first. :)
If not at least give a second look to the very first line - the Title. It reads :
I can assure the member that the question mark is not a typographical error :)

The piece ends with these lines....
No CLRJ is no Cardus (and Headley was no Bradman) but then Cardus wasn't CLRJ either. So if by calling him the Black Cardus we are trying to show our respect for a great writer who also wrote of cricket and cricketers who am I to complain.
I don't think anything else needs to be said.
I did read the article SJS and answered the question which was more or less in agreement with your ending statement.

shivfan

Banned
It is important to remember that while Cardus made his name writing about English cricket, CLR James was already renowned as a great historian before he wrote 'Beyond the BOundary'. James's ground-breaking history of the Haitian Revolution, 'Black Jacobins', changed the way historians looked at the developments in Haiti.

Prior to James, most historians explained away the success of the Haitian Revolution by chronicling the list of blunders committed by the French and British armies that invaded the country, to fight the slave armies. James collected evidence to show that Toussaint was a brilliant general who outmanoeuvred and defeated the French and British, and deserved recognition for these achievements. Also, before James, historians just spoke about the atrocities committed by revolting slaves, but ignored the atrocities committed by the French occupiers and the planters. James presented a much more balanced picture, and since his study, the approach to the history of Haiti has been much more objective.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Great article SJS. I have located a copy of Beyond a Boundary and put it on my wishlist to buy on a day I'm not completely broke. Cheers.

bagapath

International Captain
Great article SJS. I have located a copy of Beyond a Boundary and put it on my wishlist to buy on a day I'm not completely broke. Cheers.
In India, and I am dead sure in UK, Aus, NZ, Pak, SL, SA, Ban, WI and Zim too, it is available in most libraries in metro cities. Try the British Council library in your city. It should be there.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
In India, and I am dead sure in UK, Aus, NZ, Pak, SL, SA, Ban, WI and Zim too, it is available in most libraries in metro cities. Try the British Council library in your city. It should be there.
We don't have many of those in America unless I'm mistaken...

bagapath

International Captain
We don't have many of those in America unless I'm mistaken...
I found quite a few cricket books in the county library in gainesville when i went to grad school in univ of florida. though i dont remember seeing this particular book, i realized a county library is always a good starting point. also, if you are a univ student there is a very strong possibility that it would be available in your univ library. it is good enough to be used for socio-political-cultural studies at college level.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Will have to look into this then. There are a couple of libraries worth checking out 10 minutes from where I live, a college one and a city library (although I owe them quite a bit of money in fines). Will eventually end up buying it though, bad habit of mine to buy books I've read (except the real ****ty ones).

Anyway, cheers.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Beyond a Boundary by CLR James has always been available in US (It is still there on amazon for about 20 USD.