• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian slips cordon

Jakester1288

International Regular
These days the Australian slips cordon is terrible, especially compared to previous cordons. You had Taylor, the Waugh brothers, Hayden, Warne etc. Now we have Clarke in first slip, Ponting in second (who is good) and whoever in third when we use it (didn't pay much attention during this test).

How good was it when we had an off side field of

Slips - Hayden, Ponting, Warne
Gully - Hussey
Point - Clarke
Covers - Symonds

Now the Australian side isn't as good in the fielding aspect of the game, as well as batting and bowling, compared to previous years.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i have to admit i am dissapointed that Clarke is no longer around the field. His ground fielding and throwing, particularly inside the circle is up there with the best.

Andre

International Regular
How good was it when we had an off side field of

Slips - Hayden, Ponting, Warne
Gully - Hussey
Point - Clarke
Covers - Symonds

Now the Australian side isn't as good in the fielding aspect of the game, as well as batting and bowling, compared to previous years.
The above slip cordon isn't a patch on the cordon in the 1990's. Mark Taylor at first, Mark Waugh at second, Shane Warne at third would be one of the all-time great 1-2-3 combinations. As well as S Waugh in the gully, David Boon, Greg Blewett or Justin Langer at bat-pad and blokes like Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, Michael Slater at point/covers/outfield depending on who was in the side at the given time was an incredible fielding set up.

Mark Waugh the best slip fielder (and catcher) off all time IMO. Now THAT was an incredible cordon.

Jakester1288

International Regular
The above slip cordon isn't a patch on the cordon in the 1990's. Mark Taylor at first, Mark Waugh at second, Shane Warne at third would be one of the all-time great 1-2-3 combinations. As well as S Waugh in the gully, David Boon, Greg Blewett or Justin Langer at bat-pad and blokes like Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, Michael Slater at point/covers/outfield depending on who was in the side at the given time was an incredible fielding set up.

Mark Waugh the best slip fielder (and catcher) off all time IMO. Now THAT was an incredible cordon.
I touched on that in the opening post of this thread.

You had Taylor, the Waugh brothers, Hayden, Warne etc.
I didn't start following cricket until around the 2005 Ashes (they are my earliest memories of cricket) but I have read and watched lots of cricket from before then, so I know how truly great this cordon really was.

Andre

International Regular
I touched on that in the opening post of this thread.

I didn't start following cricket until around the 2005 Ashes (they are my earliest memories of cricket) but I have read and watched lots of cricket from before then, so I know how truly great this cordon really was.
Cool story Hansel.

Anyway, more what I was getting at was discussing the cordon of the 1990's, because even though you touched on it, you emphasised the off side field that is inferior to that of the earlier cordon (Bar Symonds and Clarke you wouldn't swap the fielders).