Thread: Australian slips cordon

International Regular

Australian slips cordon

These days the Australian slips cordon is terrible, especially compared to previous cordons. You had Taylor, the Waugh brothers, Hayden, Warne etc. Now we have Clarke in first slip, Ponting in second (who is good) and whoever in third when we use it (didn't pay much attention during this test).

How good was it when we had an off side field of

Slips - Hayden, Ponting, Warne
    Gully - Hussey
    Point - Clarke
    Covers - Symonds

Now the Australian side isn't as good in the fielding aspect of the game, as well as batting and bowling, compared to previous years.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Yeah i have to admit i am dissapointed that Clarke is no longer around the field. His ground fielding and throwing, particularly inside the circle is up there with the best.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    How good was it when we had an off side field of

Slips - Hayden, Ponting, Warne
    Gully - Hussey
    Point - Clarke
    Covers - Symonds

Now the Australian side isn't as good in the fielding aspect of the game, as well as batting and bowling, compared to previous years.
    The above slip cordon isn't a patch on the cordon in the 1990's. Mark Taylor at first, Mark Waugh at second, Shane Warne at third would be one of the all-time great 1-2-3 combinations. As well as S Waugh in the gully, David Boon, Greg Blewett or Justin Langer at bat-pad and blokes like Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, Michael Slater at point/covers/outfield depending on who was in the side at the given time was an incredible fielding set up.

Mark Waugh the best slip fielder (and catcher) off all time IMO. Now THAT was an incredible cordon.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The above slip cordon isn't a patch on the cordon in the 1990's. Mark Taylor at first, Mark Waugh at second, Shane Warne at third would be one of the all-time great 1-2-3 combinations. As well as S Waugh in the gully, David Boon, Greg Blewett or Justin Langer at bat-pad and blokes like Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, Michael Slater at point/covers/outfield depending on who was in the side at the given time was an incredible fielding set up.

Mark Waugh the best slip fielder (and catcher) off all time IMO. Now THAT was an incredible cordon.
    I touched on that in the opening post of this thread.

You had Taylor, the Waugh brothers, Hayden, Warne etc.
    I didn't start following cricket until around the 2005 Ashes (they are my earliest memories of cricket) but I have read and watched lots of cricket from before then, so I know how truly great this cordon really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    I touched on that in the opening post of this thread.

I didn't start following cricket until around the 2005 Ashes (they are my earliest memories of cricket) but I have read and watched lots of cricket from before then, so I know how truly great this cordon really was.
    Cool story Hansel.

Anyway, more what I was getting at was discussing the cordon of the 1990's, because even though you touched on it, you emphasised the off side field that is inferior to that of the earlier cordon (Bar Symonds and Clarke you wouldn't swap the fielders).

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Cool story Hansel.

Thread Information