• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to improve test cricket

Jakester1288

International Regular
Took this idea from another forum.

If you could make changes to test cricket, what would you do?

A few of mine:

* Use the lights - When the light is dark and there is a few overs to get through that would be possible to finish use the lights if they are available for half an hour or an hour or so
* Unlimited bouncers - Limits on bouncers are not necessary. I made a thread on this once
* Better pitches - Not overly fussed about this, as long as we have a pitch that offers something and is likely to get a result, it's better
* Over rates - Crack down and fine (or take other measures if necessary) to get the overs in

Just whatever happens, don't shorten the format or do any of the other stupid drastic measures we have heard of before.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Open up a window for relagation/promotion, plus probably some kind of prize for being the best test nation over a given period of time. Would give everyone reson to try win.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The pitches thing is crucial. Apart from that, it can stay how it is as far as I'm concerned. The over rates thing is only an issue if teams are running out of time due to crap pitches.

morgieb

Promotion/relegation, a WTC, better pitches and day/night tests would be nice.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Sure, unlimited bouncers, if regulations are enforced to ensure that they are used positively and not negatively. That's surely the reasoning behind the present limit on bouncers.

Chubb

International Regular
I'd have a lot less test matches. One home series of five tests or two of three tests and one away series per country per season. Make it a rare and special event to play a test match.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Definitely making pitches that helps the bowlers more is the most important for mine. Out of all the issues that people like to complain about (umpires, day night tests, bouncer regulations etc) this is really the only thing that actually makes test cricket genuinly boring to watch at times IMO. Apart from that there's not really any major issues that need to be adressed.

luffy

International Captain
Relegation/promotion?

What the **** have you been smoking?

And adruid, you say teams would compete in order to get a prize...? Cause they don't care about winning now do they? ****.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Agree with all but one of these suggested 'improvements'. The availability of unlimited bouncers in an over may become an issue if exploited and not kept under check. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Allowing bowlers to use cricket balls of their choice like batsmen are allowed to use bats of their choice. There is no logic behind the restrictions on the bowlers tools. Let the quicks do whatever they want to with the seam with their fingers, and let the spinners walk onto the field with a pre prepared old ball of their own.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Relegation/promotion?

What the **** have you been smoking?

And adruid, you say teams would compete in order to get a prize...? Cause they don't care about winning now do they? ****.
You do realize that as it stands Bangladesh can afford continue being sh*** for all eternity and still keep their test status.

Just a case in point.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Using Hawkeye for challenged LBW's, and put it on the big screen. Tennis has benefited loads from Hawkeye becoming available. There is tension that builds up on the replay, would work at the ground well.

I had another idea before I came to this thread and forgot it.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How to improve Test cricket?

A good start could be to undo all that has been done in the last three quarters of a century to "improve " it :dry:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Allowing bowlers to use cricket balls of their choice like batsmen are allowed to use bats of their choice. There is no logic behind the restrictions on the bowlers tools. Let the quicks do whatever they want to with the seam with their fingers, and let the spinners walk onto the field with a pre prepared old ball of their own.
:laugh:

That'd get interesting. I think the argument would be that bats don't have quite the impact on the game 5 or six different balls would.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

That'd get interesting. I think the argument would be that bats don't have quite the impact on the game 5 or six different balls would.
Just give them two piece balls (instead of four piece ones as cricket has been using) and watch the fun :)

Burgey

Just give them two piece balls (instead of four piece ones as cricket has been using) and watch the fun :)
Not abad idea actually, given the roads they play on.

Imagine Waqar Younis with a two piece ball.