• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old School England Cricket Sweater

maverickgoose

Cricket Spectator
Lo all,

Does anyone have any idea where I can find one of these sweaters? Not so up for the modern nylon stuff covered in sponsors' logos.

http://nonstriker.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/botham13.jpg

Tried looking all over and have asked some of the big Cricket shops on Ebay but no joy. I know they're probably not made anymore (since the ECB decided that such jerseys didn't fit in with their policy of 'modernising' Test cricket), but if anyone can shed some light would be appreciated.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
I would imagine a 'traditional' store like Marks & Spencer would be a good bet. Waste of time trying sports shops, they just want to flog you £100 trainers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Are you able to buy England sweaters like that? Or are you looking just for the old style sweater? If so, you need to get yourself a good grandma!

maverickgoose

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the responses guys - yeah was looking for the England sweater. Would prefer something to keep me warm while supporting England given the vagaries of our summer months!

I know the ECB stupidly banned these a year or two ago in the name of "modernisation" which is why I was wondering if they were still being made anywhere.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Geez, I'm surprised that they're for sale. Pretty sure that they don't sell any of the Test related stuff as merchandise over here. I know they didn't use to, hope they still don't.

stumpski

International Captain
Alec Stewart always used to say he wasn't in favour of people wearing England kit who hadn't earned it, which is fair enough I think. Obviously there are shirts, hats etc for supporters, but they're not the same thing at all.

maverickgoose

Cricket Spectator
Sorry guys I don't understand this:

"Obviously there are shirts, hats etc for supporters, but they're not the same thing at all."

You can buy all the latest Test Kit on the ECB's website here:

adidas England Ashes Cricket Shirt | Adidas England Cricket Test Shirt 2008/10 | Adidas England Test Cricket Kit | England Ashes Test Shirt

However, I don't like it as it is thin nylon stuff covered in Sponsor logos.

Which is why I wanted to get a simple England wool sweater. Warmth and show my support.

I totally agree with not selling the proper Cap (England Blue, Baggy Green etc) as it is representative of having actually played for your country.

Surely a sweater is different. Especially considering you can buy the modern stuff which is all nylon cheap tat.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Geez, I'm surprised that they're for sale. Pretty sure that they don't sell any of the Test related stuff as merchandise over here. I know they didn't use to, hope they still don't.
Am sitting here wearing the Test top tbh

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The old-style sweaters were never for sale. You may find an ex-player's one on Ebay or at an auction.