• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'I speak from the heart, not from the head'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Really enjoyed that. Puts Sunny in a much better light than I probably envisaged him in before.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i have always believed that technique has never been a huge part of sport. Temperament is your no. 1 thing. You could have the best technique in the world, but if your temperament is bad, you'll be nowhere. While if the temperament is good and you don't have great technique, you will be able to do well. You have the ability inside you which makes you hang in there, makes you go on. That's what separates the men from the boys.

So does approach, upbringing and the attitude towards the game. The difference in the style that you see from the 1950s, 60s or 70s is the upbringing. In those days [you were told] not to hit the ball in the air, not to take risks. Coaches today encourage youngsters to play aerial shots or unorthodox shots, try different things. That is what has made the game so attractive.
awta.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
IMO He is the greatest cricketer from India and one can always count on him to be the voice of Indian cricket. To me, He has always come across as someone who speaks from his heart. It is also heartening to read his views on T20 cricket.

Happy Birthday to Gavaskar.

Xuhaib

International Coach
IMO He is the greatest cricketer from India and one can always count on him to be the voice of Indian cricket. To me, He has always come across as someone who speaks from his heart. It is also heartening to read his views on T20 cricket.

Happy Birthday to Gavaskar.
Nah!

Burgey

Didn't read it. Does he discuss what was in his heart when he wrote about the people in the West Indies in his book those years ago?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
A guy that posted from this article pretty much sums things up about Gavaskar:

The reason why Gavaskar will never for me be in the same class as Kapil Dev, Viswanath, Tendulkar and Kumble is that he was never a selfless cricketer as the others. I grew up following Gavaskar's career in the late 70s onwards and I had read his great exploits in the early 70s in the Windies and in England. I loved his copybook style, his concentration and his ambition. However, he was a selfish, petulant and small-minded cricketer which blazes in comparison to people like the exalted company in my first sentence. We all know the near walk-off in Australia, the go-slow in the 75 World Cup, the sweeping under the covers of extremely talented men like Sadanand Viswanath and Dilip Doshi and who knows how many more. What is typically nasty of Gavaskar was his batting left-handed in the Ranji Trophy match against Karnataka in the 2nd innings after it was certain that Bombay had been whipped. One with some dignity and class will not insult his peers in this way. I could go on and on....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar has always been very transparent. You can read him like a book. All you need to do is ignore whatever he says and concentrate just on what he does :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Didn't read it. Does he discuss what was in his heart when he wrote about the people in the West Indies in his book those years ago?
Gets way too much flack for it in my opinion but that is just that - my opinion.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't take long for people to bring it up again, did it ? Burgey's cheap attempt to derail this thread along with SJS who once again can't let go of his own bias, not even in this thread and infact having read his views about Gavaskar on this forum, the article written by him sounds so hypocritical and Hollow.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Didn't take long for people to bring it up again, did it ? Burgey's cheap attempt to derail this thread along with SJS who once again can't let go of his own bias, not even in this thread and infact having read his views about Gavaskar on this forum, the article written by him sounds so hypocritical and Hollow.
:whistling:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't it widely reported that Kapil Dev prolonged his career to break Hadlee's record ? While Gavaskar was not perfect as a player, he probably did a lot of things wrong(some he even admits in the interview) but some of the stuff said in the quoted para seems like that individual was talking out of his ass.

Uppercut

Now you're just trolling. And unnecessarily attacking posters for perfectly good posts.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
OMG, Sledger's Army is back at the slightest opportunity to have a go at me. Go and report me. Not a single post on the thread topic yet though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.