• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL hurting the international game

James

Cricket Web Owner
Cricket: Black Caps delay signing contracts - Sport - NZ Herald News

The Herald understands Brendon McCullum and Jacob Oram are among a group of senior Black Caps who have yet to sign their New Zealand Cricket central contracts because of concerns next year's inbound Australia tour may clash with the lucrative IPL.
It's a real shame if that report is right, and playing in the IPL is more important than playing for the Black Caps.

I guess the real question is - is playing for your country no longer the ultimate?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When you consider how little Test cricket NZ play, it's not that surprising I reckon. Can't blame them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Bond did every thing right, wanted to play for his country, was allowed by ICL to play for NZ, look where it took him. What did his country do for him ? NOTHING.

McCullum and Oram are professional cricketers who play for NZ Cricket Board whhich is recognized by ICC and not by NZ government. If there is another format of cricket that can provide better financial security, by all means they should be allowed to pursue their path without being attacked and without questions being raised about their patriotism.

Who are we to decide about what McCullum and Oram should do with their cricket and how much money is enough for them ?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Shane Bond did every thing right, wanted to play for his country, was allowed by ICL to play for NZ, look where it took him. What did his country do for him ? NOTHING.

McCullum and Oram are professional cricketers who play for NZ Cricket Board whhich is recognized by ICC and not by NZ government. If there is another format of cricket that can provide better financial security, by all means they should be allowed to pursue their path without being attacked and without questions being raised about their patriotism.

Who are we to decide about what McCullum and Oram should do with their cricket and how much money is enough for them ?
I've got nothing against the players for choosing IPL over International cricket. I'd probably do the same thing in their position.

Where I'm coming from is it's a shame that the modern game has gone in this direction where a form of domestic cricket gets higher bidding over international cricket and it's scary where it's going to go next.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It is inevitable, as soon as we allowed cricketers to chose cricket as profession, it was going to happen. The best thing would be to reduce the no. of ODIs, create a window for IPL and that would keep everyone happy.

pup11

International Coach
Cricket: Black Caps delay signing contracts - Sport - NZ Herald News

It's a real shame if that report is right, and playing in the IPL is more important than playing for the Black Caps.

I guess the real question is - is playing for your country no longer the ultimate?
I don't think there is any point in looking at this matter with an emotional perspective in mind, players are pretty practical nowadays, they are professionals, and they main reason they are playing a professional sport is to make money out of it.

Obviously when they see that they are likely to earn more money out of six week's work compared to what they are likely earn from a annual central contract with their board, its really not difficult to see why they want to play in the IPL, instead of playing for their own country.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
James, its a shame you're running a private website instead of working for one run by your government for your country.

Please don't ban me.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It is inevitable, as soon as we allowed cricketers to chose cricket as profession, it was going to happen. The best thing would be to reduce the no. of ODIs, create a window for IPL and that would keep everyone happy.
Definately - that would solve the problem. Reducing the amount of the ODIs and other series and saying specific months are for the IPL and other global domestic tournaments and international cricket not being played at all during that time would work well.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don't think there is any point in looking at this matter with an emotional perspective in mind, players are pretty practical nowadays, they are professionals, and they main reason they are playing a professional sport is to make money out of it.

Obviously when they see that they are likely to earn more money out of six week's work compared to what they are likely earn from a annual central contract with their board, its really not difficult to see why they want to play in the IPL, instead of playing for their own country.
There's a happy medium there though, and if the ICC, BCCI, etc come and work together and decide on a block-out of certain months for the IPL, you could accomodate both without any cause for problems at all as Sanz suggested.

All I'm saying is, it's a shame where players are forced to choose between IPL and international cricket as it makes it fuzzy in the general publics eyes about the importance of them both.

I'd compare it to if the English Premier League football was scheduled at the same time as international qualifying for the Euro's say. Players are then placed in a difficult position about whether to align themselves to their club or country. It's the same situtation with the IPL and international cricket IMO.

James, its a shame you're running a private website instead of working for one run by your government for your country.
Haha, speaking from a pure CW prespective, it's very interesting to look at visitor number across the IPL, T20 WC, and now the Ashes and compare.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Sure they can pick to play for whoever they like, but I'll still rate Gillespie-thrower, Papps and other failure higher than them if they sell out.

AaronK

State Regular
Ya.. i couldn't agree anymore..I have never supported ICL and IPL (didn't watch a single match of IPL this year and i will never watch one again) and i won't support any other upcoming league that would force players to choose them over their countries..I am glad to see ICL going down the toilate and i can't wait to see IPL going there too..

players need rests., i know they are athlates but they are human beings.. all these travels and the tention and pressure that comes with every game..burn them out.. IPL is an extra pressure on the players and this pressure could really influance their international games..

pup11

International Coach
There's a happy medium there though, and if the ICC, BCCI, etc come and work together and decide on a block-out of certain months for the IPL, you could accomodate both without any cause for problems at all as Sanz suggested.

All I'm saying is, it's a shame where players are forced to choose between IPL and international cricket as it makes it fuzzy in the general publics eyes about the importance of them both.

I'd compare it to if the English Premier League football was scheduled at the same time as international qualifying for the Euro's say. Players are then placed in a difficult position about whether to align themselves to their club or country. It's the same situtation with the IPL and international cricket IMO.

I think the situation with soccer is completely different, in comparison to club football international soccer is pretty much second priority to many players, and FIFA too has realised this a long time ago, and therefore adjusted its tournaments and schedules keeping the leagues around the world and their durations and schedules in mind.

ICC on the other hand unlike FIFA, is a good for nothing governing body, who are basically controlled by the most infletual member board, which is BCCI nowadays (and they apparently don't want a window in FTP for the IPL), so therefore its pretty futile to expect them to make good timely changes in this matter.

brockley

International Captain
We haven't had this problem in australia in fact some of the players chose to skip the IPl,defnitely poor behaviour by the nz players.
A series is in april we expect it to be honoured.
IPL in march april next year,ipl will clash with the domestix season this year,do state sides have to release players for IPL.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
brockley's posts on anything to do with NZ cricket are ****ing tiresome. Sure, you don't have this problem - remind me again how Shaun Tait got completely and utterly shafted by the ACB in regards to the IPL?