• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL hurting the international game

brockley

International Captain
Good point by dylan cleaver,the ipl can't force the nzcb and cricket australia to pressure them to name itinneris now.
Player power gone overboard.
The specific case of oram raised he cartainly an ipl junkie could see him playing for the ipl over representing his country.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
We might leave 1/2 players out of a one day side not 7/8 and we would never leave 7/8 players out of a test match between nz and aust.
Course you wouldn't - instead, you refused to play tests against us for 30 ****ing years. How's that for cordial trans-Tasman relations?

brockley

International Captain
Something like this is something which could make things thaw between cricket australia and the nzcb,nz already pulled out of the spl,to let ipl players take precedence over a series between the 2 countries,things will thaw further maybe no more chappell hadlee trophy,remember cricket australia is a big cash cow the nzcb is not.
The nzcb is showing a lack of spine here,they should demand their players sign contracts and commit to the australia series.
IPL was never meant to effect international cricket,it takes precedence over IPL.
Keep going this way could be a further 30 years.:laugh:

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
I can see what his saying tbh. NZC should just tell them to shut up and sign there contracts. I'm guessing one of the guys is Oram and I can see why, he will be lucky to get a contract in the IPL after this one. This is one of the biggest tours in ages, the players should be focusing on this not the IPL.

99*

International Debutant
maybe no more chappell hadlee trophy,remember cricket australia is a big cash cow the nzcb is not.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: (sorry Matt)

The nzcb is showing a lack of spine here,they should demand their players sign contracts and commit to the australia series.
And if they don't? What? We ban them, and lose two players from ever playing for us again? Great just the image NZC needs, play for us for **** all money or you can **** off to India for six weeks and make millions. It'll look just like our rugby system except we'll run out of quality players within the decade.

brockley

International Captain
ICC may need to intervene in the impasse,this seems a rebellion against the nzcb and the icc.
Wonder if modi behind this,he did play his part in srilanka not agreeing to tour england.
Maybe the nz aust series may get cancelled because of ipl,see modi's grubby hands all over this.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I have argued all this before. Lets just say the reason why the IPL is hurting the international game, is because the ICC as a governing body is disgrace.

Just hope that West Indies players in their current debacle dont make a IPL exodus...

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
ICC let ipl get out of control,gale no warm ups to england tour hopeless,kiwis play ipl before tour to england hopeless,this is really destablising international cricket.
Look at australias position
1 we are looking at having a weakened windies team tour australia
2 a weakened kiwi team play a series against us.
Cricket australia stands to lose a bucket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ICC let ipl get out of control,gale no warm ups to england tour hopeless,kiwis play ipl before tour to england hopeless,this is really destablising international cricket.
Look at australias position
1 we are looking at having a weakened windies team tour australia
2 a weakened kiwi team play a series against us.
Cricket australia stands to lose a bucket.
Indeed. Well you gotta say in some ways even if the ICC was proper governing body, this problem with the WI players & the board may have still occured, just like the Kolpak situation in SA.

But now the fact that the WI big players could just go the IPL is potentially devastating, because they are putting together a decent team again.

Howsie

International Captain
I doubt very much that the Windies players would hope of to the IPL, the ICC may be useless but they wouldn't be that stupid. Guys from the ICL would be all over them, Bond for example would be pissed because he missed two years of cricket where he was actually fit.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt very much that the Windies players would hope of to the IPL, the ICC may be useless but they wouldn't be that stupid.
Well technically they can't go/retire into the IPL, because the IPL has NOC contracts, which says players have to be retired for two years at least from international cricket. Before they sign up.

So thats one smart thing the flat ICC did with the IPL.

But they can contract themselves to play in a various domestic T20 competitions around the world.

Guys from the ICL would be all over them, Bond for example would be pissed because he missed two years of cricket where he was actually fit.
I dont quite follow here.

Based on what i think you are saying, even if ICL players blast the WI players for abandoning their national side. It wont make a difference.

If you are saying ICL executives/heads may want to allow them to play in that league, i don't think they cant. Since the ICL is basically finished now.

On Bond, his reasons for not playing for NZ is a very different to what could happen to WI stars ATM also.

brockley

International Captain
A nz team without its best 7/8 players for the australia series will be a disaster for the nzcb will be a disaster no one will go and no one will watch,sponsors will be unhappy aussies will obliterate them.
NZCB has to come down hard this is a rebeliion against them.
IPL destroyed thw indies team players pick and choose already.

Pigeon

Banned
Blame county cricket also as one of NZ's promising batsman Marshall chucked his NZ career to move to Bristol

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IPL destroyed thw indies team players pick and choose already.
And there was me thinking that the West Indies problems were due to the board not agreeing contracts with the players. In fact, not many of the originally selected West Indies side have played IPL have they, so how is that the IPL's fault? 8-)

Shri

Mr. Glass
How hard is it to just make a window for the damn thing and make everyone happy? The ICC is/has been hurting the international game for a long time more than any individual country imo.They just have a habit of sucking up to countries that are financially powerful in the game. Its just that they are now sucking up to the BCCI. I am not saying that the BCCI are a group of saints btw.