• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL hurting the international game

brockley

International Captain
Problems start when the srilankan and england agreed to a 2 test series in may,fully flagged by the icc,a player rebellion incurred ranatgunga was sacked and the srilankan board back down and the series cancelled.Modi remained silent throughout the whole period as did the icc,this is where this whole mess started.
The bcci let it be known they wanted ranatunga sacked,and he was sacked.
Sadly this player power thingy will happen again.
As far as i know the nz aust series,moved down to 2 tests,their is deliberation between the nzb and CA about when it will be played,but their are rumours floating around the chappell hadlee series will be chopped.Could become the next casualty of the IPL.

Polo23

International Debutant
Packer era?

Everytime a sports person is offered a lot of money for less work, they will take the oppurtunity without missing a heartbeat. And why shouldn't they?
Everyone is missing my point completely. I'm not saying players won't go for the money or that they shouldn't. I'm simply saying that because they WILL go for the money it is test cricket that will suffer.

Polo23

International Debutant
Ridiculous. You talk as if NZ cricket was brimming with talent before the IPL came along. Wake up and smell the cappuccino.
What are you talking about? What has the IPL done for talent in NZ? The IPL has been running for 2 years so any cricketer that has been influenced by it in our domestic scene would have had to already been playing a very high level of cricket.

And you think what I am saying is ridiculous :laugh:

Pigeon

Banned
Problems start when the srilankan and england agreed to a 2 test series in may,fully flagged by the icc,a player rebellion incurred ranatgunga was sacked and the srilankan board back down and the series cancelled.Modi remained silent throughout the whole period as did the icc,this is where this whole mess started.
The bcci let it be known they wanted ranatunga sacked,and he was sacked.
Sadly this player power thingy will happen again.
As far as i know the nz aust series,moved down to 2 tests,their is deliberation between the nzb and CA about when it will be played,but their are rumours floating around the chappell hadlee series will be chopped.Could become the next casualty of the IPL.
To be fair to the Lankans and the IPL, the Eng - SL series was finalised in a hurry following some short sighted late decision making by the ECB. The entire purpose of that 2 test series was not to "celebrate" test cricket but to honor a TV contract. The IPL had already been scheduled and signed on to by the players prior to that.

Pigeon

Banned
What are you talking about? What has the IPL done for talent in NZ? The IPL has been running for 2 years so any cricketer that has been influenced by it in our domestic scene would have had to already been playing a very high level of cricket.

And you think what I am saying is ridiculous :laugh:
Did I say IPL did something great for NZ talent pool? Perhaps not directly. Perhaps by giving motivation for guys who are gifted but would have opted for other careers because of the **** wages NZ Board pays them. Well, atleast that is a better scenario than what used be.

Pigeon

Banned
Everyone is missing my point completely. I'm not saying players won't go for the money or that they shouldn't. I'm simply saying that because they WILL go for the money it is test cricket that will suffer.
Test cricket, then, is a luxury cricket can no longer afford in that case. T20s will not decimate test cricket if allowed to exist in a practical manner. If allowed to occupy the place of redundant ODIs, T20s will bring in more money which can be used to fund test cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
Test cricket, then, is a luxury cricket can no longer afford in that case. T20s will not decimate test cricket if allowed to exist in a practical manner. If allowed to occupy the place of redundant ODIs, T20s will bring in more money which can be used to fund test cricket.
Ooooh, brave man going there. :p

Tbh, whilst I prefer ODIs to 20/20, if ODIs need to go to avoid all hell breaking loose, then so be it. Get it done yesterday ICC.

Flem274*

123/5
Did I say IPL did something great for NZ talent pool? Perhaps not directly. Perhaps by giving motivation for guys who are gifted but would have opted for other careers because of the **** wages NZ Board pays them. Well, atleast that is a better scenario than what used be.
Tbh, if things keep going downhill, then the next generation, if there's more of them, won't expanding NZs talent pool, they'll be expanding the Random Corporate Franchise Money Whore talent pool.

Atm from a purely NZ point of view, we're fine. The current crop are all mostly young, gun, and want to play for NZ. The next generation below them are all pretty promising so far too in their domestic results and desire to play for NZ. Its the guys making domestic debuts over the next few years I'm a bit worried about.

Pigeon

Banned
Ooooh, brave man going there. :p

Tbh, whilst I prefer ODIs to 20/20, if ODIs need to go to avoid all hell breaking loose, then so be it. Get it done yesterday ICC.
I am being just practical. Nobody can pump in money to a perennially losing venture for long without external assistance. I love tests the most, but unfortunately it cannot survive on funds generated by itself. T20s can, and ICC actually can ensure revenue that it gets from a Champions Trophy or perhaps even the World Cup, by imposing a royalty from the IPL and in return allow it it's own place in the International Calendar. By this both the Board and the players are in a win-win situation.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
**** wages?

How many other sports in New Zealand pay more then cricket, I can only think of rugby. Plus how many cricketers decide to play rugby over cricket these days, half the NZ team were excellent rugby players and they chose cricket.

Get you're facts right buddy :laugh:

Pigeon

Banned
**** wages?

How many other sports in New Zealand pay more then cricket, I can only think of rugby. Plus how many cricketers decide to play rugby over cricket these days, half the NZ team were excellent rugby players and they chose cricket.

Get you're facts right buddy :laugh:
Who said Rugby is the competition for Cricket? :laugh: When I meant alternative careers, I did not limit it to sports only.

Bronx

Cricket Spectator
Who said Rugby is the competition for Cricket? :laugh: When I meant alternative careers, I did not limit it to sports only.
You made it sound like NZ cricketers were paid penuts. Compared to other sports it's well ahead.

And what kind of person would not want to play cricket for a living, I know there would be a few but if a person was really that good I'm sure they would rather stick with that then go and get a office job for example.

Flem274*

123/5
Competitive sport of any kind or accountant? Competitive sport or accountant? Competiti..no definitely accountant obviously. :p