• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question.

Benaud

Banned
Why is it that the names on the back of players shirts (usually just subcontinental teams) are often spelt wrong. Ie Umer instead of Umar, Younus instead of Younis, plenty of others I just can't recall. Is it because of simple printing errors or what? Also how come some players put their first name on their back and others their surname?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not too sure of the answer. Reminds me of the humorous names used in video games to avoid licensing issues; eg Ricky Pointing, Shane Wayne, Chris Carlins.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Presume it's because they are translated from languages that don't use the Latin alphabet, so there's usually no standard translation.

Edit: as above

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
For the Pakistani's name errors... they are not actually spelling errors, it's actually how they are spelt but for some reason they spell it differently. Muralitharan's name is actually spelt Muralidaran, Jayawardene is actually spelt Jayawardena and Younis Khan is actually Younus Khan. They've all admitted in interviews.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yup, as others have stated there can be different ways to spell the same name. There are many ways to spell Mohammad/Muhammad for example.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The weirdest one was Dutch quick bowler Andre van Troost whose first name was universally reported as Adrianus for a couple of years before he told the media that this wasn't actually what he was called.

And then there's Pakistan's Abdur Razzaq who's now known as Abdul. Does anyone know whether this was a simple transliteration thingy, or has he changed his name, or was it just an error along the lines of van Troost?

stumpski

International Captain
Aaqib Javed lost one of his 'a's at some point, IIRC.

While Liaqat Ali acquired a 'u.'

stumpski

International Captain
Also, when the New York Times reported on the Lahore attacks they referred to Umar Gul as 'Omar.' Is this a variation common in North America? Never seen that anywhere else.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Aaqib Javed lost one of his 'a's at some point, IIRC.
Indeed he did.

Without checking, what else do you know about Liaq(u)at Ali? Apart from the fact that he was a mediocre Pakistan LFM bowler, I know just one thing about him - and I expect it's his only claim to fame.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not strictly cricket, but rather Dutch: one that gets me is how Dutch persons end up with Anglicised versions of their names used like Cruyff (Cruijff) or van Nistelrooy (Nistelrooij).

I presume the "ij" approximates the English "y" sound, but it always strikes me as rather Anglocentric as Dutch lettering is similarly latin based.

stumpski

International Captain
Indeed he did.

Without checking, what else do you know about Liaq(u)at Ali? Apart from the fact that he was a mediocre Pakistan LFM bowler, I know just one thing about him - and I expect it's his only claim to fame.
Supplied DI Gower with a handy leg-stump half-tracker for his first ball in Tests, didn't he.

I was going to say 'broke Brearley's arm' but I think that was Sikander Bakht.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
The weirdest one was Dutch quick bowler Andre van Troost whose first name was universally reported as Adrianus for a couple of years before he told the media that this wasn't actually what he was called.

And then there's Pakistan's Abdur Razzaq who's now known as Abdul. Does anyone know whether this was a simple transliteration thingy, or has he changed his name, or was it just an error along the lines of van Troost?
Don't think that one was due to the vagaries of translation. IIRC he changed his name to Abdur (from Abdul), then changed it back.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Also, when the New York Times reported on the Lahore attacks they referred to Umar Gul as 'Omar.' Is this a variation common in North America? Never seen that anywhere else.
Yeah a pretty common way to spell here. My bro-in-law spells his name Omer.

@PF: Yes they're phonical.

My official first name is 'Muhammad' and that is way I like to spell it because that is how you would pronounce it in Arabic. When pronounced in Urdu, it would sound more like Mohammed or Mohammad which is why many people end up spelling it as such. These names are so widespread that there are many different ways of pronouncing them now. Same with Umar (Omer, Omar), Usman (Osman, Uthman), Amir (Ameer), Amir (Aamer, Aamir), etc.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Hah, I remember that. Had this irresistible urge to fling the remote at the television set everytime Ravi Shastri referred to him as Shewag in the commentary. Every Tom, Dick and Harry with passing knowledge of the domestic scene knew his name was Sehwag, and it was probably a typo in the official communication. But Shastri had to keep offering proof of why he's an overpaid ass.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
"Umar" is essentially the Arabic name "Omar". Think the name "Alexander" yet it is also often spelled as "Aliaksandr" by Belarusians.

As someone said, it's because there are no real standards to these names and sometimes certain countries may pronounce them differently and hence spell them slightly differently.

Last edited: